Amazon Software Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer I Interview Questions

3.1

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Received an email that they are impressed with my Resume and would like to set up a telephone interview which is technical round Screening for the initial process. I was given a URL where I can write the logic. Mainly focussed on Data Structures.

Interview Questions

• Inteviewer directly jumped into code and asked me to write code to find the maximum count of consecutive numbers in a 2 dimensional array?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

After receiving an email from HR person in amazon, set the phone the phone interview. just went over my resume and set the coding interview. IT guy called at the exact time and sent me a link that I could access to. I had to write a code and explain what I am writing for to the IT guy though the phone.

Interview Questions

• Mostly data structure and algorithm questions were given. linked list, set, and collections.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Quick phone call, online programming exam (that had technical issues), passed both, flew to seattle to interview.

The interview itself was great, the interviewers were professional and friendly. The accommodations were nice, and the process was seamless. However, there was one major aspect of the interview that irked me. Please see my explanation below:

There were many indicators that I job I interviewed for was not the job I applied for.
        - An interview mentioned that it was an SDE2 position, while I was definitely not qualified for SDE2, and applied for SDEI.
        - I applied for a Software Development Engineering position, and afterwards I asked the recruiter what job I interviewed for, and they said it was a Fullstack Engineer position.
        - The night before my interview (while I was in Seattle) a different recruiter asked me to set up a phone screen for what I assume is a different role.

Also, after the interview, I waited a month to hear back (granted it was over a holiday...). I emailed a few times to no response, and when they did response to the email they claimed they left a voicemail but I never received it. I was turned down over an email. When I began to ask questions about what role I interviewed for the recruiter seemed dodgy.

Interview Questions

• -- signed an nda saying I wouldn't share this information --   2 Answers

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in November 2016.

Interview

First email, containing an online assessment, some simple debugging and a logic test.
    Second email, a 3 hour online assessment, 1 work simulation and the other half coding, 3 questions. Overall, I think the simulation was a waste of time and should of just jumped right into coding.

Interview Questions

• First question involved strings, second question was a bit ambiguous, third involved use of hashmaps.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online
    Recruiter contacted with in 2 days
    Phone interview was setup - One hour - 2 coding questions - more concentration on edge cases
    Onsite interview call on next day of phone interview
    Onsite interview was setup on a chosen date of mine - 5 interviews - one hour each - was exhausted by then end of the day

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Three rounds. First two were online assessments. On site interview. Amazon reserved the hotel and booked round trip air tickets for me. Checked in in the morning. Then grouped (3 for one group) to solve problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online last summer and got replied by a recruiter asking me to finish an online assessment. There were three problems. The first one is to check whether the linked-list has a loop. The second one is to find the top five test scores for each student while giving me a list of students and their scores. The last one is also an easy linked list problem.
    About one week after the online assessment. I got an onsite interview opportunity in Seattle.

The onsite interview has four rounds and the questions were all coding questions excluding OOD and system design. The team that interviewed me is the kindle team that focused on asking me questions about data structures. I remember the first question was to build a comparator that sorts the given strings. The second is to reverse a listed list. The next interviewer gave me a scheduling problem. I don't remember the details but I used a priority queue to solve it. The last interview question is to give you several points on a 2D plane and find the nearest 500 points near one given point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I was originally contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. After responding I was able to set up an appointment. Amazon was conducting a series of interviews in NYC which lasted about half a day. There were 5 interviewers (including HR) and the interview process and questions were almost identical to those defined in Cracking the Coding Interview. This was my first interview in 7 years and I have to say they did a great job of making me feel comfortable during the process. My previous experiences weren't all that great.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions weren't all that difficult and there was very little pressure in solving them. The point was really to see the process of arriving at your answer. The most difficult question was to explain the cardinality of depth first and breadth first search and explain how the algorithms could be written. I actually missed that one as I haven't looked at a text book in years. The question I remembered most was the one about having 2 eggs and dropping them off a 100 story building to determine at what floor they begin to break. What is the least amount of attempts required to determine this answer?   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process at Amazon varies pretty widely from team to team and there doesn't seem to be much standardization. Pretty much all of the questions are either algorithmic puzzles or software design problems.

I met with five different people over the course of the interview. Three of them were developers who asked me design and algorithm questions. One was a manager who also asked me similar questions. One was an HR representative who asked me soft questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a warehouse (with books, shelves, etc.) using OOO concepts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews with Amazon. I was invited to in-person interview after the first one that lasted about 2 hours. Couldn't go to Seattle at that time, so I declined. Recently, I had interviewed over the phone/online coding again. Haven't heard back yet, perhaps it's not been long enough. I feel their phone and online interview is a fair game for entry level position, consisting mostly of testing of general knowledge of data structures and algorithms. Trees, hash tables, list, algorithms used on them. I felt the interviews were testing knowledge of this subject matter mostly and questions were how to optimize/improve the algorithm also. Nothing too tricky or unusual. They didn't care which language one would use either.