Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Denver, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via linked in. They passed me off to another recruiter, who then setup a phone interview. The phone interview was much easier than expected considering I've been out of academia for a decade.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were passionate about a direction to take, but your team decided to go another path.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me the coding interview email with the name of the interviewer. At the interview day, the interviewer who interviewed me was not the listed interviewer. This caused confusion. The interviewer was 10min late and with strong accent. Turned out to be the manager of the team. When I asked the recruiter if this is the typical interview process at Amazon. The recruiter replied back: "Due to the fast-paced nature of work at Amazon, there can be last-minute changes with interviewers." This may look ok to Amazon recruiters but could cause confusions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an Online Assessment for the first round, it includes 20 mins for debugging and 35 mins for reasoning question. Debugging session contains 7 simple questions. With the 2nd part, you have to practice in GMAT and GRE math session, and you have to pass 24/24 questions. With me, I think this is an unfair way to choose the candidate for the next round. You have to pass this round before moving on the coding round, so I recommend practicing GRE and GMAT a lot.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

Took online assessment after applying. Took about a month to get a reply. Assessment included simple programming questions in language of choice. Questions were regarding simple programming errors, arrays, and loops.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter and then the phone interview was scheduled.
    Normally the process is similar : One phone interview and 5 to 6 onsite interviews.
    All interviews are technical and related to data structures and system level design.
    Interviewer may ask questions related to past experience.
    All interviews are about 45 mins in length.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received the 30 mininutes x 2 test link. I was allowed to take the test within 2 weeks. First test was all basic java/c syntax and the data structure and fixing the errors. Second one was more like IQ/EQ test such that you read the long sentences and figure out the answer out of it. It was more like reading test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Code test online followed in-person 4-hour session. Recruiter gave me only a week timeframe before flying up to interview, and was sat in a room with lots of whiteboards. Interviewers gave no indication of the culture of the company, looked tired and unhappy, and had really no idea what I would be working on. Lots of white board coding sessions with no feedback. No interview feedback after the interview. Happy to not receive an offer.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

The process has three rounds. In the first round I picked Java and was given 7 basic debugging questions and there was also a logical reasoning section that followed. The second round had two coding questions, one was a linked list question and the other was to rotate a 2-D matrix.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Technical Phone Interview with an Amazon live coding tool with a Software Engineer on the team I would be joining. Interviewing for position in the Seattle Office. Applied online through their website, and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later.

Interview Questions

• Basic Java Concepts, describing data structures, given a problem describe the best data structure to solve the problem, and comparing data structures.
      Algorithm Question: Create a function to divide without using the division operator.
      1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Received an online assessment to do 7 questions on code debug, followed by ~30 minutes to do a reasoning quiz. Shortly after, I was sent another online assessment to do 2 coding questions. Finally, I had a phone interview which was almost entirely technical. Overall the process took ~1 month from start to end.

Interview Questions

• I didn't sign an NDA, but I would rather not disclose this information. As long as you know your Data Structures and Algorithms, you should have a good chance.   1 Answer