AmeriCorps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 30, 2017

2.4

Literary Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Waldorf, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

The application process included an online application, phone interview and Skype interview. The phone interview takes about 15 minutes, you are asked about details on your resume. You are also required to have two references that Americorps will send emails to for a questionaire. After this there is a skype or face to face interview. Questions are asked in many categories, including whether you understand the job description, whether you can live on the stipend and what can you uniquely bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep things interesting if you find the position getting repetitive?   Answer Question

Vista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moab, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Moab, UT) in July 2016.

Interview

I was pre-interviewed by the local VISTA Leader before interviewing with my site supervisor. The pre-interview was more about my general fit in the community (small town, whether I am type A or B, etc.) and my second interview with the supervisor was specific to the position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps.

Interview

I submitted my application online. There's a lot of back-and-forth emailing. The recruiters are very active and helpful. Then they set up a time for a phone call - and that was it! A 30-minute phone call. It seems like the earlier you submit, the more likely you are to get your #1 location.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions… "Describe a situation where you overcame issues with a member of the team and how you did that." They also want to make sure you're persistent but realistic - and not just thinking that you're going to change every kid's life that easily. It seemed like most of their questions were geared towards, "so what are you going to do when a kid isn't cooperating?"   Answer Question

Americorps VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Meadville, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Meadville, PA).

Interview

The multi-stage process to apply for AmeriCorps is both energizing and patience-testing. I interviewed with the local project Leaders and Coordinators first, and then, once that stage was passed, my application was forwarded to sites I was interested in, as well as a few they thought my skills may be good for. I had interviews requested for all of the positions I was interested in, and one even requested a preliminary phone interview. This same one requested additional references that they actually contacted. I also had a second meeting with the Leader and Coordinator, which directly addressed any problem areas that may have come up in the initial background.

Interview Questions

• These are the issues that came up when we contacted your references. How do you feel about these and what do you plan to do to address these problem areas in the future?   Answer Question

Literacy Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

I sent in my application, and was immediately contacted by the interviewer. We set up a time to talk over the phone. I honestly gave a pretty crummy interview, I was nervous and said "um" a lot. But, I was very qualified, and it seemed like the program really just wanted anyone who do follow a script and enter data!

Interview Questions

• What is your experience working with children?   1 Answer

AmeriCorps VISTA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps in May 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first interview was a short 15-minute interview to get to know me. The second-round interview was another short interview, about 20 minutes long. They both asked common questions that focused more on my past experience but weren't behavorial interview questions. I was offered the position, but unfortunately had to decline.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this program?
      What skills do you have that relate to this position?   Answer Question

Americorps VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Fill out an online application then do an over the phone interview. Phone interview was easy and fast. Easiest job I ever applied to. Asked in depth questions about passions and drive. Management was easy to talk to.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Scranton, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

One would apply online and wait to receive a call. They call you once and ask questions about how you would handle situations. The process getting in to this service program is very easy and requires very little qualifications.

VISTA Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Baltimore, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

Long. Four phone interviews. Got offered one position. They are friendly, though. And, the questions aren't difficult. They want to make sure you fully understand what you're applying for and will pass your application along to other recruiters to help you get a position.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had to exhibit leadership and what did you learn? What does teamwork mean to you? You will be living on a wage that reflects the living conditions of the community you'll be working in, will this be a problem for you?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AmeriCorps (Vicksburg, MS) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied after I was accepted as a team member. You might get an email saying they want you to apply as a Leader based on your application. Interview was about 3 weeks later via phone. They asked basic info about Americorps and the structure of the program. They asked for experiences in leadership, how I handle stress, and the most important volunteer work I've done. Then for an instance of a similar experience to Americorps (if I've lived with the same people I work with).

From there it got really complicated, and they asked scenario questions that didn't make much sense to me, and I honestly wasn't prepared for them. I answered poorly in my opinion. Lastly, you get the option to ask questions and say your final words.

Interview Questions

• You and your team are traveling 16 hours to West Virginia to work on trail construction. How do you handle the length of travel and what safety tips would you give your team?   1 Answer
    • Vital tools needed to complete a project have failed to show up, without any explanation. What would you do?   1 Answer
    • Your team has been given tickets to Jazz Fest in New Orleans as a gift from a support organization. What do you remind your team of?   1 Answer