American Airlines Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.8

562 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I first applied for American on around May 16th, 2017. It's my 4th or 5th time applying for a flight attendant job and I used all of my past experiences as well as interview questions that were specific to American from Glassdoor, plus some youtube videos and online articles. The flight attendant position is not an easy one to get and it was clear to see who in the group had prepared for what the career entails and who hadn't. If you are not passionate, and if you haven't done your research on the career and on the specific company, you won't get it. I posted a review on here a while ago but it was unfinished and through another account I think, but I'll quickly sum up the steps in the interview process. The first step is actually applying for the job. I went through their website online- make sure to have a good resume for a flight attendant (customer service experiences especially- anything about safety is also a plus). The next day I got a link to the online assessment- just a quick test with a few personality questions and situational questions. I didn't receive my invitation for a video interview until June 1st- over 2 weeks after initially applying. I don't remember all of the questions anymore, but generally they ask about customer service experience, why the flight attendant career is right for you, why American, plus if you're able to adhere to the no tattoo policy, etc. The customer service/diversity aspects are the most important things to American so if you want to be prepared, just think of every possible costumer service story- your best and worst qualities, how you treat difficult customers, how to give someone a good experience, etc. For the video interview, dress as if you are going to a face to face. (Business attire- dress like you are already a flight attendant- red lipstick for ladies- neutral colored nail polish- neat hair- etc.) Have a very professional background, I had a world map on the wall behind me in my room. There were about 6 questions and you look at your face on the screen as you can read along with the questions as they come up- they are read out loud by a voice as well. You have I think maybe 30 seconds-a minute to read each question and prepare, and then something like 3 minutes to record each answer. It's nerve wracking at first but everyone who I've talked to at face to face interview felt their video interview was awful- but it got them through. As long as you look professional and give good enough answers you should make it. I felt it was my best video interview yet (the 4th one I had done) and so I was surprised when I wasn't responded to for 2 months. I got a phonemail from an unknown number on probably July 28th, and it was a man inviting me to a face to face interview on August 15th in Dallas. Living in New York, I would have to fly to Dallas. The flight itinerary and face to face details emails were sent to me a little over a week later and the flights were paid for and everything. The interview itself was 12:30-4:30 but for me the day started at 3am getting up to get ready for the airport, and ended at almost midnight when my flight finally landed. The face to face is a long day, consists of a few presentations and group activities and interviews. It's all very simple and common sense if you actually study and prepare by knowing about what they're looking for. There were maybe 50 people there and it seemed like there were a good amount of us who got a final short face to face interview at the end with a reach test, sitting in the jump seat and copying the passport- but there were also a good amount who didn't do any of that. I hear it's a good sign to do a reach test and all that, and it seems like it would be, so I'm hoping I'll get a CJO before this weekend! They say they'll let you know within 2 weeks, I really hope it's within 2 days!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Name your most valuable customer service skill   1 Answer
    • Why American Airlines, and not any other airline?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Two interviewers simultaneously interviewed 6 potential candidates. Each question was asked of the interviewees and individually answered. Making it more challenging for the 1st interviewee while the others listened to the answer and pondered their own response.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Application

Interview

I submitted my application around May 18th. I received an email on June 14th and was invited to move to the next step and complete the video interview. Yesterday, August 18, I received a phone call from a recruiter who advised I passed the video interview and was invited to a face to face interview next week.

Interview Questions

• Describe your last travel experience.   8 Answers

Trainee Flight Attendant Interview

Application

Interview

First, let me tell you. The interview process is smooth. So relax and take a deep breath.
    Now that you've taken a deep breath, I will tell you more.

So, basically how it works is:

1) You submit an online application when the window opens for the Flight Attendant position. Typically the window to apply opens 2-5 times a year. (This all depends on operational need to fill the position, by the way.) From there, you will create a profile and this is what you will use to check on your application as well as the e-mail address you use when you apply. Whether you apply for English speaker or a language position you will do the interview with everyone. It is all the same position. You will get tested for your language skills if you are offered the position. Anyway, you will upload your resumé and cover letter to the website and fill out a little bit of information, like where you want to be based and you better put anywhere.... because sorry to tell you that you go where they need you to be based. You should also put that you're willing to travel 100% of the time, Understand before applying that this position requires you to work nights, weekends and holidays.

