American Airlines Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

American Airlines Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process really opened my eyes to the world of aviation and transportation. During interview, you were seated at a table of 6-8 people. Get to know these people because they are your future classmates, coworkers, froends and foes. Recruiters are watching and taking notes as they observe how you interact and listen to your peers. Games are played with the intent to observe how well you relate to others and the world in general. Each interview session has a host that will guide you through the interview and answer any questions you have. Once the recruiters have observed you in a big crowd, the will hold smaller interviews with groups of 8 people. If they decide they want you, you will be called, in no particular order, from the big room to have finger prints done and an additional one-on-one interview will be held.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time where you had to take the initiative and how it worked out.   13 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First off I am not sure I would have done as well as I did on the interview if it were not for Glassdoor. It was a great resource for studying and knowing what to expect. I hope I am able to help a few others along the way!

I submitted my application August 14th and received an invitation to do the video interview on August 31st. I had 5 days to complete the interview and I did mine on September 4th. Use those days to prepare! In my video interview I was asked these questions: 1) What excites you most about moving to a new city after training? 2)Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation. 3) Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort. 4) What was your best customer service experience? 5) Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles? You have 1 minute between questions and 3 minutes to respond to each question. For the video interview, be sure to dress just as you would for a face to face interview. Also remember to look at the camera and not yourself (as you will be able to see yourself on the screen during the interview).

On September 27th I received an invitation to schedule my face to face interview, which was on October 7th in Dallas. I arrived about an hour early and sat with others interviewing for the position. I do not think there were any "hidden recruiters" watching us, but it was nice to get to know everyone because you will be spending lots of time with them that day! We were taken into a room with tables set up and 8 chairs were at each table. We had a worksheet to do and a very short writing assignment (nothing scary or intimidating - just common sense). After everyone arrived, we watched a video about American Airlines and then went into the group activity. Each table had to write down 3 things that everyone at the table had in common and then 1 unique thing about each individual. One spokesperson for the group presented it to the room, but everyone did stand up front and say there name. The rest of the room had to guess which characteristic belonged to which person. During the group activity, recruiters were writing notes on their clipboards. We were then split up into different groups for a group interview. All of us were asked the same two questions: 1) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. 2) Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer. Then we each chose a card and were not able to look at it until we were ready to stand up and read the question. Everyone had a different question. I was asked to tell them about my most recent travel experience. After the group interview, we watched a presentation about the job (what they do, hours, pay, benefits, etc.) and then asked any questions if we had them. Then everyone was called out of the room one by one. We were told that they were calling us out to confirm our contact information and that we would find out within two weeks if they wanted us or not. Now I can only speak on my particular experience and I did not talk with anyone else to know what happens if they did not get a job offer. I was called into the room and answered some questions one on one with a recruiter (none of these questions were confirming my contact information by the way). I was then taken to do a reach test, sit in the jump seat, fill out paperwork for a background check, and I was fingerprinted. I received my CJO 5 days later on October 12th!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city after training?   3 Answers
    • Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort.   Answer Question
    • What was your best customer service experience?   2 Answers
    • Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your most recent travel experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Disclaimer: I am still waiting to hear back for a CJO (Job Offer) or a TBNT (Thanks But No Thanks) letter. However I did make it to the Face-to-Face and did the reach test/was fingerprinted.

Video Interview:
    For the video interview, they will email you saying you have 5 days to complete your interview. This is done through an application (for your computer or phone). An automated voice will ask you a question and you will have to answer within the time limit. If you finish before the time limit, you are able to click the next button, otherwise it continues itself and cuts you off. Take the advice of others on glassdoor, dress similar to a flight attendant. Females: I wore a white shirt with a black blazer and my hair in a bun. Simple with no jewelry. I did a light layer of red lipstick. Males: I hear it's best to be clean shaven, wear a button up, blazer if you feel the need. If you have multiple piercings, keep it to one set (one in each ear) and remove any other ones.

Important: Review questions on here that people got in their Video Interview. I gathered all possible questions here and studied. Every question that I was given in the video interview, I had an answer for because I knew it was coming.

Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5): See Below

Preparing for Face-to-Face Interview:
    Congrats! You've made it. You should get an email stating that you have passed the Video Interview. You may be getting multiple emails so be patient but also don't be afraid to email the Talent Advisor. You will get an email or call; they will be asking for information so they can prepare your flight out. You will get an option between two days out of the week (these dates will be about 2 weeks out from when you receive the email). You can pick whether you want to fly in the same day of your interview or the day before. They will do their best to fly you out same day if that's what you ask. However, if your flight will arrive too close to the interview time then they will ask if they can fly you before (This happened to me). You must pay for your hotel and find transportation to the interview if you choose to go the day before.

