Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied through their website in late November. Received an email from a recruiter in early February to set up two 45 minute back to back interviews. Was only given two time options on the same day (four days from receipt of the email). The interviews were almost entirely technical, consisting of questions about data structures and the Big O of their inserts, removes, indexing etc. Then a coding question where they give you a prompt and you solve it through CollabEdit. They watch everything you type, and you're supposed to talk through your logic as well. Then they ask the Big O of your solution, then they ask if you can think of any ways you can make your solution get a better Big O.

One of my interviewers was somewhat rude when he asked me questions about things I hadn't learned in school yet. The other interviewer was VERY nice and friendly, but he seemed unprepared.

I emailed my recruiter two weeks later thanking him and asking for an update. Received an email less than an hour later that seemed very positive, saying they were hoping to get back to me soon and asking if I could extend any other offer deadlines. Received the 'thanks-but-no-thanks' email two weeks after that (4 total weeks after my interview). I had already received and accepted a generous offer from another company by that time. The slow hiring process is ridiculous and irritating for students who are interviewing with multiple companies. I interviewed with two companies after my interview with Amazon and received offers from both before Amazon got back to me.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty simple and straightforward.
    - Make a function to test whether a number is a binary palindrome.
    - Make a hotdog ordering system.
    - another that I can't remember.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2014.

Interview

Got the interview from AWS team. 2 back-to-back 45 mins interview.
    First interviewer(an indian engineer with terrible accent) asked me a classical Top K question, gave him a solution literally in a minute. However the solution needs a max-heap, commonly just use its api but this time he asked me to implement all, got quite unexpected here, it took me almost 30 mins to finish it. At last I asked question about openstack, unexpectedly he didn't know a thing about it.
    Second round was about string anagrams, still gave him a solution very fast(hash table, O(n) time and O(1) space), it is the best solution. After this talked about my current project, I guess this is where I blew the intern opportunity cause I said it is totally boring :-/ .
    Two interviewers were not nice, sometimes felt quite unpleasant. The HR really didn't respond any of my question and email, and I was told no offer a week later.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online and through university career fair. Two back to back 45-minute interviews were conducted at my school's career fair. Behavioral questions came first, but my first interviewer expressed dissatisfaction with my answers to each question. Technical questions weren't difficult, but I was encouraged to seek a less than ideal solution by my interviewer while trying to figure out the "trick" necessary to solve one problem in linear time.

Interview Questions

• Find the subarray with the largest sum given an unsorted array of positive and negative numbers.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Campus interview. Ask about binary tree and write code on the paper

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied on campus and was invited to on campus interviews. Two technical interviews of 1 hour in duration each.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Internship and hence I did not negotitate

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online and got invited for phone interviews. There were 2 bak-to-back technical phone interviews, each for 45 mins. The questions were very technical, mostly problems that require you to write out some classes and develop some algorithms. There were a couple "which data structure is best for this". One of the interviewers ask me to write a naive approach and write 2 other versions that improve the performance. They also asked for performance of your algorithm.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Campus Interview

Interview Questions

• Simple linked list implementation problems, questions on data structures (hash-maps, etc.), asked to code binary search tree solution to a problem (i can't quite remember the question exactly)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Amherst, MA) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied when Amazon came on campus. I was contacted by a recruiter about a week later to set up interviews. The interview process involved 2 telephonic interviews. I was informed that I would have to give another interview after the first 2 interviews.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly on Data Structures and Algorithms. The interviewers also asked questions about my projects.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I had a friend from my school refer me to the company, and a recruiter reached out to me approximately a week later. She set up two 45-minute phone interviews, with a 10-minute break in between, which were conducted by two Software Development Engineers within the same team. (Normally, at least one team shows interest in your application and decides to interview you for a position within the same group.)

Interview Questions

• Write a function to determine if a tree is a BST.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. The rate was competitive and very generous.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Each lasts for 45 minutes. Basic data structure and algorithm questions. How to decide a binary tree is BST. Inorder tree traversal and Test a sequence of brackets are matched.