2) If the recruiters or "computer" like your resumé and cover letter, they will send you an assessment. It can take anywhere from 2 hours to 3 months to get this assessment. Basically, it is a test to see your personality and what you do in certain situations. Just be honest and don't take too long to answer.

3) Video interview is next, again this is contingent if you pass the personality and what would you do in this scenario test. This can take anywhere from a day to months to get too, so just keep checking your e-mail. They only give you 3-5 days to complete it. You can literally study the questions for the interview on Glassdoor. If you find yourself stressing out for your own interview then sorry to say but you've done that to yourself. Study, study, study.... prepare, prepare, prepare. Practice recording your answers and watch them, review them and make your answers better. Please don't say you love to travel. You have three minutes to answer each question. Just make sure you will answer what they ask you and do not ramble on. Answer the question, smile, smile, smile. Make sure you look into the camera and not at yourself. Again, I can't stress enough. Follow directions and answer what they are asking you.

4) F2F Face to face interview is next. So if you passed the video interview you should either get a call or e-mail from Talent Acquisition. The recruiters will help you get a date and a flight itinerary. Typically you will fly in the same day for your interview. Just prepare yourself for a long day. The interview takes 1-5 hours. You will get to the training center and wait in the lobby until the recruiters come to get you. If you see other candidates there talk to them and make friends. It makes the day much easier to get through. Anyway, once you get called in by the recruiters you will all go into a room where there are about 5-6 tables. You will sit there with 5-6 people at a table. The host will go over some stuff about AA and then you will all do a group activity together. Recruiters will come in and watch how you interact. You play a fun game called Who's Who? After all that theres a little break, and you get separated to do a group interview. There are about 4-6 people in the group interview and you will do that in a separate room. Then you will come back to the original room and they will do a presentation on the company and what it's like to work with American. At the end of the presentation you will have an opportunity to ask any questions to the host. From there the recruiters will call you out one by one. You may or may not get a one on one interview. Sometimes they hire on the spot and other times they do not. If you get called for the one on one you may do a few tests after to see if you fit in the jump seat and if you can reach the fire extinguisher in the overhead bin. They may or may not take a copy of your passport, take your finger prints, drug test etc. I think it just depends on time if they do it all in one day. I have had some friends get the job offer the same day and others get it 2-3 weeks after so don't worry.

** Make sure you have a passport, or proof that you've applied for one **
    ** Don't be too pushy **
    ** Be respectful and humble, shine when it is your turn **
    ** Speak clearly **

Just to give you an idea my timeline was

Initial application May 2017
    Assessment June 2017
    Video Interview July 2017
    F2F August 2017
    CJO September 2017

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant for American Airlines?   Answer Question
    • What excites you most about moving to a new city?   Answer Question
    • If you could sit next to anyone on a flight for 12 hours who would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent travel experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

The process as what you read prior, the biggest difference since classes are filled for 2017. American is looking to fill the 2018 classes, which means no paperwork, drug screens or background checks.

Overall experience was good, I made new friends which is a plus. The last part of the interview is the 1:1 interview, which means they walk you done the hallway and ask how your experience was and provide you a paper with your shuttle bus information for the airport.

If you did not do the reach test you'll receive the TBNT email within 3 days.

Good luck everyone.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why do you want to work for American.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

1. Application first submitted online: MAY 15, 2017

2. Psychological test / questionnaire MAY 17, 2017

3. Video Interview Assessment received MAY 24, 2017
               - The video interview is the hardest part. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. Make sure you dress like a flight attendant, have a good background you are filming in, and quiet room! You are asked around 5 simple questions.. (tell us about yourself / Do you have tattoos / tell us about a good customer experience you had / tell us why you want to be a flight attendant / are you okay with relocating) Most importantly be yourself.. there is no right or wrong answer they just want to understand and get to know you better. Take your time and don't forget to SMILE!! BE HAPPY!

