AmeriCorps AmeriCorps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps AmeriCorps Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

2.5

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I applied online and was then called in for an in-person interview about two weeks after applying. I met in an office with a three person board and was asked to present real life examples of various situations. Upon accepting their employment offer, I was asked to complete various online trainings and surveys before being fully hired on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you were in a difficult situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AmeriCorps

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

well I got in AmeriCorps by applying online at Americorps.com and after that I finished with the application they emailed me. then they do a background check on you just to make sure you not a bad person and dont have any drug use. the background check goes back like 10 years on your life just be honest because if you dont they will find out and kick you out.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

You have to create an application online. Once you have finished the application then you can use their portal to start applying to different positions. They will contact you via email with an initial contact email to tell you they received your application and then to see if you would like to set up an interview. The interview will be over the phone with a program manager or someone who works at the site you applied for. There may be multiple phone and in person interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Detroit, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview itself was quick and simple. They wanted to know what area I was interested in working in and the experience I could bring to the table. Two supervisors interviewed me. Staff who were in the office were very friendly and courteous.

Interview Questions

• "Can you work with populations/in areas that might make you uncomfortable?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, it is a fixed stipend.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

I had an initial interview with my host site. Nothing too intimidating. Just the usual questions. They are trying to get a feel for your experience, passion for the cause and location, and whether or not you are a good fit for the program. My second interview was with my sponsoring organization (not all sites have this). It was the exact same as the first interview, but with a different person.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in your first 90 days of service if offered the position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

1.5 hour phone interview. I spoke with two individuals in City Year. I was asked about my experience working with children; my ways of self care; any questions about City Year; my long-term professional plans.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge that you faced in individual, small group and large group settings, and how you overcame the challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Richmond, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Meaningful and authentic; I interviewed with two Regional Supervisors and they were good at learning about my interests in AmeriCorps, teaching, education and how my skills and abilities would be of use for this service.

Interview Questions

• What are your interests in serving AmeriCorps?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Replied to job opening via email. Was asked to come in for an interview. The interview consisted of questions about my background (I was college student at the time), why I was interested in the HIV field and how I felt I would work within a six-member team as an individual as well as collectively in order to complete the objective of a long-term project. I was told by the supervisor that he liked me and my answers and would hear back shortly. I was then welcomed to the team within a week. After being selected, I met with the other five teammates a few days before flying to pre-service (on-boarding/orientation) in Santa Fe, NM.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work in the HIV field?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It is a federally-funded program with a set living stipend for each member.

Anonymous Employee in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Athens, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

I was asked to do a "mock" teaching lesson and I was also asked a lot about my strengths and weaknesses. Basic interview questions that you would read off of a website preparing you for an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Asheville, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Informal interview where we discussed my answers to several pre-distributed thought provoking questions. It was essentially to ensure that my heart was in the right place and that I was a good team player. They also asked for my preference in site placement and described a bit about each of the sites.