Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Absolutely the worst experience I've ever had. I applied through an employee referral, a friend high up in engineering, and waited...months...Two months, technically. Around the second month, I applied to a couple more positions posted online. Still nothing for another couple of weeks. Finally, I got a request to perform an online assessment. I had done these before, so no big deal. I finished. Basic code debugging, and I finished with a few minutes to spare with all cases passing. I took the time to ensure that before hitting submit. Then, the reasoning test. It was similar to those online IQ tests for pattern recognition. I was nervous about this one, but after settling in, I got the hang of it. The next day, there was an automatic rejection email in my box. How is that even remotely possible? I did well on both parts, even the "reasoning" questions. Did no human ever look over anything in this process? I know this is a large company, but it is INCREDIBLY insulting to be treated like this when I went through all the proper avenues. No phone interview, even. When I've applied in the past, I've at least had the courtesy of that much. I am outraged that this is how the company treats qualified applicants.

Interview Questions

• Just look up AMCAT questions. Go nuts. Won't do any good.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process was very quick. Recruiter contacted via email as he had my profile on file from 2 years back when I interviewed with them. Fortunately I was also looking for other opportunities at that point so it worked out. Setup a technical phone screen next week.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers arranged in a way that they are first in a strictly increasing sequence and then after a certain point they are arranged in a strictly decreasing sequence. Find the max value in that array

For ex: [3,6,8,13,20,35,33,30,21,17,14,2,1,-2] : 35 is the max in this array
      4 Answers
    • Design the Goodreads recommendation model. Scenario 1: Show all the recommended books by your friends. Scenario 2: Show all the recommended books in your network (so also add friends of friends). 3: Show the top 10 recommended books in your network.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I finished 2 online assessment with all test cases passed. Then I was refused after a few weeks. Maybe my work simulation is not good or I am not lucky.

Interview Questions

• Working Simulation and 3 coding questions.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

It is an online assessment and it is so called OA1 which contains two part of problems, first part is debugging 7 pieces of problems and second part is logic test. There are some problems need to find the rules of populating a series.

Interview Questions

• Debugging 7 pieces of code   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I started with a phone screen tech interview and was asked to do 3 coding assignment. Reverse LinkedList, merge sorted list of lists into one sorted list. An interviewer was very friendly, but unfortunately, it was my first interview and I missed few points.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2017.

Interview

1. About two weeks after I submitted my application: OA
    2. About one week after I completed the OA: Scheduled a Phone Screen
    3. About two weeks after I scheduled a phone screen: Phone Screen: Asked me about five questions related to tree, and then I did some coding related to tree
    4. About one and a half week after the phone screen: Rejected

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Started with the standard 2 online rounds. Didn't ace the technical questions on the second round but made it to the onsites anyway.

At no point in the process did I actually get to speak with the recruiter. All communication was seemingly through computer-generated emails and your responses seem to go into some digital black hole. My onsite interview was delayed twice after the spot I asked for "filled up" despite answering the email within 5 minutes. When my interview finally scheduled I had to send many urgent emails because I was not contacted in order to schedule flights until 2 days before my interview.

I had the "group" interview in Seattle. The group portion only lasts a few minutes, the rest of the time you're coding on your own. An engineer speaks to you for about 15 minutes at the end. I could hardly understand the engineer I was paired with, he had a very think accent and was very quite so that made communication difficult. Finally, getting my results took OVER A MONTH which is, frankly, unacceptable. I've interviewed at many companies large and small and no one has ever taken anything close to that amount of time.

My interview experience gave the impression that Amazon doesn't really care about you as an individual, you're just a part in their machine. The entire process was shockingly impersonal.

Interview Questions

• I'm assuming this is covered by the NDA   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. The first step was the online test. Two problems during 1 hour. The second step was the phone interview. Some behavioral questions, then coding question.
    After one week, I got an email that I didn't pass it.

Interview Questions

• Implement BST and put the given integer array into BST. Then find the distance between two given nodes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

1st round phone interview, code on a remote pad.
    2nd round on-site interview with 5 people.
    1 round behavior questions, 1 round system design and 3 round of coding questions.
    Coding question was about medium difficulty on leetcode.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Several steps.

First someone calls for 15min "what is up" questions. Then they schedule phone screening. Then they rescheduled for Thursday but called me on Wednesday. However, they got timing correct, I was home and quickly walked to my computer to take test.

That was the online phone tech screening.
    First a few questions about what you did before in your life. I asked if he wants some specifics instead of whole life story and that helped to not waste our time on staff that is irrelevant at this step.

Next was the problem, it was easy problem, described below. I explain exactly the algorithm as it was stupid easy. The only issue I had was that it is in a text editor and day-to-day work you use some IDE that gives you all functions of each object you use. In particular I needed to sort() and I could not remember if the sort function takes call back, lambda or something else in the language I used for the interview. I was recently working with several different languages and each has different syntax for sort. The interviewer did not like that. The I said that I think it takes lambda function with 2 args and returns true/false. He googled and it was not the case for this language. Oh well, I never met a developer who is not using Google nor StackOverflow every day.

Another thing is that the interviewer was going on silent and when I had a question he probably was somewhere else and did not answer several times..

Finally at the end he asked if I have questions. I actually wanted to learn more about Amazon. However, he answered first 2 questions in short sentences and then pretty much let me know he does not want to talk any more.

Summary: I agree that developers should be tested on algorithm implementation. However, if real IDE is not used then it needs to be in a pseudo language because in nowadays it is pointless to remember all syntax sugar of each language, - IDE does it for you, the same way as we do not code in assembly any more.

Interview Questions

• Split string by letters and count how many times each letter appear there.   2 Answers