American Airlines Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2017

3.2

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

There were two on-campus interviews consisting of mostly technical questions. The first round was almost all technical while the second round was a mix of behavioral and technical. There was also a pre-interview reception that allowed people to meet their interviewer the night before.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was about market sizing of how many people would use different products within American   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

The interviewer asked me introduce myself. Then, the interview become technical questions focused. The interviewer used a pen to write down what I said. It was a bit weird.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, followed by a simple excel test. In person interview was 3 hours long. Questions were read off of a sheet. It felt dragged on since most of the questions were repetitive and not related to finance. Interviews were held in cubicles-extremely odd.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in March 2017.

Interview

It started off with recruiters coming to my university. My process was expedited but the average time for the entire process is 6-8 weeks. There is an Excel based case study that you have 45 mins to complete, and then a phone interview if you were successful and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview started off with "What do you think is the biggest challenge for airlines in general" and then "What do you think is the biggest problem for American" followed by situational pricing questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I first had phone interview where they asked me basic accounting questions about debits/credits and some critical thinking questions. Then I was asked to come into their headquarters in dallas/fort worth where I had a more traditional interview and discussed previous experience.

Interview Questions

• according to you what is the most useful function in excel?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through the company website. I had two phone screen interviews the first of which was a resume walk through and the second of which was more technical accounting questions. The next week I was flown out for an in person interview with three managers in Dallas, these were more casual interviews, mostly behavioral and about my career interests. The HR representative was very helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Go through Debits and Credits
      How does American Airlines give back value to shareholders?
      How would you estimate how many flights fly out of the Orlando airport every day?
      Benefit of a direct flight vs a flight with many layovers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First round phone interview with simple accounting questions about debits and credits for assets, liabilities, SE and a contra asset account followed by some behavioral questions. next round was an in person with some conflict resolution and brain teasers focused on the industry as a whole. Easy process just know your stuff about the industry and simple accounting and your good to go.

Interview Questions

• What is one amenity that you think is most important on a flight?
      We have recently been given 6 slots a day to land in Cuba, should we use all of them.
      How do you brainstorm? in a group or individually?
      What is leadership to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was all technical questions. One phone interview and one in person. Difficult interview, but if you come prepared it isn't hard to nail. Understanding how financial statements work is huge, especially how an airline may use them.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus recruiting. Went to their booth at a career fair, had a phone screen interview two weeks after. A week after that, had a final round, on-campus interview with a manager. Got an offer two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between accrued and deferred expenses?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your past internship experiences, and what's the most important thing you learned?   Answer Question
    • Why is budgeting important?   Answer Question
    • How does a company return capital to its shareholders?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Austin, TX).

Interview

It was on campus recruiting. Half hour interview with behavior and technical questions. The hiring manager has a list of questions to ask about how you know about the company, why airlines, why this position, and why this company. There were several behavior questions and technical questions. The second round was a valuation model that needed to be finished within one hour.