Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

First coding assessment was debugging very simple with an IQ like test st the end each were about 30 minutes

Second assessment was 2 coding challenges study data structures and algorithms 70 minutes for both

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

2 round OA and 1 round phone interview. First OA is 3 weeks after application, the second OA is 1 weeks after first OA. One week after OA2, there is a phone interview schedule survey. Then one week again got the confirmation.

Interview Questions

• 1. a pow of b 2. reverse linkedlist from m to n   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Got contacted to take a online assignment. Had 7 one-line program debugging, and then 24 multiple choice puzzles. it was not too difficult and I had plenty of time. However, I have not been contacted in about a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a phone interview, one hour long. Position was basically for network engineers. I got the interview within 30days after I applied. The interviewer was nice. He went through my resume and asked couples of questions and then asked some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between HTTP 1.0 and 1.1?   1 Answer
    • What tools you use to troubleshoot network?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn. Was given a coding challenge at HackerRank, which was moderate, but practical.
    Eventually was invited to on-site interview in Seattle, where I had all day long interview.
    I was under strong impression everything went well. Just one thing was suspicious - all interviewers were young, and when I asked about average team age - they mentioned a number below 30. Taking into account they work 10+ hours a day, they definitely don't want to consider family guys of age around 40. That's my best guess. Worth to mention I was watching for people coming in and out and they were pretty young too, that is also why my guess can be right. Obviously I did not feel as I'm a good fit for them because of that.
    Having previous successful interview experiences with other companies like Microsoft, I can imagine these guys are looking for young slaves. Given that they don't pay above the market, I see no reasons to go there unless you don't want to loose your family or you are a single work-addicted person.
    To contrast - Microsoft and Facebook interviews were fair, practical and they are giving some details on where you failed (if you failed). These guys would never tell you the truth.
    The office building.. was simply dirty. Maybe I used to work with in much cleaner spaces in Europe, but other offices in the US are much nicer.
    What was good about this experience? - they paid for the trip to Seattle. Appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• NDA.. but I can say this: the books like Cracking Coding Interviews are useless there, but solving problems with HackerRank would make some sense.
      The coding challenges were not difficult at all. Basic data structures and clean coding on the board is all you need to master.
      And you definitely cannot prepare to all those behavioral questions as well as design and estimate questions.
      Be genuine.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Denver, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via linked in. They passed me off to another recruiter, who then setup a phone interview. The phone interview was much easier than expected considering I've been out of academia for a decade.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were passionate about a direction to take, but your team decided to go another path.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me the coding interview email with the name of the interviewer. At the interview day, the interviewer who interviewed me was not the listed interviewer. This caused confusion. The interviewer was 10min late and with strong accent. Turned out to be the manager of the team. When I asked the recruiter if this is the typical interview process at Amazon. The recruiter replied back: "Due to the fast-paced nature of work at Amazon, there can be last-minute changes with interviewers." This may look ok to Amazon recruiters but could cause confusions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an Online Assessment for the first round, it includes 20 mins for debugging and 35 mins for reasoning question. Debugging session contains 7 simple questions. With the 2nd part, you have to practice in GMAT and GRE math session, and you have to pass 24/24 questions. With me, I think this is an unfair way to choose the candidate for the next round. You have to pass this round before moving on the coding round, so I recommend practicing GRE and GMAT a lot.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

Took online assessment after applying. Took about a month to get a reply. Assessment included simple programming questions in language of choice. Questions were regarding simple programming errors, arrays, and loops.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter and then the phone interview was scheduled.
    Normally the process is similar : One phone interview and 5 to 6 onsite interviews.
    All interviews are technical and related to data structures and system level design.
    Interviewer may ask questions related to past experience.
    All interviews are about 45 mins in length.