ACTUAL Face-To-Face:
    Whew. We are here.
    If your location is the same as mine; your interview will be located at the Training & Conference center. They did not state the building. I asked a security guard and mine was held in the Falcon building. You enter a room, two people will be there to greet you. Someone behind a desk, signing you in (Remember! Bring a passport and ID - or passport receipt and ID) and a beautiful Flight Attendant who will act as the host. You will be asked to sit at the front-most tables that are closest to the screen. There are about 8 people to a table. An opening introduction is made by the host and the recruiters (about 6) come in and introduce themselves.

You will play the game Who's Who? It's really easy and how to play doesn't really matter so I'll skip that. The important thing to note is that the recruiters are walking around and observing you working together. They are taking notes! So just be aware. Then there is a break (about 10 mins) where you can use the restroom and snack on the food provided. Then you will be called by a recruiter for the group interview. They call 8 of you randomly and lead you into a separate room. Another person you haven't seen will be there.

Group Interview: You will be asked about 3 questions.
    -1) Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be a FA?
    -2) When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
    -3) Random Question, drawn from a pile of cards.

Important: They want you to keep it short! Do not ramble. Provide an answer to the question - do your best to circle it back to customer service. Stay composed. This interview process is more based on how you act than the actual questions itself (which are very few).

You will go back to the room for a presentation on salary, benefits, day in the life, etc. They tell you that at a later day you will be finger printed and possibly given a job offer. They will say after the presentation everyone will be called out one-on-one to review resumes and ask a few more questions.

As others have stated, it's a lie that you get fingerprinted on another day. Some went home and others (like myself) were taken to a separate room after the one-on-one to fill out info for a background check, do a reach test and get finger printed.

You will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I went to the F2F on the 3rd and am still waiting to hear back. hope I helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant?   3 Answers
    • --Possible Random Questions:
      ~~~How would you interact with others? What's a quality a FA should have? What was your last travel experience? What does customer service mean to you? Positive role model? What are your hobbies? Last Facebook post? What do you know about AA? What company comes to mind when you think of great customer service? Importance of the uniform?
      Answer Question
    • Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5):
      1. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      2. What was your best/worst customer service experience?
      3. What can you bring to the company?
      4. Can you adhere to the no piercing, tattoo, or extreme hair policy?
      5. What is the importance of the uniform?
      6. Tell me about a hard situation you had to adapt to?
      7. What do you forsee the challenges of being a flight attendant?
      8. How did your last job help you prepare to be a flight attendant?
      etc. etc. review glassdoor! :)
      1 Answer

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

FACE TO FACE: I flew out the day before because I was coming from CA and didn't want to stress about potentially being late for the interview. Day of: I was a half hour early, and chatted with some of the other candidates. We were welcomed by a recruiter and then escorted to the interviewing room. There was about 4 tables of 7-8 we had about 45 people there. The host makes you feel SO welcome. And I'm not just saying that. I walked in with sweaty palms and felt so relaxed when he greeted me in. I also was myself! Chatted with everyone within my table. They're watching you the second you walk through that door

We start with a short writing assignment. Ranking a situation with things of most important to least important. Then we played a fun quick game. We had a short break and then we're called out on by one with different people from the room to do that group interview. It's a panel interview. We were all in a line while the 2 recruiters were in front of us. We were asked 3 questions total. First (in order), question was tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. After that 2nd question, in no order, tell as a time you had to deal with a customer who was having a challenging situation. 3rd question, we drew from a pile. Mine was: Tell us about your most recent travel experience.

Best advice is to be yourself and stay true to who you are <3
    After this we went back and watched a power point about the day in the life at AA
    Then one by one people were called out. I was about the 8th called out. And was walked into a separate room where I was given a one on one and CJO!
    As read before this really is the more relaxing part. They're so genuine and some of the nicest people I've ever met including all the other candidates. If you don't get a CJO I encourage you to reapply.
    This is an amazing company!
    After this we do a drug screen, finger prints and fitted for a jump seat and over head compartment reach test. I start training on the 6Th of March!

