Amazon Vendor Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

3.7

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward. A HR phone screening, a call with a hiring manager, a call with someone who may work indirectly with you, and then an in person interview. The in person interview was challenging as it was all day and all situational questions. They only use the STAR method and base their decisions on how you answer their questions. There is no chance really to describe your day to day work, your accomplishments, or to really let your personality shine. Somewhat robotic interview, which was daunting.

The biggest challenge is once rejected you get ZERO feedback and cannot apply for other jobs for 6 months. They sell you on three options; "you're a fit for the company," "you're a fit for the company and the role," "you're not a fit at all, good luck." It's unfortunate especially when a company this size is trying to hire every Tom, Rick, or Harry that walks in the door aka 100k people before the end of 2017.

Interview Questions

• What additional services would you add to our Prime services?   Answer Question
  • What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you solved a problem but your manager disagreed with the approach?   Answer Question
  • How do you manage conflict?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you used data to increase profitability?   Answer Question
  • Standard case study questions: You are buying 'xyz' product at 'abc' discount, the quantity is 'qrx', at 'mono' price, would you buy this product?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Vendor Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through employee referral and within 2 weeks contacted for a first phone screen with the hiring manager. The HM was very professional and nice to talk to. She discussed the role in detail, the work culture, expectations etc. Questions asked were two behavioral based questions on past experience and one case.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time when you solved a complex problem using data

2) Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a team member - or had a back and forth and it didn't go down very well. How did you handle it?

3) Case: X has a cost price of $4.50. And we sell it at $4 so we are essentially making a loss of $.50 per sale - how would you go back to the vendor and negotiate to reduce this loss?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

It should be pretty clear to everyone that you need to prep stories to behavioral interview questions stemming from the Leadership Principles. I prepped 8 stories and made sure I knew EVERYTHING about them. In one instance, an interviewer was checking my math in real-time as I was talking about the results. Expect them to push you. It is hard and intimidating but it isn't because they doubt your results they just want to see how much you know. In general the Amazon interview is definitely the most difficult interview process I've every participated in so know that and come prepared to kill it. I studied my stories, interview math, and case-based questions for at least 100-hours prior to my in-person loop. That is how much time I spent, you are very different so prep until YOU feel comfortable. The in-person interview was actually easier than I expected because I had prepared SO much but it was still incredibly difficult. I'd highly recommend any of the Lewis Lin case-based interview books, they were very helpful (I wasn't paid to say that, I was just introduced to him during my MBA program and his books helped a lot).

One last comment is around the actual job offer. I wasn't selected for the job I initially applied for, my guess was because I wasn't at the level of the job; however, my interviewers still felt I was a good fit for Amazon. The recruiter emailed me the day I was told I didn't get the job and asked if I'd be interested in a different position on the same team. None of my Amazon contacts had ever heard of this occurring before which is why I wanted to write about it. It is possible to not get the job but still be a good fit for Amazon. Following the contact from the recruiter I "re-looped" with the new hiring manager for one-hour and was then offered the new position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

two rounds of phone interviews (one with hiring manager and one with peer) followed by a whole-day interview on site. NDA signed so I am not talking about the detailed questions. The interview process was well organized- recruiters checked in three times- before kicking off the whole process, before and during on site interviews. Though there were some last min changes on my interviewers, but I was informed ahead.

Interview Questions

• None-disclosure signed ahead- it is necessary to know the daily job of positions well   Answer Question

Vendor Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Made it to the second phone interview round, but not the onsite. Both phone interviews consisted of a few fit/background questions followed by a few "case study" type questions.Both phone interviews consisted of a few fit/background questions followed by a few "behavioral" (case study type) questions. In hindsight, by big mistake was not taking the time to ask follow-on questions to the "behavioral" questions.

Interview Questions

• I don't want to spill their beans... but make sure you fully think out your response before speaking, and don't be afraid to ask additional questions for these.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had 3 phone screens and then a all day interview on-site. Truthfully, the overall experience was a positive but parts of it could've been better. I met some very bright, articulate, and analytical people on the on-site interview which would've been nice to be teammates with. I also met some who gave off the impression that they did not want to be in the interview process. Overall, I think I did okay but I recognize I could've done better as it was my first interview in 7-8 years. One thing I will say is that it's a very tough interview so prepare yourself mentally for a long day and make sure you articulate yourself well backed up by facts and processes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted about open positions. The interviewer was very friendly and wanted to know generally what I was looking for. I am hoping to get further in the process once we find a role that fits. This was only a first interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The phone screen was pretty basic, then the second round phone interview was next..the interviewer was very nice but dug deep into my resume trying to challenge me.. Received an email two days later inviting me to an On-Site. They paid for travel and hotel be safe to plan accordingly. I interviewed on a Monday, flew in Sunday caught a Seahawks game by myself (made a vacation out of it) and prep. The on-site you will have 5-6 interviews 45 min a piece and lunch for about 1hr. The lunch interview was very chill. Be prepared to have several examples and use the STAR process.. They really embrace the core values its like drinking from a firehose. I received an offer but decline. I did a lot of research on the negative and when I got mid way through the interview I realized that they will work the hell out of you seriously.. I had a prior I-Banking background and didn't want to work that type of schedule again. But you're treated like a business owner and from what I gather you will work a ton. If your younger and full or energy go for it.. The avg tenure is 18-24 months and the people that I interviewed with none was there longer than 4 years.. The people were nice, I explore seattle on their dime.. My advice is be detailed, use the STAR method and read the negative reviews because those are accurate sad to say.. You will learn a lot about yourself in the process.Once you have done that decide for yourself if it's for you.

Interview Questions

• You will sign a non disclosure agreement but the questions are very generally   Answer Question

I would have to live, breathe and eat Amazon... Work/life balance.. Got an offer elsewhere

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I had one phone screen where the questions were straight forward concerning your professional background. I also had a second phone interview. It lasted about 1 hour. Must be able to walk the interviewer through your resume but without reading it (they have already read it!) Prepare something unique or insightful about "your story" from your resume. The third part would have been an in-person all day interview in Seattle. Unfortunately, I did not go because of a conflict with my master's program which I had to finish first :(

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked several questions that would set you up to use one of the leadership principles. For example, if Puma now required a higher MAD for the same product, what would you do as the vendor manager?   2 Answers

Vendor Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Multiple Interviews - usually 4-5 depending on the level. Usually interviews take place the same day, sometimes they will video conference. Also you typically meet with a variety of managers. A couple will be within your division or people you'll work closely with; however, there will be a wild card or two. The wild cards are usually the most difficult.

Interview Questions

• Advanced math problems, situational examples. Hiring manager taking you to lunch and to then describe how you'd improve the operational efficiency of the restaurant.   Answer Question