American Airlines Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 21, 2017

3.3

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in March 2017.

Interview

It started off with recruiters coming to my university. My process was expedited but the average time for the entire process is 6-8 weeks. There is an Excel based case study that you have 45 mins to complete, and then a phone interview if you were successful and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview started off with "What do you think is the biggest challenge for airlines in general" and then "What do you think is the biggest problem for American" followed by situational pricing questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I first had phone interview where they asked me basic accounting questions about debits/credits and some critical thinking questions. Then I was asked to come into their headquarters in dallas/fort worth where I had a more traditional interview and discussed previous experience.

Interview Questions

• according to you what is the most useful function in excel?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through the company website. I had two phone screen interviews the first of which was a resume walk through and the second of which was more technical accounting questions. The next week I was flown out for an in person interview with three managers in Dallas, these were more casual interviews, mostly behavioral and about my career interests. The HR representative was very helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Go through Debits and Credits
      How does American Airlines give back value to shareholders?
      How would you estimate how many flights fly out of the Orlando airport every day?
      Benefit of a direct flight vs a flight with many layovers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First round phone interview with simple accounting questions about debits and credits for assets, liabilities, SE and a contra asset account followed by some behavioral questions. next round was an in person with some conflict resolution and brain teasers focused on the industry as a whole. Easy process just know your stuff about the industry and simple accounting and your good to go.

Interview Questions

• What is one amenity that you think is most important on a flight?
      We have recently been given 6 slots a day to land in Cuba, should we use all of them.
      How do you brainstorm? in a group or individually?
      What is leadership to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was all technical questions. One phone interview and one in person. Difficult interview, but if you come prepared it isn't hard to nail. Understanding how financial statements work is huge, especially how an airline may use them.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus recruiting. Went to their booth at a career fair, had a phone screen interview two weeks after. A week after that, had a final round, on-campus interview with a manager. Got an offer two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between accrued and deferred expenses?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your past internship experiences, and what's the most important thing you learned?   Answer Question
    • Why is budgeting important?   Answer Question
    • How does a company return capital to its shareholders?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Austin, TX).

Interview

It was on campus recruiting. Half hour interview with behavior and technical questions. The hiring manager has a list of questions to ask about how you know about the company, why airlines, why this position, and why this company. There were several behavior questions and technical questions. The second round was a valuation model that needed to be finished within one hour.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in September 2015.

Interview

They offered me an interview after meeting them at my university career fair. I had a 30 minute interview the next day that was a mixture of behavioral and technical questions. They e-mailed me about 2 weeks later letting me know I made it to the second round, an excel case interview round. An analyst called me and then I had one hour to complete an excel case and send it back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Airlines (Ann Arbor, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly they asked my plan after graduation and then asked me whether I need sponsorship or not. And then they gave me three piece of paper with accounting questions on it. Most of the questions were learned in my intermediate accounting class. And then they asked me some personal opinion about the balance sheet and some practical questions about the company and the entire air industry.

Interview Questions

• Recently our company added a new route from Detroit to Shanghai. What accouting information will you look at to determine whether it is a good strategy or not?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

Received screening interview with HR basic questions about your resume. Then invited me to a phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview with the manager was ok. She had a lot of questions and they are really interested on what you know about excel. Also make sure you have scenarios prepared for challenge behavioral questions they ask I would recommend using the STAR approach. The manager was really discombobulated, I was totally lost.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with an employee that is asking for money for a certain product?   Answer Question