American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.8

672 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online took assessment test online one week later received email for a video interview. Taking my video interview today. Any advice from anyone who has gone through the process?!

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First off I am not sure I would have done as well as I did on the interview if it were not for Glassdoor. It was a great resource for studying and knowing what to expect. I hope I am able to help a few others along the way!

I submitted my application August 14th and received an invitation to do the video interview on August 31st. I had 5 days to complete the interview and I did mine on September 4th. Use those days to prepare! In my video interview I was asked these questions: 1) What excites you most about moving to a new city after training? 2)Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation. 3) Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort. 4) What was your best customer service experience? 5) Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles? You have 1 minute between questions and 3 minutes to respond to each question. For the video interview, be sure to dress just as you would for a face to face interview. Also remember to look at the camera and not yourself (as you will be able to see yourself on the screen during the interview).

On September 27th I received an invitation to schedule my face to face interview, which was on October 7th in Dallas. I arrived about an hour early and sat with others interviewing for the position. I do not think there were any "hidden recruiters" watching us, but it was nice to get to know everyone because you will be spending lots of time with them that day! We were taken into a room with tables set up and 8 chairs were at each table. We had a worksheet to do and a very short writing assignment (nothing scary or intimidating - just common sense). After everyone arrived, we watched a video about American Airlines and then went into the group activity. Each table had to write down 3 things that everyone at the table had in common and then 1 unique thing about each individual. One spokesperson for the group presented it to the room, but everyone did stand up front and say there name. The rest of the room had to guess which characteristic belonged to which person. During the group activity, recruiters were writing notes on their clipboards. We were then split up into different groups for a group interview. All of us were asked the same two questions: 1) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. 2) Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer. Then we each chose a card and were not able to look at it until we were ready to stand up and read the question. Everyone had a different question. I was asked to tell them about my most recent travel experience. After the group interview, we watched a presentation about the job (what they do, hours, pay, benefits, etc.) and then asked any questions if we had them. Then everyone was called out of the room one by one. We were told that they were calling us out to confirm our contact information and that we would find out within two weeks if they wanted us or not. Now I can only speak on my particular experience and I did not talk with anyone else to know what happens if they did not get a job offer. I was called into the room and answered some questions one on one with a recruiter (none of these questions were confirming my contact information by the way). I was then taken to do a reach test, sit in the jump seat, fill out paperwork for a background check, and I was fingerprinted. I received my CJO 5 days later on October 12th!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city after training?   4 Answers
    • Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort.   1 Answer
    • What was your best customer service experience?   5 Answers
    • Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles?   2 Answers
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about your most recent travel experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process really opened my eyes to the world of aviation and transportation. During interview, you were seated at a table of 6-8 people. Get to know these people because they are your future classmates, coworkers, froends and foes. Recruiters are watching and taking notes as they observe how you interact and listen to your peers. Games are played with the intent to observe how well you relate to others and the world in general. Each interview session has a host that will guide you through the interview and answer any questions you have. Once the recruiters have observed you in a big crowd, the will hold smaller interviews with groups of 8 people. If they decide they want you, you will be called, in no particular order, from the big room to have finger prints done and an additional one-on-one interview will be held.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time where you had to take the initiative and how it worked out.   15 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Disclaimer: I am still waiting to hear back for a CJO (Job Offer) or a TBNT (Thanks But No Thanks) letter. However I did make it to the Face-to-Face and did the reach test/was fingerprinted.

Video Interview:
    For the video interview, they will email you saying you have 5 days to complete your interview. This is done through an application (for your computer or phone). An automated voice will ask you a question and you will have to answer within the time limit. If you finish before the time limit, you are able to click the next button, otherwise it continues itself and cuts you off. Take the advice of others on glassdoor, dress similar to a flight attendant. Females: I wore a white shirt with a black blazer and my hair in a bun. Simple with no jewelry. I did a light layer of red lipstick. Males: I hear it's best to be clean shaven, wear a button up, blazer if you feel the need. If you have multiple piercings, keep it to one set (one in each ear) and remove any other ones.

