Amazon User Experience Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon User Experience Designer Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview was conducted via phone (on their conference call platform). I was asked to walk through the projects in my portfolio and the interviewer asked questions along the way. I then answered a few behavioral questions about how I would handle certain scenarios on the job.

The interviewer was polite and the tone conversational. It was a little awkward being over the phone as there were some times where we were talking over each other unintentionally, but that is the nature of phone interviews. Overall my experience with the interviewer was positive.

However, the scheduling of the interview was more stressful than it needed to be. Recruiter was not very responsive and left me hanging on a number of occasions. Prepare yourself for last minute notification on interview times and/or no notification of cancellations.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where you would not be able to meet a deadline?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Amazon is growing so quickly that many managers and even practitioners have started announcing on LinkedIn that they're looking for people, and some of them will reach out to you if you simply view their profile. That's how my conversation started. The initial call was awesome and professionally done, and thereafter I was handed off to a recruiter for the more formal/HR aspect of things. Also incredibly professional. Email communication was clear and concise, responses were quick and accurate, and every scheduled phone call happened on-time.

The onsite interview was setup painlessly, and that consists of the storied "loop" where the day begins with a 60-minute portfolio presentation. Your recruiter will give you a thorough run-down of how to handle this and what to show, but expect to get into your thought process and demonstrate customer obsession. Hopefully you've saved your sketches! That's going to be much more interesting to the panel than your finished products. You'll be peppered with some tough questions, just answer candidly and acknowledge when you don't know. You will be speaking to people tapping away at laptops, which can be disconcerting, but I appreciated the rigor and challenge. Afterward, you'll talk to 5-7 people in various roles 1:1. Each person will ask open-ended behavioral questions based on the leadership principles, and will usually probe further with follow-up questions. Know the leadership principles and directly link your responses to actual experiences YOU have had. Avoid "we" and "us" responses unless absolutely necessary. Again, you'll be speaking to people behind laptops, and yes, they are documenting everything you say--which is a good thing, because it ensures that everyone involved in the loop gets a big-picture view of who you are and how you think. Some will be more conversational, others just want a detailed response, but either way, be open and detailed.

There's most likely a whiteboarding exercise, too. React to it with a lot of ideas, and be more innovative than purely functional. Again, they're looking to see how expansive your thinking is.

In my experience, the level of confidence, security, and professionalism of everyone I interacted with was unparalleled. They take a genuine interest in you and most of the conversations are enjoyable despite the level of challenge involved. Most of the bigger tech companies follow an interview process similar to Amazon's (and if they were influenced by it, that wouldn't be surprising), and while it's difficult--I walked out almost in a daze--the discipline and rigorous nature is worth it. I talked to a couple of smaller companies afterward and almost laughed at how poorly prepared and sloppy they were compared to Amazon.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an instance where you received negative feedback and how you reacted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Referred for a specific position. Phone screener. Initial interview with UX Manager (1hour phone). Then two rounds with senior UX Designers (1 hour each over the phone). Overall experience was positive. Make sure to relate your experience and why you want to work for Amazon to their leadership principles.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. I really enjoyed talking to the recruiter and the team members. I was asked to talk about my experiences, one of my project and do a design challenge over the phone using a whiteboard tool. Everybody was professional and interesting to talk to. I had a counter-offer, and that's the only reason I had to decline.

Interview Questions

Mainly because I had a counter offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two one hour phone interviews, one portfolio review, a 'hiring party' and a final half day hiring event. The phone screens were fine but were very long. The hiring party was the worst thing I've ever experienced. The manager and team invited ALL of the candidates, around 15 people, to a happy hour where the team proceeded to get drunk and make rude jokes about the candidates. The hiring manager paired me and another candidate applying for the same position against each other for lawn games and said things like "whoever gets the most points gets the job". Seriously inappropriate behavior. The other candidates seemed just as uncomfortable as I was (none of us touched the alcohol). After 4 hours of this we were all invited to the onsight the following day. This was a full 4 hour hiring event where your put in a room and 4 people rotate through the rooms. The questions were hard and were based way less on my actual ability to do the job and more on what amazon considers its guiding leadership principles. We were all sent home after this and a week later HR reached out and said that none of us were qualified for the position and they were pursuing more candidates. After interviewing 15 people for a junior-mid level position this seemed ridiculous to me. All in all not a position or a team I would want to be a part of either way.

Interview Questions

• All questions are based on their guiding principles. You have to sign a non disclosure saying you wont repeat these questions to even get in the building.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

After applying on their job board I received an email from a recruiter letting me know that a hiring manager had looked over my resume and would like me to speak to a member of their team. The phone call was scheduled for a week and a half later with a design manager from a different team who was unfamiliar with the role I had applied for. Seemed to be more of a general Amazon screen within the design practice. The call lasted for one hour. It seemed to go well and I am waiting for a response from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work at Amazon?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2016.

Interview

I went to a college career fair, talked with a recruiter, and got scheduled for an interview the next day. I spoke with a senior design manager and a senior UX designer. They focused on the design process a lot. Unlike other interviews that I had where I got asked mostly on the UI design judgements, they asked a lot of questions on usability testing and user research. Moreover, they asked many questions about teamwork and leadership, which I later learned that it's what Amazon is all about... going over their leadership principles before an interview might help. Overall, it was a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you defend your design judgement when your teammate(s) disagreed with you?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

There was one 30 minutes phone interview, and two 45 minutes back to back on site interviews. The interviewers are designers from different team. Most of the questions are behavioral questions that are pretty easy to answer, they ask you to relate your personal experience. For the two design questions, they basically just see how you think, and doesn't necessarily have to provide a design solution.

Interview Questions

• Design a airport experience. Redesign the amazon.con home page.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2015.

Interview

Found through campus recruiting as well as online application. Took about a week to have any recruiter contact me, and we set up interviews for the following week. I made it through two rounds of phone interviews. First was behavioral questions about teamwork and corporate culture etc, and second was more specifically about portfolio review, and solving design problems. Didn't hear back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter after applied online for 3 weeks. I had a great time talking to the recruiter. A week later, I had two back-to-back interviews with a senior designer and a product manager. They both were looking for some types of skills in mind. I wish they could just made it clear in the job description so I knew what topics to emphasize on.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your design process.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you know you are going to miss a deadline?   Answer Question
    • Describe a challenge you have encountered and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question