AmeriCorps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.5

4-H Capital AmeriCorps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Austin, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied to the job through the My AmeriCorps website, and then got an email from the project coordinator. I was asked in for an interview, and told that in addition to normal interview questions, I would need to prepare a mini-lesson to demonstrate my teaching style. My interviewers role-played the children in my classroom, and I presented my lesson to them. Afterwards they asked me questions and I answered, as per a normal interview.

Interview Questions

• What does community service mean to you, and why is it important?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

I had an initial interview with my host site. Nothing too intimidating. Just the usual questions. They are trying to get a feel for your experience, passion for the cause and location, and whether or not you are a good fit for the program. My second interview was with my sponsoring organization (not all sites have this). It was the exact same as the first interview, but with a different person.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in your first 90 days of service if offered the position?   Answer Question

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

The interview was a brief process that lasted one hour. They asked standard questions about my interests and reason for joining. The focus on the interview was geared more towards the position and the location than on the AmeriCorps aspect.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

1.5 hour phone interview. I spoke with two individuals in City Year. I was asked about my experience working with children; my ways of self care; any questions about City Year; my long-term professional plans.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge that you faced in individual, small group and large group settings, and how you overcame the challenge.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

Very basic, asks why you would like to join AmeriCorps, and what your experience is. The interview itself can be somewhat lengthy depending on the program you applied for. The organization I applied for assessed me for two positions. For those going through an interview process, I encourage you to ask questions. Overall, very friendly.

NCCC Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

Pretty much five minutes long over the phone. Just ask you if you are capable of living in harsher conditions with a team of 10 other people, and if you are willing to do physical labor. Your answers are just 'yes' or 'no' .. there is no explaining as to why you think the program is right for you. That's because, as long as you are capable of doing the work and living the way that is provided, everything else is pretty much a lottery system.

Interview Questions

• Are you capable of doing physical labor for 6-12 hour days?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Virginia Beach, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

The process was fast and they contacted me within a few days to conduct and interview. I came in for an in person interview within two weeks after applying online.

Reading Corps Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I Had 2 phone interviews. In the first we mostly talked about locations, but there were also some basic interview questions. The second we talked more about experiences I have had, and how that could help me with this job. I received an email soon afterwards telling me I did not get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Richmond, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Meaningful and authentic; I interviewed with two Regional Supervisors and they were good at learning about my interests in AmeriCorps, teaching, education and how my skills and abilities would be of use for this service.

Interview Questions

• What are your interests in serving AmeriCorps?   1 Answer

Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Lansing, MI) in August 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of three. Two of them were the program directors as the one was leaving and she was training the new one so I interviewed with both. My direct site supervisor was also there. Most people I talked to said they were only interviewed by the site supervisor and the program director, so mine might have been a special case. I really liked that the program was very flexible and we talked about that in my interview, as I was concerned about attending college classes while doing AmeriCorps

Interview Questions

• (applying to a position that worked with many refugees) Some of our clients tend to get a bit off topic and share stories about their life, what would you do if this happened to you while coaching a team member?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None