Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,086 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,086 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2017.

Interview

I did two online tests, but received email last week saying there is no more head counts. This is totally waste lots of my time. I used one whole week to prepare the online tests. After the online tests, I waited three weeks to get response from Amazon HR. The only response I received is the test results are not reviewed because there is no more head counts.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Some behavior questions about how I solved challenges from my past projects. Some algorithms and one object oriented design. There are four rounds and tour before and after them, five minutes between each sessions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Short behavioral interview asking about past projects and going through my resume. Recruiter was nice and asked about project details and edge cases. This interview was rather informal, and I didn't get an offer for the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

After referral, submit application online. then two round online assignment tests. Based on the OA result, you will have one of the three result: video, video format onsite interview or white board onsite interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Berkeley, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Coding Assessment, a debugging section and a logical problem solving section.
    Waited 2 days
    Coding Challenge, 2 questions typical leetcode easy/medium question
    Waited 4 days to schedule a phone interview
    Phone Interview 45 mins with 3 questions after asking general background

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cupertino, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Typical process: recruiter contact, phone screen / OA, onsite.The phone screen / OA coding was fine, typical algorithm problems. However, the onsite interview went downhill really fast.
        The interview was constructed heavily focused on behavioral questions, even though the hiring manager explained at last coding was the dominating factor. I knew I didn't perform well and probably wouldn't get an offer, but still there were several red flags would make me walk away even an offer was extended.
        Several interviewers were very distracted and rude. When I answered that my former coworkers were very helpful and nice to me and each other, the manager did not just disbelieve me, but was snarky and laughed about it, which made me a bit shocked but since that was the first round, I didn't really think that much.
        The second interviewer was checking her phone and emails all the time while I was coding and talking through, so I had to go back and explain everything all over again, yet she told me I misunderstood the question even though I did draw out the solution, explained details and even asked her "permission" to code it up. But that's fine, since it took two people to misunderstand each other, and it did show my communication skill was not that strong.
        The lunch session was a disaster, the guy was talking on his phone and then texting while leading me the way to the lunch place, and I had to pace up and ask him all sorts questions. Same situation continued through the whole lunch, it was either me asking questions, him texting, or awkward silences. I mean if one was so not welcoming and interested into a candidate, just don't waste other people's time. During the lunch, I confirmed all of them would be on the same team where the position was, and that was the moment I decided to pass even got an offer.
        After that I just didn't care anymore, and all the interviewers asked about situations of "pushing back" coworkers, not once, all of them, and some even asked multiple times with different wording. I just wonder what would it be like to work on that team. I mean, I get it, it's Amazon, and people are "smart" there. But being snarky, arrogant, rude and disrespectful are totally irrelevant. After all it's a job, which doesn't make people any superior to other folks.
        I didn't get an offer, not surprising at all. But life is happy and I don't have to think about the power games and pushing back my fellow coworkers all the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Took 2 assessment test, but onsite interview. They hired enough people so that they have canceled onsite interviews. The assessment test were not difficult and were not very very easy. It is moderate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Detroit, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

I had a Telephone Interview and after the phone screening i was sent a link for Online Technical Exam which I had to take within a week. Exam was hard and I did not clear.

Interview Questions

• Question about my previous projects.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Tempe, AZ) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied for the software engineering intern. There were two OAs, but you can do them once if you choose to finish in Amazon local site when the company HR arrives.

Interview Questions

• OA1 has debug questions and reasoning questions. OA2 are data structure and algorithm problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Apply online - coding challenge 1 - coding challenge 2 - onsite interview(3 rounds)
    coding challenge 1 consists of debugging part and coding part, coding challenge 2 is all about simulation the real life of a software engineer at Amazon; Onsite interviews have 3 rounds technical part, breakfast + three rounds(15min behavior question + 30min coding on white board) + tour

Interview Questions

• Online assignments are not difficult, the onsite questions are all about algorithm and data structure, plus some behavior questions to check if you are cultural match with Amazon   1 Answer