AmeriCorps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I received a call from the agency I applied to a few days after applying on the AmeriCorps website. We set up a phone interview for the next day which consisted of three employees who were prior volunteers. They asked 10 difficult questions and at the end set up a Skype interview for the next day (I currently live in another state). The Skype interview was with two employees (from the phone interview) and a current AmeriCorps volunteer. I thought this time it would just be to put a face to my voice, but they went around and asked several more questions. It went very well and at the end they offered me the position. My advice would be to research the agency and be prepared to give examples of what experiences you had that prepared you for the position. I didn't expect such an extensive interview for a volunteer position, and if I wasn't prepared I don't think I would have gotten it.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about AmeriCorps? What do you know about our agency? Tell me about your experience? How would you work with clients that speak another language? What diverse populations have you worked with? How would you handle a client who is upset? What are you looking to gain from this experience? Do you understand why the stipend is low?   Answer Question

Americorps VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Meadville, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Meadville, PA).

Interview

The multi-stage process to apply for AmeriCorps is both energizing and patience-testing. I interviewed with the local project Leaders and Coordinators first, and then, once that stage was passed, my application was forwarded to sites I was interested in, as well as a few they thought my skills may be good for. I had interviews requested for all of the positions I was interested in, and one even requested a preliminary phone interview. This same one requested additional references that they actually contacted. I also had a second meeting with the Leader and Coordinator, which directly addressed any problem areas that may have come up in the initial background.

Interview Questions

• These are the issues that came up when we contacted your references. How do you feel about these and what do you plan to do to address these problem areas in the future?   Answer Question

Mentor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morrow, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Morrow, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

interviewed by students initially, second interview by supervisor. If you could be any animal what would it be and why? why do you want this position? Things of that nature and a few more questions

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal what would it be and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

idk

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Vicksburg, MS) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied after I was accepted as a team member. You might get an email saying they want you to apply as a Leader based on your application. Interview was about 3 weeks later via phone. They asked basic info about Americorps and the structure of the program. They asked for experiences in leadership, how I handle stress, and the most important volunteer work I've done. Then for an instance of a similar experience to Americorps (if I've lived with the same people I work with).

From there it got really complicated, and they asked scenario questions that didn't make much sense to me, and I honestly wasn't prepared for them. I answered poorly in my opinion. Lastly, you get the option to ask questions and say your final words.

Interview Questions

• You and your team are traveling 16 hours to West Virginia to work on trail construction. How do you handle the length of travel and what safety tips would you give your team?   1 Answer
    • Vital tools needed to complete a project have failed to show up, without any explanation. What would you do?   1 Answer
    • Your team has been given tickets to Jazz Fest in New Orleans as a gift from a support organization. What do you remind your team of?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Richmond, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Meaningful and authentic; I interviewed with two Regional Supervisors and they were good at learning about my interests in AmeriCorps, teaching, education and how my skills and abilities would be of use for this service.

Interview Questions

• What are your interests in serving AmeriCorps?   1 Answer

Classroom Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (San Mateo, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Fairly long because of the AmeriCorps website. Had three interview, initial interview, site interviews, and final interview. This took about two months. After this I considered many positions. The AmeriCorps portal made it easy to apply to many positions, so even though it was a long process on the website, it let you cast a wide net.

Interview Questions

• Why are you considering AmeriCorps?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation in this company.

Family Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Sacramento, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

There usually will be a panel of two or more, you apply online for job offers, they call you in for the interview, if you meet qualifications they higher you. It is a nonprofit organization that seeks the well being of the community. There is AmeriCorps State and National, AmeriCorps Vista and AmeriCorps NCCC.

Interview Questions

• How have you contributed to the community?
      Have you volunteered in the past?
      Do you have a college degree?
      How skilled are you in using social media?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Detroit, MI).

Interview

There are 3 interviews each of which make sure you are okay living below the poverty line to do the position. They also ask about your endurance, how do you know you won't get burnt out easily etc.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 40 hours a week for less than minimum wage?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I applied for Pittsburgh Health Corps and Compass AmeriCorps, both groups based in Pittsburgh, PA. I went to a totally of eight interviews - one with the director of health corps, one with Compass, and six on-site interviews.

There are two problems with AmeriCorps. The first problem is they strongly prefer hiring college graduates with little to no experience. By the time I graduated I already have done three internships and one research fellowship. I wanted to join AmeriCorps to help my community, but I was rejected by all six on-site interviews because I was apparently "overqualified" to them. Meanwhile, two of my friends with little work experience out of college got accepted into AmeriCorps so easily. The second problem is most AmeriCorps positions require or recommend that you have reliable transportation. I can't imagine living on less-than-minimum wages while having a car (maintain it, pay for gas, pay for car insurance). Not to mention you are already struggling to pay for rent, phone bills, and buy groceries. If you want to join AmeriCorps and don't want to struggle with finances, you must fit in the "perfect" category of a college graduate that has little or no job experience, has a car and somehow able to keep it, and lives with his/her parents or five roommates.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why do you want to join AmeriCorps?
      2) How do you motivate yourself at work while living on a small stipend?
      3) What do you want to do after the AmeriCorps term is over (full-time job or graduate school?)
      4) Why are you interested in helping your community and addressing social issues?
      5) Are you willing to work with low-income, poor, and minority families?
      Answer Question

Community Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Sumter, SC) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview consist of the whole staff asking questions about qualifications of the job and what I could bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• How could I handle particpants that were my peers?   1 Answer