Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Started with the standard 2 online rounds. Didn't ace the technical questions on the second round but made it to the onsites anyway.

At no point in the process did I actually get to speak with the recruiter. All communication was seemingly through computer-generated emails and your responses seem to go into some digital black hole. My onsite interview was delayed twice after the spot I asked for "filled up" despite answering the email within 5 minutes. When my interview finally scheduled I had to send many urgent emails because I was not contacted in order to schedule flights until 2 days before my interview.

I had the "group" interview in Seattle. The group portion only lasts a few minutes, the rest of the time you're coding on your own. An engineer speaks to you for about 15 minutes at the end. I could hardly understand the engineer I was paired with, he had a very think accent and was very quite so that made communication difficult. Finally, getting my results took OVER A MONTH which is, frankly, unacceptable. I've interviewed at many companies large and small and no one has ever taken anything close to that amount of time.

My interview experience gave the impression that Amazon doesn't really care about you as an individual, you're just a part in their machine. The entire process was shockingly impersonal.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 Manager interviews. 3 Technical interviews. On-site. Phone screen beforehand. In meeting room with whiteboard - need to use the whiteboard for most answers. Interviewed by one person except a couple that had a shadow. All expenses were paid. Interview was all business. Questions were not too difficult but consider large data for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• How to sort multiple arrays gigabytes in size
      How to organize an airport
      What is quicksort
      How to find the best score going through a mystery book where each page has a score and different options for the next page until the end
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Several steps.

First someone calls for 15min "what is up" questions. Then they schedule phone screening. Then they rescheduled for Thursday but called me on Wednesday. However, they got timing correct, I was home and quickly walked to my computer to take test.

That was the online phone tech screening.
    First a few questions about what you did before in your life. I asked if he wants some specifics instead of whole life story and that helped to not waste our time on staff that is irrelevant at this step.

Next was the problem, it was easy problem, described below. I explain exactly the algorithm as it was stupid easy. The only issue I had was that it is in a text editor and day-to-day work you use some IDE that gives you all functions of each object you use. In particular I needed to sort() and I could not remember if the sort function takes call back, lambda or something else in the language I used for the interview. I was recently working with several different languages and each has different syntax for sort. The interviewer did not like that. The I said that I think it takes lambda function with 2 args and returns true/false. He googled and it was not the case for this language. Oh well, I never met a developer who is not using Google nor StackOverflow every day.

Another thing is that the interviewer was going on silent and when I had a question he probably was somewhere else and did not answer several times..

Finally at the end he asked if I have questions. I actually wanted to learn more about Amazon. However, he answered first 2 questions in short sentences and then pretty much let me know he does not want to talk any more.

Summary: I agree that developers should be tested on algorithm implementation. However, if real IDE is not used then it needs to be in a pseudo language because in nowadays it is pointless to remember all syntax sugar of each language, - IDE does it for you, the same way as we do not code in assembly any more.

Interview Questions

• Split string by letters and count how many times each letter appear there.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

There are two online assessments and one phone interview. After I finished OA1 and OA2, error happened due to system bug. Then I had to wait entire one week to get reply from HR. That's so stupid. The whole process took me almost one month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Got contacted to take a online assignment. Had 7 one-line program debugging, and then 24 multiple choice puzzles. it was not too difficult and I had plenty of time. However, I have not been contacted in about a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a phone interview, one hour long. Position was basically for network engineers. I got the interview within 30days after I applied. The interviewer was nice. He went through my resume and asked couples of questions and then asked some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between HTTP 1.0 and 1.1?   1 Answer
    • What tools you use to troubleshoot network?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn. Was given a coding challenge at HackerRank, which was moderate, but practical.
    Eventually was invited to on-site interview in Seattle, where I had all day long interview.
    I was under strong impression everything went well. Just one thing was suspicious - all interviewers were young, and when I asked about average team age - they mentioned a number below 30. Taking into account they work 10+ hours a day, they definitely don't want to consider family guys of age around 40. That's my best guess. Worth to mention I was watching for people coming in and out and they were pretty young too, that is also why my guess can be right. Obviously I did not feel as I'm a good fit for them because of that.
    Having previous successful interview experiences with other companies like Microsoft, I can imagine these guys are looking for young slaves. Given that they don't pay above the market, I see no reasons to go there unless you don't want to loose your family or you are a single work-addicted person.
    To contrast - Microsoft and Facebook interviews were fair, practical and they are giving some details on where you failed (if you failed). These guys would never tell you the truth.
    The office building.. was simply dirty. Maybe I used to work with in much cleaner spaces in Europe, but other offices in the US are much nicer.
    What was good about this experience? - they paid for the trip to Seattle. Appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• NDA.. but I can say this: the books like Cracking Coding Interviews are useless there, but solving problems with HackerRank would make some sense.
      The coding challenges were not difficult at all. Basic data structures and clean coding on the board is all you need to master.
      And you definitely cannot prepare to all those behavioral questions as well as design and estimate questions.
      Be genuine.
      Answer Question

Application

Interview

1. Debugging and Reasoning round (Online)
    2. Work Simulation and Two Coding rounds (Online) - 2 medium questions and 1 hard
    3. Onsite group assessment round (Jan 26th) - Waiting for the result

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Denver, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via linked in. They passed me off to another recruiter, who then setup a phone interview. The phone interview was much easier than expected considering I've been out of academia for a decade.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were passionate about a direction to take, but your team decided to go another path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me the coding interview email with the name of the interviewer. At the interview day, the interviewer who interviewed me was not the listed interviewer. This caused confusion. The interviewer was 10min late and with strong accent. Turned out to be the manager of the team. When I asked the recruiter if this is the typical interview process at Amazon. The recruiter replied back: "Due to the fast-paced nature of work at Amazon, there can be last-minute changes with interviewers." This may look ok to Amazon recruiters but could cause confusions.