Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Did 2 phone screens - one was behavioral the 2nd was technical. Both reviewers seemed really nice. Got a generic rejection email after the technical even though I thought I answered the question ok in O(n). Asked for feedback but never heard back.

Interview Questions

• (there was slightly more to it, but basically) Given 2 character arrays, find the largest number of common elements   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Online coding tests were very easy. However on-site group interview was not a good set-up for me. They were not interested in my background and who I am as a person but rather if I can code quickly.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA so cannot share interview question   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Did very well on all parts of the interview. Completed code and tested. The guy even said he wanted to work with me. They never emailed me and I just saw reviewed, not accepted. I take it they do this a lot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an interview with their Consumer payment team.

Phone screen > Onsite (6 rounds)

The phone screen was good, the interviewer asked from different area's, starting with some behavioural questions, 2 coding (leetcode medium/easy) and 1 System design.

During onsite i had 6 interviews rounds including lunch. The interview started really well.

1st round was the TPM and he only asked behavioural questions.

2nd round, two engineers (3-4 years experience) came. He started asking some behavioural questions and than followed by the coding question. He was asking the question by looking at GeeksforGeeks website. When i asked him to explain me the question with a different example, he was not able to do so. Why the hell Amazon have such engineers? Do they memorize questions/examples/answers?

3rd round was with one engineer (3-4 years experience). He started asking some behavioural questions and than followed by the system design question. He had no interest in the interview and was just doing something else.

4th round, OOPS design.

5th round, lunch - Good

6th round - Good; Coding + Behavioural questions

Interview Questions

• Leetcode medium + lot of behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

OA finished in 45 minutes including easy debug questions some math questions and behavior questions. The time is very limited and you have to be quick. Dont waste too much time on the debuging quesitons

Interview Questions

• Basically some easy debug qustions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Ineed and had an initial phone screen with the recruiter about my experience, the position, etc. Moved onto the phone interview with a developer which was absolutely awful.

- First two times he tried to call, I heard nothing on the other line. He finally gets through on the third attempt.
    - My interviewer didn't have good communication skills and seemed like he was in a rush to get to other things. He also failed to really describe the position in any real detail.
    - We used an online collaborative code editor which initially went down for a couple of minutes but then came back up. Once it did, the highlighting it had on my cursor gave me a lot of trouble writing code.
    - I worked through his 2 coding questions after about 45 mins. In retrospect, I probably took too long and should have just Googled the answers and parroted them back to him like I'm sure most applicants do.
    - Denied the next week, likely due to point above.

Interview Questions

• Given an arbitrary integer, tell whether or not it is prime.   1 Answer
    • Given a user object (that you define), how would you develop a way to find all of that user's friends' book recommendations?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn for a specific position within the AWS group. We agreed my experience made me qualified for two teams. Set up a 45-minute technical phone interview with two engineers, one from each team in question. Received email notice from recruiter two hours later that Amazon was not moving forward with my application.

Interview Questions

• Coding question re: algorithms in the language of my choice   1 Answer
    • Please give a two-minute introduction of yourself.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when you took the initiative on a project and assumed leadership of the project. What was the end result of your leadership?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by the hiring manager, had a phone interview, had in person interviews. I worked with 4 different recruiters through out the process, including the one who sent me my rejection email, with the wrong team name..he said it was a "typo".

I've honestly never felt more like a cog in a machine. The last in person interview, the two people walked in, wrote a problem on the board, said their names and sat down. 45 minutes later, they got up and walked out. Through out the time they were very unhelpful and didnt seem to care that I had questions that I would have liked to have answered.

While Amazon says they're doing a lot to improve the culture, from my experience, it doesn't seem like anything has changed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I did not get the job, so you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt. The interview was with Amazon.com, the job was writing monitoring system to prevent faults within their systems. I did not really get the impression that their engineering groups are all that great at this. While everyone seemed competent at their job, they all seemed to be under immense pressure. This was further underlined for me when at lunch the TPM told me that her ideal staffing for the team was 14 and there was no way she could really expect more than 2 or 3 engineers. When there is such a disconnect between what they are able to get and what a PM thinks is ideal, there's a problem. I can understand why they will want to hire tens of thousands of engineers in the future. It seems to me that there is no overall understanding of their architecture. Everyone seems perpetually confused by the fact that hardware is not 100% reliable. More than one person mentioned something like "Well, we can be sending packets but if the other end isn't listening what do you do?" It seems that a single hard drive filling up caused an entire AWS data center to go down. I simply am unable to understand how this could have happened, it is not all that difficult to come up with engineering solutions that are near infinitely-scalable, especially with the amount of money and theoretical engineering talent they have. I would guess that their fundamental problem is that they do not understand the difference between good coding and good engineering, and their solution is to keep throwing more code at it in the hope that that is the solution.

If you get an offer, I would recommend you take it, simply because they have lots of money and you will get the opportunity to write good code. However, be prepared to work hard, and eventually, you are certain to be in a position where you will have to take responsibility for things that are not your fault.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

I interviewed with this company almost three times. In fact, I was a little shocked by one of their recruiters. If they need me to apply online, they should tell me rather than fill my personal information without my permission. In particular, the information they filled (ex: applicant name, address and more ) is totally wrong. Moreover, this recruiter even forgot our interview appointment, it showed that she didn't care much of this interview and the applicant without an apology. Her English ability is a bit weak since I really spoke some simple words. In many aspects, this recruiter made me feel that she isn't quite professional.

Personally, I'm not sure why most of their interviewers are more emotional no matter they reject you or invite you for an opportunity. However, I appreciate they always replied me very fast. I still recommend people to apply to this company even though some situations may make you down.