Amazon User Experience Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon User Experience Design Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.4

User Experience Designer Interview

Interview

During the final on-site interview, I was asked to do a whiteboard challenge. It was during one of the 1:1 interview. The prompt was given at the very beginning of the process and I was asked to do show my design process.

Interview Questions

• Design a tool that helps people get ingredients for their meals.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in March 2020.

Interview

It was a very smooth experience. I cleared my phone screening and got to the portfolio review. In the phone screening the person was very nice and patient. She listened to me very carefully and ask all relevant questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked about scenarios and how I handled them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Bothell, WA) in February 2020.

Interview

I was contacted for an initial phone interview with the hiring manager and then I would have gone to another phone interview and on-site. I thought the phone call went great, however I learned I did not pass the first interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that means a lot to you   Answer Question
    • You said you are an empathetic person, tell me about a time you were able to directly map that to providing a great experience for a customer   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

3 rounds altogether. First phone interview is all about leadership principles. Second, your design process that you walk through. Third (on-site)- 3 projects presentation, followed by many other interviews on leadership principles and technical questions. Also a whiteboard challenge.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't have enough data to make the right decision.

Tell me about a time when you had to get a project or initiative completed with limited resources.

Tell me about a time when you exceeded the expectations of a goal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2019.

Interview

I got an interview through an employee referral. They were very quick about getting back to me and scheduling the first phone screen, which was with the hiring manager. The recruiter called me the day before and very thoroughly explained the process to me and allowed me to ask any questions, which was appreciated. She also sent along some articles and the Leadership Principles to review.

The interview with the hiring manager was intense, but overall went well. I was asked about 9 behavioral questions related to the leadership principles, and 3 simple questions related to technical skills. The phone interview took up the entire 60 minutes, and at the end the hiring manager gave me feedback that I did well (which was unexpected - it was odd to receive feedback on how I did right away).

About 2 days later, the recruiter sent a very nice email saying unfortunately they will not be moving me forward -- I assume it had something to do with fit, or maybe there was a more promising candidate, since the hiring manager apparently thought I did ok during the first loop. I would definitely want the hiring team to be excited about hiring me, so I thought this was really fair, and the interview experience up until this point was perfect.

Then, the recruiter then found another team who would like to interview me instead, and they mentioned that that team would pick up where the first team left off. After the recruiter from Design handed off my candidacy to the other team, the 2nd recruiter asked me to send him some times for him to call me and provide more information on the other role. I replied with some availability, and the 2nd recruiter never emailed me back. I'm not sure if he just completely missed my email, or if they decided to move forward with other candidates - who knows? This was my first experience of being ghosted between interview rounds.

From my experience, it seems that Amazon has a really good process in place and the recruiters try to help you along the way, but perhaps they have such a high volume of applicants that some things fall through the cracks. I probably would have emailed again to follow up had I been interested in continuing with Amazon, but I only really wanted to work for the team that I specifically applied to. But the fact that they allow you to continue the interview process for different teams without having to start all over again is definitely a huge pro.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to compromise on the quality of your work.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Amazon in May 2019.

Interview

I was told that there would be 3 rounds. 1- phone screen about behavior questions with the manager; 2- talking about your portfolio with another designer in the team; 3- on-site interview.

I was excited when I got the email invitation for the interview with Amazon. For me, the position was a perfect match of what I'm passionate about based on the job description. Therefore, I did my best to prepare for it even for the brief chat with the recruiter. To prepare the best questions for the brief chat with the recruiter, I researched online, read every other people's stories about their interview with Amazon. In the phone chat, I asked if I would do a design challenge or portfolio presentation if I would use any tools to do a video chat or screen share. And I was told the 1st round would be a pure phone screen about behavior questions with a manager, I would be asked questions like: tell me about a time when you missed a deadline. The manager would also talk about more details of the position and the team.

Then I started to prepare for the 1st phone screen. I collected every single behavior question that I could find in other people's amazon interview story and other typical behavior questions for UX designer interview. I prepared two answers related to my work and project experience for each behavior question and combined them with Amazon 14 leadership. The final document was 16-pages long. I spend a week preparing for it to leave a good impression and make it with 100 percent for the 1st round.

However, what I was actually asked to do in the 1st round was a screen share, walking through my portfolio without any behavior question. I had no idea what tool I was supposed to use to do the screen share. The manager told me to use a tool that I had never heard about, and I had to ask the manager to spell it for me. Then I spend some time downloading the tool. I did not prepare for anything about my portfolio. It's not surprising that I failed in the 1st round.

My suggestion for you is preparing for everything, not just what they told you.

Interview Questions

• walk me through your portfolio   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Interview

A few phone calls, no on site, took awhile for them to get back to me. The whole process took about 2-3 month. It also included a design challenge where you share your screen.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a charging station in a mall?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone screen, a cal with a product team, then a full day onsite. Onsite began with a portfolio presentation, then back to back 5 1-1s. Each interviewer tested for 2 Amazon leadership principles

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

Two 45 minute interview conference calls with a design manager. Both started with a brief intro, then moved on to a portfolio presentation where I talk about my design process, past projects (talked through 2 projects end to end). My interviewer would ask questions at the end of each project walk through. The last 5-10 minutes were behavioral interview questions.

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in November 2017.

Interview

Getting the phone interview scheduled was horrible. They left me hanging for few weeks, scheduling the interview for the next day with no notice. Interviewer totally sounded unprepared. Worst interview process in my experience.

Interview Questions

• Portfolio review. And one question at the end I can't even rephrase. It didn't make any sense to me. Something about choosing between two designs when you don't have any info about the user, no access to data.   1 Answer