Amazon Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,331 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,331 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Arlington, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

1 code debug and cognitive assessment,1 coding round, 1 phone interview. Code debug was easy, coding round was moderate, Phone interview was moderate, asked 1 coding question and test cases to test it. I couldn't solve for the base cases.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2017.

Interview

Bizarre process. Started with an easy online assessment of logic and coding. Then an online behavioral and coding assessment, which was slightly more challenging than the first, but still rather easy. Their platform crashed on the last question and would not compile or save my code, so I didn't get to submit anything. Nevertheless, I got an onsite interview offer where they'd fly us out to Seattle to interview. A few days before I was supposed to go, they emailed saying there had been a mistake, and that I was really supposed to do a final phone interview instead. That happened the next week and was very easy and the interviewer was nice but overall uninterested and eager to go home. He concluded by saying "IF I enter my notes, you'll hear back from HR soon." Over two weeks passed without a response, so I sent a followup email, and still have not heard back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The overall interview process was easy, but very different from others I have experienced. It consisted of three total steps after I was invited to begin the process:

- 1: An online assessment consisting of logic/general computer science multiple choice questions and a Java code debugging section (looking for simple things like missing parentheses, incorrect boolean operators, et cetera).

- 2: A long online assessment. The first section consisted of a workplace simulation where you are set up in a fake workplace environment and receive emails, instant messages, assignments, etc that you then have to answer multiple choice questions about to indicate how you would handle them. The second section consisted of three semi-difficult coding questions, which would have been a lot more manageable except for the fact I didn't budget time well. I actually didn't end up finishing the last problem (I had most of a solution that didn't compile but that also blatantly wasn't the right way to handle the task) and so I was really surprised to move on to the final round.

- After a while, I was invited out to Seattle to interview onsite at the Amazon headquarters. In the email they informed me what I'd be doing while I was out there, and I thought there was some type of error because the layout of the interview event included only one half an hour long interview and then the rest of the time was spent doing things like listening to various teams present their projects and touring the office. I ended up finding out that this was a special interview event for people who performed particularly well on the coding challenge so the interview was essentially to ensure you didn't cheat, and that's exactly what it seemed like. My interviewer essentially just had me explain the 3 solutions I had and asked me to optimize them and when I couldn't even think of how to do that in the moment he just smiled and moved on. The onsite process was very easy and they were very generous with hotel reservations and meal reimbursements.

After a few days I received my offer and ultimately decided not to take it, but the overall process was confusingly simple! My main complain was that my recruiter was pretty non-responsive about making my travel reservations (I kept asking for my flight information and ultimately only got it a few days before I was leaving) and that it all seemed very depersonalized... my request to onsite interview was addressed to "Dear <First Name>". It was a really interesting process but just very, very odd.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions:
      - Find the longest palindromic substring.
      - Return the k-closest points to the center of a cartesian plane given an array of coordinates.
      - Create and return a deep copy of a singly linked list where each node also has an additional pointer to a random node in the list.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Davis, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was invited to for on campus assesement with about 60 other students. Completed the assessment, but never got a response back. The assesment was 2.5 hours long.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

1st Online Assessment approximately 1 hour. Involves a debugging challenge, one/two line changes. Rewrote the entire method for one of the questions. 2nd part of assessment are basically IQ and pattern recognition questions.

2nd online assessment involves a simulation test and a coding challenge. About to take my 2nd assessment this weekend

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

At now, all is OK, and the recruiter is efficient. I'am still in interview process, it hasn't been finished yet.
    Learning algorithm is helping before the interview.
    See others' experience.
    Make preparation for it.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Process took 1 month.

1. Phone-screening with recruiter, about 30-45 minutes.
    2. Technical interview, over the phone and on an online shared notepad (collabedit), consistent of 1 programming question. 1 hour.
    3. On-site technical interview, consisting of an opening with the recruiter (15min), and 4 teams each allotted 45 minutes. There was a 15 minute break after 2 teams. 3.5h total.

The recruiters respond extremely slow. During the on-site interview, the interviewers were in a rush to go to the next interview (practically running off with the chair stuck to their behinds). No time to ask them questions. No kind of closing remarks or at the very least "goodbye thanks for interviewing with us". For the technical/coding questions during the on-site they probably wanted 100% correct answers, or answers that they knew themselves. Overall, they could have spared themselves and me the 3 hour visit by giving a coding assignment or an online quiz to do from home. The rush during the on-site interview came off as rude - and the point of white boarding ("to have a conversation" was moot). Should you fail at any of the steps, you are blocked for 1 year from applying ("You can still apply to roles, but we strongly encourage waiting a year to develop your skills."). Sent quite a bit of preparation material, suggesting that this is the interview, out of all the ones you've ever been to, to prepare for. Honestly, they seemed to have gotten a bit fat and full of themselves.

Interview Questions

• Each of the team asked 1 soft question and 1 coding question. The soft questions were almost directly from their preparation material. The coding questions weren't hard, though they were looking for 100% correct answers that they knew rather than the whole "we want to have a talk with you and the way you think". Reason I'm not providing them, NDA, and they will most likely shuffle the questions or read some new ones out of a book.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

First, online assessment, second, another online assessment, third, on-site interview. I had an interview at Seattle, WA. I turned out to be lucky, had only a 30 mins easy interview.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

First, you receive an online debug challenge. This is pretty simple. Anyone with experience in an introductory CS class should be able to complete these. The next step is another online coding challenge along with a video assessment. The coding challenge consists of 3 total problems. First two are easy - medium and the last one is hard. For the video assessment you have to watch videos and answer questions accordingly regarding teamwork and the development process. The final round is an onsite group assessment. You will have group activities but all coding will be done individually. You'll have 2 "interviews" with devs while you code your solutions. These are more like discussions about your code as opposed to a typical interview. Be comfortable with OOP and be prepared to read and understand other people's code and you should do well.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Had to go through a debugging and simple reasoning test followed by a more in-depth programming assignment and a work simulation. Got into the on-site group assessment. Make sure you complete milestone 1 very quickly and have an idea of how you will implement milestone 2. Talk to the programming proctors and make sure you understand a high level overview of the general problem and your solution.

Interview Questions

• Use an in-built api to achieve some additional functionality.   1 Answer