I hope this helps! I know I was looking everyday here on glass door.
    It's okay to be nervous! Just know you'll be in good hands! best of luck! ✈️💕

Interview Questions

• Possible random questions: Importance of the uniform? What is a quality a flight attendant should have? What does customer service mean to you? If you could be with someone on a plane for 12 hours who would it be and why?   25 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I wanted to write this review as a pay it forward, sorry it's so long. When I started my interview process these postings helped tremendously! From when I submitted my resume to my face to face interview it took about 7 weeks, sounds like everybody is a little different depending on when you submitted your resume.

If they accepted your online application they will ask you to do the next step, video interview.
    It's as weird as you can imagine. Dress to impress even if they can only see your upper body, smile and don't be afraid to look at the camera. They will ask you 5 questions, they want to get to know you, make your answers personal and genuine. An automatic voice asks you the questions, it gives you time to think about an answer before they start recording your response. But just smile, smile, smile!!! After I finished the video interview it took a few weeks for me to hear back from them, so don't lose hope if you don't hear from them right away. You will hear back from them if you move on to the next step or not. I received a congratulations email with a following invitation to have a face to face interview in Fort Worth, Texas. I was coming from out of state and they will set up flights for you, be prepared to pay for your own hotel for a night or two if need be. Most people flew in the morning of the interview and flew home right after, very few had to stay the night somewhere.

Now for the face to face interview. It does last about four hours, if you make it to the end, if you don't it's about three hours. They will give you snacks and beverages but just because you're nervous you should still eat at least something small before, it is a very long day! You walk into the lobby and most interviewees are there about an hour or more before your scheduled time. You get to know a little back story about everyone sitting in the room, don't worry if you don't remember names you'll get name tags. You are then taken into a room where you'll be for the majority of your day with about 40 other interviewees. There is a hostess for the day and her number 1 job is to make you a little less stressed and answer any questions that you have. There are recruiting officers in the room with you at times, they are watching your every move but just be yourself! You will have an ice breaker with the table you are sitting at. Have fun with it, and make friends with the people at your table. I found it easier to be myself once I got to know people around me. After the ice breaker your hostess will give you a small presentation about American Airlines and after they will call your names into groups. Groups of 6-8 people and 2 AA's staff were in the room for group interview. Relax and keep smiling! We were given three questions, two were the same for all of us and another was a random question and different for everyone. After the group interview you're brought back to the room with everyone else again. Relax and breathe, you're half way thru your day! Your hostess will give a presentation about the flight attendant position you are applying for while the recruiters decide who will make it to the next step or not.

The next step, one on one and fingerprinting. After the presentation they call you one by one, a few at a time etc. and in no order they are either taking you to the next step or you're ending your day. I was asked to stay for the next step. About 15 people made it to the next step from the 40 people that started. For the one on one don't be nervous just have a conversation with the recruiter they are there to get to know you, she asked me about two direct questions but questions came up in the midst of conversation. Be thankful and smile! I received a few phone numbers from other people to keep in touch, you don't have to but might be something good to have. This step took about an hour and you'll hear back from them between 3-10 business days if you got the job or not and you are done for the day. You can finally breathe again!

Dress to impress aka dress as if you are a flight attendant, look the part!
    Smile, and be yourself!
    Goodluck to everyone, and be proud that you made it this far because not many people do!

What to bring: (Doesn't necessarily mean you'll be needing all these items.)
    Pens
    Paper
    Resume or anything that needs to be updated since you submitted it (Letter of Recommendations)
    Passport
    ID
    (Ladies) Lipstick to touch up during the day

Interview Questions

• Questions about customer service experiences and what it means to you.

How you handle difficult or challenging situations.

Why you want to become a flight attendant for AA.

How you feel about relocating around the US.
      5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I recently did my f2f interview on 1/23. The moment I received the email, I began to prep. I studied this site and questions EVERYDAY! Make sure that you look the part, if you can afford to get your face done, do it. Nothing too extreme, just enough to make it look like you put in some effort. Be yourself, be cautious of your conversation with the other candidates. Overall, the interview process wasn't hard, most of the questions are on this site, smile and act like you want it! I accepted my job offer 2 days ago. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   14 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Here is my timeline:
    Application/Assessment: 10/13/16
    Application updated: 11/07/16
    Video Interview Invite: 11/10/16
    F2F Invite: 12/08/16
    TBNT: 12/21/16

My best advice for passing the Video Interview is to give yourself scenarios for each question, but do not actually practice what you will say. By doing this I feel like you stay more genuine with your responses. Every question for the Video Interview I was able to find on Glassdoor.