4. Received a call (919 area code) JUNE 12, 2017
               -Congrats made it to the next and final step scheduling final interview in Dallas scheduled interview JUNE 21, 2017. They give you 2 dates and 2 different times to choose from. Both of my flights were all in one day, so no hotel needed. They later on send 2 follow up emails with more detailed flight/interview information.

5. Final interview Dallas, TX 12:30pm JUNE 21, 2017.
                 -After landing in Dallas they have a scheduled shuttle bus at the airport that takes you to the headquarters. There were around 50 other candidates there from all over the US. They brought us into a conference room where there were 8 different tables and we all sat at different tables and introduced ourselves to one another. (Meet as many people as possible they are watching you). We started with a simple group activity and one presenter from your group presents it in the front of the other groups (be the presenter).
           - After the group activity they called us out in groups of 10 Brough us to a different room with 2 HR interviewers they asked us 3 questions each in front of the group. (Tell us about a difficult customer experience you had to deal with / Why do you want to be a AA flight attendant / What is the most recent act of kindness you've done).
          - After the group interviews we went into the main conference room and met all the other groups watched a AA video on the company and they told us that we would then be called out one by one for any last questions about are resume and to answers any questions we might have. I was the 9th person called out and I was taken to another room with a HR interviewer to answer more questions wanting to get to know. little more about me.
             -After that I was taken to another room to get fingerprinted, do a stand and reach test, and a jump seat test. All really easy nothing difficult to complete. I was then brought to the front to catch a shuttle bus an was told I would here back within 2 weeks.
            - I received my CJO (certified job offer) 5 days later on June 26th / just because you get a job offer doesn't mean you fully have the job. You then have to attend 6.5 weeks of training in Dallas. Still waiting on my date for training :)

Good Luck! if you read other peoples experience on Glassdoor and the questions they were asked you will be very well prepared! Be yourself!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself? & Why you want to be a AA flight attendant.   1 Answer
    • Can you abide to the policy of no crazy hairstyles and tattoos? and are you willing to relocate?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a good customer experience you had   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a recent travel experience you had?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

May 18 - Applied online
    May 19 - Personality test
    June 14 - Video interview invitation
    June 17 - Completed Video Interview
    August 24 - Invitation for face to face interview
    September 7 - Face to face interview scheduled!

Anyone else have a F2F on 9/7!?

Best advice I can give for this process is remain patient and positive!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant at AA?   4 Answers
    • Can you abide by AA's no tattoo policy?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Applied online and received a video interview about a week later, to which you had five days to complete. About two months later, I got a call to come in for a f2f. They flew me out to Dallas the morning of. Walked into the lobby where about 40 of us were waiting. We did a group activity first where they observe you and how you interact with people. They then called us out in different groups where we were placed in a different room and had a group interview. First we all answered the same two questions. Then we were each given a different card with a question on it that we were not able to look at until it was our turn to read and answer the question. After the group interview, we watched a video about the company and was able to ask questions. During the question time, we were each called out one by one. This is where you find out if you get the job or not. If they take you to another room to ask more questions, do a reach test and a jump seat test, you got it. But if they walk you out towards the exit and pretend to ask you other questions, you didn't get it. They tell you that you don't find out that day, but you can easily tell whether or not you got it. Received the declined email a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us one unique thing about you.   Answer Question
    • Tell us a little about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you turned a bad situation into a good one.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online days later i recicieved an email to complete my online assessment. I completed e online assessment. i think it was the next day i got an email to complete my VI. I completed it on the fifth day ( which i don't suggest) but i got it done. One week later i got a call about coming to a face 2 face.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant   2 Answers

Leadership Development Interview

Application

Interview

I had to do 2 phone screenings. The first one was more about myself and my technical experience and the second one was a behavioral interview. I also had to answer 5 essay type questions via email. I am still waiting to hear back from the hiring authority.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have to collaborate with different stakeholders to design a learning program   Answer Question