AmeriCorps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2017

2.4

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AmeriCorps in July 2016.

Interview

Within hours of my online application I was contacted by a member of the non-profit to set up a phone interview for the following morning. It began with a basic overview of position and description of the company's work. The interviewer proceeded to ask me basic interview questions relating my previous experience to this job role. They ask if I feel comfortable doing certain things (public speaking, organizing events, working with immigrant populations, etc) and if I feel comfortable living on such a small stipend in such an expensive area. Part of the interview was also conducted in Spanish, as the job requires conversational speaking abilities. This was the most nerve-wracking portion, but the interviewer was patient and understanding (my spanish was a little rusty). It ended with her asking me if I had any questions for her and I think this was a place to shine. I was able to ask what the workplace culture is, what the most rewarding experience has been for her, and that really got her talking. The interview lasted for one hour.

Interview Questions

• How do you work under pressure/tight deadlines?   1 Answer

Literary Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Waldorf, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

The application process included an online application, phone interview and Skype interview. The phone interview takes about 15 minutes, you are asked about details on your resume. You are also required to have two references that Americorps will send emails to for a questionaire. After this there is a skype or face to face interview. Questions are asked in many categories, including whether you understand the job description, whether you can live on the stipend and what can you uniquely bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep things interesting if you find the position getting repetitive?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I submitted my application online. There's a lot of back-and-forth emailing. The recruiters are very active and helpful. Then they set up a time for a phone call - and that was it! A 30-minute phone call. It seems like the earlier you submit, the more likely you are to get your #1 location.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions… "Describe a situation where you overcame issues with a member of the team and how you did that." They also want to make sure you're persistent but realistic - and not just thinking that you're going to change every kid's life that easily. It seemed like most of their questions were geared towards, "so what are you going to do when a kid isn't cooperating?"   Answer Question

Americorps VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Meadville, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Meadville, PA).

Interview

The multi-stage process to apply for AmeriCorps is both energizing and patience-testing. I interviewed with the local project Leaders and Coordinators first, and then, once that stage was passed, my application was forwarded to sites I was interested in, as well as a few they thought my skills may be good for. I had interviews requested for all of the positions I was interested in, and one even requested a preliminary phone interview. This same one requested additional references that they actually contacted. I also had a second meeting with the Leader and Coordinator, which directly addressed any problem areas that may have come up in the initial background.

Interview Questions

• These are the issues that came up when we contacted your references. How do you feel about these and what do you plan to do to address these problem areas in the future?   Answer Question

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first interview was a short 15-minute interview to get to know me. The second-round interview was another short interview, about 20 minutes long. They both asked common questions that focused more on my past experience but weren't behavorial interview questions. I was offered the position, but unfortunately had to decline.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this program?
      What skills do you have that relate to this position?   Answer Question

Americorps VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Fill out an online application then do an over the phone interview. Phone interview was easy and fast. Easiest job I ever applied to. Asked in depth questions about passions and drive. Management was easy to talk to.

VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Baltimore, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

Long. Four phone interviews. Got offered one position. They are friendly, though. And, the questions aren't difficult. They want to make sure you fully understand what you're applying for and will pass your application along to other recruiters to help you get a position.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had to exhibit leadership and what did you learn? What does teamwork mean to you? You will be living on a wage that reflects the living conditions of the community you'll be working in, will this be a problem for you?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Vicksburg, MS) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied after I was accepted as a team member. You might get an email saying they want you to apply as a Leader based on your application. Interview was about 3 weeks later via phone. They asked basic info about Americorps and the structure of the program. They asked for experiences in leadership, how I handle stress, and the most important volunteer work I've done. Then for an instance of a similar experience to Americorps (if I've lived with the same people I work with).

From there it got really complicated, and they asked scenario questions that didn't make much sense to me, and I honestly wasn't prepared for them. I answered poorly in my opinion. Lastly, you get the option to ask questions and say your final words.

Interview Questions

• You and your team are traveling 16 hours to West Virginia to work on trail construction. How do you handle the length of travel and what safety tips would you give your team?   1 Answer
    • Vital tools needed to complete a project have failed to show up, without any explanation. What would you do?   1 Answer
    • Your team has been given tickets to Jazz Fest in New Orleans as a gift from a support organization. What do you remind your team of?   1 Answer

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Spokane, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Showed up for the first interview and was told the supervisor was busy and had to reschedule a week out. Once I got the interview I was asked very basic questions that didn't seem in depth enough for the position I was applying for. I was ultimately left confused and once I started I found out everything said to me in the interview about the position had been a complete lie since not enough people applied to allow them to be picky in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have working with troubled youth?   1 Answer

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Baltimore, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

Laid back setting. The interview will likely include making your own lesson plan for students. Best to make it as interactive as possible. Mines was a group interview so you had to do your best to stand out but the best way to do that with your lesson plan. Please dress business casual the panel will most likely include a group of young professionals (millennials)