F2F. This is a long day. I was flown out very early in the morning and did not return home until midnight. (The flight is provided by AA) I wore my interview clothing on the plane and I brought a carry on with a change of clothes for after the interview. They let you store your baggage in a room while you are in the group interview, so it is perfectly fine to bring luggage. I was advised against wearing bright colors so I stuck to black. A few candidates who got to the next step were in bright colored blazers, tops, suits, etc... I really think AA looks past what you are wearing. When you sit down you'll fill out a paper, they'll ask for your passport expiration date and ask if you brought any letters of recommendation. (very few people did, I didn't even think to bring any)

The group exercises are really fun. They do a good job making you feel welcomed, the facility is very nice too. I chose to sit with the girls I arrived on the bus with and I probably shouldn't have. Recruiters want to see how you interact with everyone, so don't cling to the first person who chats with you. (I personally think a few candidates are planted there to say outlandish things so the recruiters can see how you react. That is the only way to justify the things one person at my table was saying.)

After the ice breaker we are assigned to groups of 8-10 for a smaller group interview. Everyone in the room answers the same question except for the last question which is randomly selected from a card. I feel like the more information you give in your answers the better. I noticed the people who were selected were some of the candidates that had the most to say when answering. I'm not saying to ramble on and on...the star method is probably best if you can remember to touch on each step when answering.

I can't really say what the recruiters are looking for. One girl in my group said she didn't know why she wanted to be a flight attendant and she made it to the next round. I know you aren't supposed to say things like, "I want to travel or I love the benefits" but I was very surprised by her answer. (haha, maybe the recruiters were too) Talking about SAFETY does not guarantee you to the next round either.

After that group interview we were brought back to the main room to watch a presentation about the company and an overview of flight attendant duties. You can also ask any questions after the presentation. It took about 20-30 minutes. After this is when the recruiters are coming back to call people for one on ones. Of my group of 35-40 I believe about 8 were selected to the next step. They tell everyone that they are going to verify information with you, and call you out one at a time regardless. I was chosen near the end of the pack. The room was cold because there were maybe 10 people left. They tell you no one hears right away and this is true. Even those who make it to the finger printing and one on one interview don't know same day. I noticed that the people who were selected took a R, and those were not took a L once they exited the door. This could be just a coincidence but it panned out pretty accurately. When I was called (went L) I was walked to the front of the facility by a recruiter and given a slip with my flight and gate number info on it. There were quite a few people waiting for the next shuttle back to the airport.

I will be reapplying (your timer starts from the day you submitted your first application) come April. This was a very good experience. I learned a lot from watching my successful peers. The key really is being able to interview well. Practice makes perfect. Best of luck to you!

Interview Questions

• Group Activity: What is something about yourself someone wouldn't know just by looking at you?   2 Answers

Web Developer, Digital Communication Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Someone from the HR team reached out to me 2 weeks after I had applied for the position. I was suppose to travel down to the AA headquarters in Dallas, but ended up with a phone interview due to the snow storm in the east coast.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Which color would you use for a Delete button?
      Couple of situational Questions.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Very pleasant. You play a game with people at your table and it helps break the ice. Then you go into groups and are all asked the same two questions. After that you select a question and answer it on the spot. Then you go back and get all these American Airlines information... like salary and bases. Then they choose you or not.

Interview Questions

• How important is a flight attendant uniform?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Fort Worth, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied in early November and did an online assessment. Then maybe 2 or 3 weeks later I got asked to do a video interview. I thought I did absolutely terrible bc I felt my answers were really vague and I just couldn't get comfortable around the camera. But just keep smiling and pushing on if that happens to you too. I thought for sure I didn't get it bc I looked on the job site and saw AA wasn't hiring anymore. But then 2 weeks ago I got an email saying I got an invitation to do a f2f interview in Texas! I had to go and apply for a passport first and then send a picture of my receipt to prove I was in the process of getting it. I have my interview on Feb. 28th and I'm really nervous but this site has been super helpful and made me feel more confident going into it. I'm glad I know what to expect now and I won't be surprised of anything when I get there. So fingers crossed! Good luck to all the other candidates applying!

Interview Questions

• Are you able to adhere to AA policies of no tattoos, no multiple ear piercings, no crazy hair, etc.   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to relocate after training?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Still waiting to attend my f2f interview so stay tuned!