Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,018 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,018 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received the 30 mininutes x 2 test link. I was allowed to take the test within 2 weeks. First test was all basic java/c syntax and the data structure and fixing the errors. Second one was more like IQ/EQ test such that you read the long sentences and figure out the answer out of it. It was more like reading test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

Recruiter found me and I just applied to their Annapurna labs. 1nd round phone screen is from the team, he asked about OS related question includes multithreaded, synchronization, and some simple coding exercise with some system performance related follow up. It was interesting. However, 2nd Phone interview they assigned a guy from AWS and I felt this is so unprofessional. The question is some resource allocator which allocate instances for task with resource requirement . First, they use Java, which I'm not very familiar with. Second, the input is not very clear and is very misleading. There was no sample input and output either. In the first 30 min, I was just trying to figure out how the question is like. And next 10 min I present a solution and interviewer said its not he wants because the resource cannot be separated into 2 instances, which He didn't tell me before. Then next few minutes I just noticed that the question is very hard then he admitted, the real solution is very very hard. Then he explained that the question is more complex version of knapsack problem. Finally I realized that he just wants something works but not necessarily the best solution. I asked him why he asked the question and he said it was closed to something they faced before. There is so much I can complain. First, expecting people to figure out and answer such question in less than 1 hour? Second, he didn't even check your resume, while I clearly write my most comfortable language is C/C++. Third, no concrete input/output in the beginning? That is VERY professional. Fourth, since I applied for embedded engineering/ OS / hardware, software integration, I don't feel the question is much related. I understand the interviewer wanted to come up something interesting but it just turned out to be a mess. I will say among all the interviews in my career, this is definitely the worst! It just wastes my time!

Interview Questions

• some resource allocator which allocate instances for task with resource requirement   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

The process takes 3 months, including 2 OA and onsite group interview. The group interview is extremely intense and hard. Even you work it out you still can not get the offer. You must be in good luck.

Interview Questions

• Some data structure and algorithm questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2016.

Interview

Bottom line: Amazon is opaque and difficult to talk to. I thought I would have a good chance at getting an interview, considering a colleague of mine with the same college education and work experience (we were at the same job out of school) was hired there, but it wasn't enough. The lack of communication makes me question whether or not the company would have been a good place to work, because I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to deal with others in the organization that just refuse to answer you when you reach out to them.

I reached out to Amazon several times:

1. I reached out to a friend who was working at Amazon. He told me he gave it to his manager. I badgered him weekly for over a month before he told me that his manager didn't have a job to offer after all. That's ok, but it took a long time to hear back.

2. I reached out to a previous recruiter. This recruiter said that she would see if she had anything available. I emailed her to check in every week or two, but she never got back to me.

3. I found a job through the Amazon Jobs site and applied through email, because their application website was not working. After two to three weeks I heard back from someone, who said a member on their team would reach out to me. I waited two weeks before emailing her again, stating that no one got in touch with me. She told me a different member of her team would reach out to me. I waited another two weeks before trying to contact the person directly, which failed. Finally, after emailing the job recruiter again, she told me that the team decided not to go forward with my resume. I asked if they could tell me why, so that I could improve my resume, and I was told that they couldn't get me that information.

3.5 Several people reached out to me about jobs that would have required relocation. I told them that I would not be able to do that, but I would be interested if they knew someone I could talk to for a job in my area. I didn't hear back from any of them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online on amazon.jobs, but their online job board is crappy and full of bugs. After one week, I got email from Amazon.com recruiter from India, wanting me to do their code assessment from HackerRank.com. There were 10 different coding assignment that you need to complete in very less time. Out of 10, 9 of them were correct but did not get time to finish the 10th one. I emailed the recruiter who lived in India that I finished the code assignment and I got email stating, he will sent to team for review. After one month, I did not get feedback. I emailed him after one and half month, another recruiter from India stated on email that I am not being selected. Basically they are not looking for human, but Robot to do their software engineer work. Their interview process is JOKE!!!

Interview Questions

• 10 different coding data structure assignment in very less time via HackerRank.com   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Noida (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Noida (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

A test which contains 22 questions (12 technical from DS,OS,netwrks,C etc and 8 apti.)+2 coding questions.
    Interview from DS... very strong logical and programming skills required .Ques can be any from trees or linked list.... and you have to optimize fr ech answer as they'll ask to do

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Amazon in April 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a technical phone interview. The interview started with general software engineering questions about polymorphism, inheritance, encapsulation, etc. I then had some questions on sorting algorithms and the differences between them and their run time in terms of big O notation. We then proceeded to the live coding portion of the interview using Collabedit. I was asked to implement a binary search tree for an array of integers and talk about the run time of binary search tree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Gainesville, FL) in February 2014.

Interview

Talking about resume at first and then two technical questions. There're nothing too much about others. As always, the recruiter will talk about how he likes Seattle and how nice it is to work at Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Find the longest repeating substring of a given string. For example, given "banana", the longest repeating substring is "ana".
      OOD, desgin Black Jack.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through linkedin and asked if I was interested in joining a hiring event. They did a very good job on arranging everything and interview process went smooth. However it was difficult for me, you get questions from overall data structures and even from deeper subjects of computer sciences. Make sure you know everything about trees and hash tables. You might also get many behaviourial questions.

Interview Questions

• Same kind of behaviourial question asked by each interviewer asking another answer each time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Invited to Zurich for Recruitment Event. I was contacted over linkedIn. Over there I was interviewed by 5 person from the team I would have joined

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system to distribute compressed data to mobile devices.   1 Answer