Amazon User Experience Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2018

3.5

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter after applied online for 3 weeks. I had a great time talking to the recruiter. A week later, I had two back-to-back interviews with a senior designer and a product manager. They both were looking for some types of skills in mind. I wish they could just made it clear in the job description so I knew what topics to emphasize on.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your design process.   Answer Question
  • What would you do if you know you are going to miss a deadline?   Answer Question
  • Describe a challenge you have encountered and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

There was one 30 minutes phone interview, and two 45 minutes back to back on site interviews. The interviewers are designers from different team. Most of the questions are behavioral questions that are pretty easy to answer, they ask you to relate your personal experience. For the two design questions, they basically just see how you think, and doesn't necessarily have to provide a design solution.

Interview Questions

• Design a airport experience. Redesign the amazon.con home page.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Two rounds, first round is phone interview, second round is onsite interview with two sections. Each section is 30 minutes long with current designers. They were all very nice to you and very helpful!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two rounds of phone interviews. The first was with a team member, approximately 30 minutes long. The second was with the team lead and included screen sharing to brainstorm through a design exercise.

Interview Questions

• The design exercise was related to designing an ATM for children to use.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2016.

Interview

I went to a college career fair, talked with a recruiter, and got scheduled for an interview the next day. I spoke with a senior design manager and a senior UX designer. They focused on the design process a lot. Unlike other interviews that I had where I got asked mostly on the UI design judgements, they asked a lot of questions on usability testing and user research. Moreover, they asked many questions about teamwork and leadership, which I later learned that it's what Amazon is all about... going over their leadership principles before an interview might help. Overall, it was a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you defend your design judgement when your teammate(s) disagreed with you?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2015.

Interview

Found through campus recruiting as well as online application. Took about a week to have any recruiter contact me, and we set up interviews for the following week. I made it through two rounds of phone interviews. First was behavioral questions about teamwork and corporate culture etc, and second was more specifically about portfolio review, and solving design problems. Didn't hear back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. I really enjoyed talking to the recruiter and the team members. I was asked to talk about my experiences, one of my project and do a design challenge over the phone using a whiteboard tool. Everybody was professional and interesting to talk to. I had a counter-offer, and that's the only reason I had to decline.

Interview Questions

Mainly because I had a counter offer.

Application

Interview

Interview was conducted via phone (on their conference call platform). I was asked to walk through the projects in my portfolio and the interviewer asked questions along the way. I then answered a few behavioral questions about how I would handle certain scenarios on the job.

The interviewer was polite and the tone conversational. It was a little awkward being over the phone as there were some times where we were talking over each other unintentionally, but that is the nature of phone interviews. Overall my experience with the interviewer was positive.

However, the scheduling of the interview was more stressful than it needed to be. Recruiter was not very responsive and left me hanging on a number of occasions. Prepare yourself for last minute notification on interview times and/or no notification of cancellations.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where you would not be able to meet a deadline?   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

My interviews consisted of one phone screen with a recruiter, one phone interview with a hiring manager of the specific team, then an in-house interview with 7 people, only 3 of whom were on the actual team I was hiring for. The interview lasted 6 hours, with a portfolio presentation that lasted one hour, and a whiteboard exercise that lasted 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Out of the Amazon Leadership Principles, which principle do you feel like is your greatest strength?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus career fair, overall interview process was straight forward and average difficulty. There are two round phone interviews, both rounds went through portfolio and resume. And then they asked me some follow up questions based on previous project. All questions based on projects, one interviewer asked me to do a design challange

Interview Questions

• All questions based on projects, one interviewer asked me to do a design challange   1 Answer