Important: Review questions on here that people got in their Video Interview. I gathered all possible questions here and studied. Every question that I was given in the video interview, I had an answer for because I knew it was coming.

Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5): See Below

Preparing for Face-to-Face Interview:
    Congrats! You've made it. You should get an email stating that you have passed the Video Interview. You may be getting multiple emails so be patient but also don't be afraid to email the Talent Advisor. You will get an email or call; they will be asking for information so they can prepare your flight out. You will get an option between two days out of the week (these dates will be about 2 weeks out from when you receive the email). You can pick whether you want to fly in the same day of your interview or the day before. They will do their best to fly you out same day if that's what you ask. However, if your flight will arrive too close to the interview time then they will ask if they can fly you before (This happened to me). You must pay for your hotel and find transportation to the interview if you choose to go the day before.

ACTUAL Face-To-Face:
    Whew. We are here.
    If your location is the same as mine; your interview will be located at the Training & Conference center. They did not state the building. I asked a security guard and mine was held in the Falcon building. You enter a room, two people will be there to greet you. Someone behind a desk, signing you in (Remember! Bring a passport and ID - or passport receipt and ID) and a beautiful Flight Attendant who will act as the host. You will be asked to sit at the front-most tables that are closest to the screen. There are about 8 people to a table. An opening introduction is made by the host and the recruiters (about 6) come in and introduce themselves.

You will play the game Who's Who? It's really easy and how to play doesn't really matter so I'll skip that. The important thing to note is that the recruiters are walking around and observing you working together. They are taking notes! So just be aware. Then there is a break (about 10 mins) where you can use the restroom and snack on the food provided. Then you will be called by a recruiter for the group interview. They call 8 of you randomly and lead you into a separate room. Another person you haven't seen will be there.

Group Interview: You will be asked about 3 questions.
    -1) Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be a FA?
    -2) When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
    -3) Random Question, drawn from a pile of cards.

Important: They want you to keep it short! Do not ramble. Provide an answer to the question - do your best to circle it back to customer service. Stay composed. This interview process is more based on how you act than the actual questions itself (which are very few).

You will go back to the room for a presentation on salary, benefits, day in the life, etc. They tell you that at a later day you will be finger printed and possibly given a job offer. They will say after the presentation everyone will be called out one-on-one to review resumes and ask a few more questions.

As others have stated, it's a lie that you get fingerprinted on another day. Some went home and others (like myself) were taken to a separate room after the one-on-one to fill out info for a background check, do a reach test and get finger printed.

You will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I went to the F2F on the 3rd and am still waiting to hear back. hope I helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant?   3 Answers
    • --Possible Random Questions:
      ~~~How would you interact with others? What's a quality a FA should have? What was your last travel experience? What does customer service mean to you? Positive role model? What are your hobbies? Last Facebook post? What do you know about AA? What company comes to mind when you think of great customer service? Importance of the uniform?   1 Answer
    • Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5):
      1. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      2. What was your best/worst customer service experience?
      3. What can you bring to the company?
      4. Can you adhere to the no piercing, tattoo, or extreme hair policy?
      5. What is the importance of the uniform?
      6. Tell me about a hard situation you had to adapt to?
      7. What do you forsee the challenges of being a flight attendant?
      8. How did your last job help you prepare to be a flight attendant?
      etc. etc. review glassdoor! :)   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

I applied back in July, after about a week I received my email to do a video interview, the questions were exactly what everyone else has explained.. if you get invited to a face to face the person in your group interview is actually the person who saw your video interview. After a long 3 months I received an email being invited to the face to face interview which I went to on October 18th, 2017. At the face to face we did a group activity with everyone at your table, then went off into group interviews & then individual interviews... nobody found out that day if they moved forward or not. Two days later I received an offer email which I accepted on the same day. I have yet to hear anything else back about when training will be starting or anything but the experience was amazing and everyone at American was amazing!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   11 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I submitted a resume and received an email offering me a video interview to be completed within 5 days. The interview was not with a live person, but was responding to prerecorded questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you have tattoos, piercings or non natural hair color?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

Before reading, please note that this is my experience with the interview and its entire process..

