Amazon Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,294 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,294 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

Two online assessments. The first one consists of a code debugging section and a reasoning section. The second one consists of a coding section and a work style survey. The overall difficulty is not hard.

Interview Questions

• Some sequencing questions in reasoning section.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

About 2-3 weeks after applying I was emailed a link to do an assessment that was about an hour long. It included 7 easy debugging questions, and a couple dozen logic/pattern questions which were a little more challenging. A week after completing that, I received an email to do a programming assessment. This one consisted of two programming challenges, one on data types and one on algorithms. A few days after completing that I received another email to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer called me on the scheduled time and the interview was about an hour long. 10 minutes was questions about my past projects and school history. 45 minutes were spent on a technical challenge. And 5 minutes at the end was available for me to ask questions.

Overall, I was dissapointed by the lack of human contact and the text editor they used online for the phone interview was very buggy.

Interview Questions

• Out of respect for Amazon, I won't share specifics, but the question in the interview came down to finding a recursive solution to the problem presented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through referral ,gave Online assessment - 1st round - debugging questions and reasoning (easy if you are in touch with coding) , 2nd round - work simulation (easy) and coding.This online coding round was web cam proctored by amcat and had 3 questions.First one was longest palindromic substring (my code was working but was only able to pass all test cases),second question was rectangle overlap .These two questions were supposed to be solved in 1 hour..After that there is a 30 min coding question.

Interview Questions

• My 30 min coding question was related to tree where all nodes were managers each node has a value which was the number of months they worked.We have to find the maximum tenure which is I remember can be calculated using the average of its child nodes.   7 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

I applied on the careers website in early October. I didn't hear anything until early January when I was given a 20 minute code debugging assessment and 30 minute logical reasoning test. The debugging was really easy. You just had to fix the mistake. The logical reasoning was alright. Not too bad but you have to be quick. Two days after I finished it, I was given a 70 minute coding assessment and 10 minute work style assessment. The coding assessment had 2 problems and was pretty simple. The work style assessment consisted of putting agree/disagree/etc. for statements. Three days after finishing that, I received my offer. I never had a phone interview or anything.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

applied online. Got an email to complete the online assessment . Pretty easy. 7 debugging question and some logical reasoning question. Then after a day got another email to complete the second online assessment where it consisted of 70 mins coding question and then a work style survey about amazon principles. There were 2 coding questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for SDE Intern role in early november and did not receive call until Mid January. I emailed the HR consultant and she sent me a test invite for 7 debugging questions. I did 6/7 correct but got a reject, possibly due to Logical Reasoning questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Portland, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

Had an initial round of phone call. A technical round asking questions about basic binary trees and basic java like difference between binary trees and binary search tree. It was overall an easy interview. They also had questions on difference between a class and an instance.

Interview Questions

• List down the paths in a binary tree that sum up to the given sum (coding question)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I had an email to join on campus recruitment. I applied online and I got response after 2 months. I basically took online assessment test and it was very easy for me. If you know basic fundamentals, you will be good. Overall, it was worthy to apply and at least had an interview with Amazon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Luis Obispo, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

2 Online coding challenges (first one was all logic based, second was was coding)
    1 Phone/coding challenge
    Offer!
    The entire process took about 3 weeks, 1 week for each online coding challenge, and then another week for them to schedule a phone/codepad interview. Overall very good experience.

Interview Questions

• fizz buzz and variations on it.
      Implementing queue with stack.
      finding intersection of 2 lists.
      Optimization on all 3.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Few weeks later got the 1st online test, then a week later got the 2nd online test (work simulation/ coding). Thought I failed the coding part but was fairly surprised when they asked to schedule a video interview two weeks later.

The video interview was short, only 30 min. The interviewer mainly just wanted to about the company and any questions I had about Amazon. We went over one of my solutions for the coding portion of the 2nd online assignment and after some questions he said they would get back to me within the week about how to proceed.

I thought this meant onsite if i passed, however to my surprise I received an offer three days later.