Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Online coding tests were very easy. However on-site group interview was not a good set-up for me. They were not interested in my background and who I am as a person but rather if I can code quickly.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Did very well on all parts of the interview. Completed code and tested. The guy even said he wanted to work with me. They never emailed me and I just saw reviewed, not accepted. I take it they do this a lot

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

OA finished in 45 minutes including easy debug questions some math questions and behavior questions. The time is very limited and you have to be quick. Dont waste too much time on the debuging quesitons

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Ineed and had an initial phone screen with the recruiter about my experience, the position, etc. Moved onto the phone interview with a developer which was absolutely awful.

- First two times he tried to call, I heard nothing on the other line. He finally gets through on the third attempt.
    - My interviewer didn't have good communication skills and seemed like he was in a rush to get to other things. He also failed to really describe the position in any real detail.
    - We used an online collaborative code editor which initially went down for a couple of minutes but then came back up. Once it did, the highlighting it had on my cursor gave me a lot of trouble writing code.
    - I worked through his 2 coding questions after about 45 mins. In retrospect, I probably took too long and should have just Googled the answers and parroted them back to him like I'm sure most applicants do.
    - Denied the next week, likely due to point above.

Interview Questions

• Given an arbitrary integer, tell whether or not it is prime.   Answer Question
    • Given a user object (that you define), how would you develop a way to find all of that user's friends' book recommendations?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I did not get the job, so you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt. The interview was with Amazon.com, the job was writing monitoring system to prevent faults within their systems. I did not really get the impression that their engineering groups are all that great at this. While everyone seemed competent at their job, they all seemed to be under immense pressure. This was further underlined for me when at lunch the TPM told me that her ideal staffing for the team was 14 and there was no way she could really expect more than 2 or 3 engineers. When there is such a disconnect between what they are able to get and what a PM thinks is ideal, there's a problem. I can understand why they will want to hire tens of thousands of engineers in the future. It seems to me that there is no overall understanding of their architecture. Everyone seems perpetually confused by the fact that hardware is not 100% reliable. More than one person mentioned something like "Well, we can be sending packets but if the other end isn't listening what do you do?" It seems that a single hard drive filling up caused an entire AWS data center to go down. I simply am unable to understand how this could have happened, it is not all that difficult to come up with engineering solutions that are near infinitely-scalable, especially with the amount of money and theoretical engineering talent they have. I would guess that their fundamental problem is that they do not understand the difference between good coding and good engineering, and their solution is to keep throwing more code at it in the hope that that is the solution.

If you get an offer, I would recommend you take it, simply because they have lots of money and you will get the opportunity to write good code. However, be prepared to work hard, and eventually, you are certain to be in a position where you will have to take responsibility for things that are not your fault.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

I interviewed with this company almost three times. In fact, I was a little shocked by one of their recruiters. If they need me to apply online, they should tell me rather than fill my personal information without my permission. In particular, the information they filled (ex: applicant name, address and more ) is totally wrong. Moreover, this recruiter even forgot our interview appointment, it showed that she didn't care much of this interview and the applicant without an apology. Her English ability is a bit weak since I really spoke some simple words. In many aspects, this recruiter made me feel that she isn't quite professional.

Personally, I'm not sure why most of their interviewers are more emotional no matter they reject you or invite you for an opportunity. However, I appreciate they always replied me very fast. I still recommend people to apply to this company even though some situations may make you down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Absolutely the worst experience I've ever had. I applied through an employee referral, a friend high up in engineering, and waited...months...Two months, technically. Around the second month, I applied to a couple more positions posted online. Still nothing for another couple of weeks. Finally, I got a request to perform an online assessment. I had done these before, so no big deal. I finished. Basic code debugging, and I finished with a few minutes to spare with all cases passing. I took the time to ensure that before hitting submit. Then, the reasoning test. It was similar to those online IQ tests for pattern recognition. I was nervous about this one, but after settling in, I got the hang of it. The next day, there was an automatic rejection email in my box. How is that even remotely possible? I did well on both parts, even the "reasoning" questions. Did no human ever look over anything in this process? I know this is a large company, but it is INCREDIBLY insulting to be treated like this when I went through all the proper avenues. No phone interview, even. When I've applied in the past, I've at least had the courtesy of that much. I am outraged that this is how the company treats qualified applicants.

Interview Questions

• Just look up AMCAT questions. Go nuts. Won't do any good.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I finished 2 online assessment with all test cases passed. Then I was refused after a few weeks. Maybe my work simulation is not good or I am not lucky.

Interview Questions

• Working Simulation and 3 coding questions.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

It is an online assessment and it is so called OA1 which contains two part of problems, first part is debugging 7 pieces of problems and second part is logic test. There are some problems need to find the rules of populating a series.

Interview Questions

• Debugging 7 pieces of code   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I started with a phone screen tech interview and was asked to do 3 coding assignment. Reverse LinkedList, merge sorted list of lists into one sorted list. An interviewer was very friendly, but unfortunately, it was my first interview and I missed few points.