Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,131 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,131 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online, only did the first test after passing screening. Took a while to get a response back. Test was pretty straightforward, but felt like I didn't have enough time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was good and what was expected from a standard software engineering interview. I would have liked it better had I been accepted. But I was not. So that is that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. After a brief call with recruiter I was asked to give an online coding test. After the test I got an invite for onsite interviews where I had 4 interviews.

The level for technical questions was easy. I didn't take more than 20-30 min in discussing all trade-offs, finding optimal solutions and writing code. But the other 30-40 min in each interview were focused on behavioral questions. In the end I got sick of it. Their questions started like "tell me an instance when you were the on-call engineer and ...", well I have never been on-call as I don't work on a service product. Instance when you went ahead of you team scope, instance when you worked under pressure, instance when you worked in tight deadline, something that proved difficult to implement. I was not prepared to think of all the examples. I felt they don't care much about your technical knowledge, just your leadership attitude, something that can be easily faked with some preparation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an instance when you were the on-call engineer and found something challenging to fix. How did you approach it?
      Instance when you went ahead of you team scope.
      Instance when you worked under pressure.
      Instance when you worked in tight deadline.
      Something that proved difficult to implement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me directly and scheduled an phone interview with two engineers.
    Got some positive feedback and asked me to go for onsite interview.
    Totally 5 rounds: 1 round of system design, 2 rounds of behaviors and 2 rounds of technical. For each round, the interviewer asked many behavior questions (including technical rounds).
    I did not prepare enough examples for behavior questions and I thought it might be the main reason. Amazon really focuses a lot on leadership principles.

Interview Questions

• A LOT of behavior questions. Basic algorithms about map, set, array.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

First part was two online assessments dealing with logic questions and then coding questions. Afterwards, they cancelled my flight for the final round because they had already found their candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2018.

Interview

Had a brief call with an HR Recruiter, who reached out to me asking if I was interested in interviewing. She passed a technical assessment to me which was a 90 minute timed 2 question test that I had a week to start and turn in. My answers passed at least half of the test cases on both problems. Rejection email sent the following day.

Interview Questions

• The usual pretentious brain teasers you can expect from Big 4 that take graduate-level regurgitation of data structure and algorithm problems to work through for an ultra-optimized solution.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2018.

Interview

First round: debug section and logical/pattern questions
    Second round: 2 coding questions (focus on graphs, trees, arrays)
    Third Round: 2 coding questions on Skype platform (again focus on trees, graphs, arrays, data structures)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Set up dates for phone screening, was called on time. First asked me about my background and most recent challenging project; then started coding. Finally asked if I have questions to him.

Interview Questions

• 1 check if a binary tree is a binary search tree
      2 a question related to using graph for depenencies   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in February 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contact, phone screen, SDE assessment, get flown to Seattle, meet a bunch of other interviewees. Once that happens, you get broken into groups and go into different interviews, on rotation I believe.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The first interview was just a conversation over the phone. The second interview was on-line coding assessment. It is strongly advised that the interviewee speak out loud thoughts and talk to the interviewer while solving the problem.