American Airlines Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Airlines Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2017

3.3

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in March 2017.

Interview

It started off with recruiters coming to my university. My process was expedited but the average time for the entire process is 6-8 weeks. There is an Excel based case study that you have 45 mins to complete, and then a phone interview if you were successful and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview started off with "What do you think is the biggest challenge for airlines in general" and then "What do you think is the biggest problem for American" followed by situational pricing questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus recruiting. Went to their booth at a career fair, had a phone screen interview two weeks after. A week after that, had a final round, on-campus interview with a manager. Got an offer two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between accrued and deferred expenses?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your past internship experiences, and what's the most important thing you learned?   Answer Question
    • Why is budgeting important?   Answer Question
    • How does a company return capital to its shareholders?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Austin, TX).

Interview

It was on campus recruiting. Half hour interview with behavior and technical questions. The hiring manager has a list of questions to ask about how you know about the company, why airlines, why this position, and why this company. There were several behavior questions and technical questions. The second round was a valuation model that needed to be finished within one hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Airlines (Ann Arbor, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly they asked my plan after graduation and then asked me whether I need sponsorship or not. And then they gave me three piece of paper with accounting questions on it. Most of the questions were learned in my intermediate accounting class. And then they asked me some personal opinion about the balance sheet and some practical questions about the company and the entire air industry.

Interview Questions

• Recently our company added a new route from Detroit to Shanghai. What accouting information will you look at to determine whether it is a good strategy or not?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

First round was over the phone with very analytical questions such as how to calculate contribution margin and profitability of flights.

Second round was with multiple managers on site rotating for 30 minutes each. Very industry specific questions so if you are not familiar with the airline industry they can be difficult to answer.
    Interview followed a survey/questionnaire format with little room for candidate to ask questions about the day to day activities

Interview Questions

• If you had your own airline how would you decide where to fly from?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

Received screening interview with HR basic questions about your resume. Then invited me to a phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview with the manager was ok. She had a lot of questions and they are really interested on what you know about excel. Also make sure you have scenarios prepared for challenge behavioral questions they ask I would recommend using the STAR approach. The manager was really discombobulated, I was totally lost.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with an employee that is asking for money for a certain product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

First round was a career fair with current analyst.
    Second round is a phone interview with another analyst
    Third round is with 4-5 managers.
    Excel Test.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

Applied online, telephone interview a couple of weeks later. I was then contacted to schedule an in-person interview at headquarters. The in-person interview was about 2 hours with several different people asking behavioral and situational questions. About 2 weeks later, I was sent a case problem to complete and email back. Sometime later, a departmental head contacted me to come in for another in-person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

It was a phone interview rather than an on campus interview. I thought that was odd especially considering the fact that this company is an airline and travel is cheap. Whatever. The phone interview consisted of questions about my background, my leadership experience, my data analysis experience, my finance experience.

I am a career switcher so I also had questions about "why finance", "why the airline industry"

There were also some short case questions.

I was a little surprised at how tough my interviewer was, considering AA's recent financial record. Most MBAs are wary of joining a company with such a poor performance.

Interview Questions

• Why the airline industry?   Answer Question
    • How do you see American Airlines positioned among the top airline carriers in the country?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I first had phone interview where they asked me basic accounting questions about debits/credits and some critical thinking questions. Then I was asked to come into their headquarters in dallas/fort worth where I had a more traditional interview and discussed previous experience.

Interview Questions

• according to you what is the most useful function in excel?   2 Answers