I applied May 15th
    Almost immediately after submitting I received the assessment and completed the same day
    June 8th - Online interview was sent
    Nov 6th - FINALLY I received a phone call from a 919 area code. I didn't answer but he left a VM.
    Nov 9th - F2F Interview

I'm only going to go over the F2F interview..
    I arrived expecting 25-50 people ... NO, there was only 12 of us.
    As we went inside the room, there was a sheet of paper with a question and 5 different answers. You are to list them from most important to least important and then explain why you decided to pick number 1.

Then there is the ice breaker.
    We split 6 and 6.. on a big piece of paper we were to draw a circle and list three things that the group had in common. On the outside of the circle, each one of us were to choose 1 unique thing about ourselves and write it down. Then we chose a spokesperson to present while the others tried to guess who's who.

Then we break off into the group interviews.. Let me say this by far was one of the easiest interviews I EVER attended. 3 questions. 2 of them asked by them and 1 was chosen from a deck of cards..
    BEFORE we began one of the recruiters assured us that NO ONE would know today if they were hired or not.. I thought that he was only saying that to make us feel better but everyone left out at the same time. No fingerprints, no reach test, none of it..

1st question is to be answered in the order that you are seated. I was in the first seat.. hahaha!
    2nd and 3rd question was any order.

Tell me about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant?
    Tell about a time you dealt with a challenging customer and how did you handle it?
    My Card: What was my most valuable customer service skill?
    After that, we went back into the room and watched the introduction slide. AWESOME INFO!!

We were indeed called out for one on ones but everyone was done at the same time and was on the shuttle at the same time.. everyone went through the same exact process.

Overall, there is no need to be nervous. The recruiters were amazing and assured us there was no need to be nervous.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

First you do a assessment that is multiple choice on what kind of person you are and how you would handle certain situations. If you pass that, you do an online video interview with 5 questions. If you get through that, you are invited to a group interview. It is very rushed. You do a small activity with a group where you have a fun fact about yourself and people have to guess which fact belongs to who. Try to be the person who presents, they like to see people taking charge and not being afraid to talk in front of others. After the activity, they do the group interview where you are asked 1) say a little about yourself 2) describe a time at work where a customer wasn't happy, how did you handle the situation 3) this question was randomly picked and you had to stand up to read it and answer it. the question I got was tell us about your most recent travel experience. After the group interview, you are brought back to the room with everyone and go through a power point about American and about working at American. After this you are either walked out or brought to an individual interview (they lie and say there are no individuals taking place). If you don't get the individual, you will receive an email within the next few days saying you didn't get the job. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Describe your self and tell us why you want to be a flight attendant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied on 10/22 for LOD position. Got an invitation for an assessment the next day. Video interview invitation on 10/27. Completed on 10/30. Face to face interview invitation 11/9. I have a face to face interview on 11/15.

Interview Questions

• They ask you to answer a question in the language you applied for.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Hi guys. I am so excited today because I got my CJO from last weeks F2F. I get so much help by reading past posting on Glassdoor and Indeed Forum since I applied this job! IT's super helpful that get things ready from the resources.
    I can totally understand how tough is the waiting when you actually start the application till the minute you get your CJO. SO I WILL SHARE SOME TIPS WITH YOU GUYS who is passionate as me to be a flight attendant !
    TIMELINE;
    phone call for scheduling F2F: 10/4
    Interview at DFW training center: 10/11
    CJO offer received :10/13

About Video Interview:
    1.dress like a flight attendant.
    2. Please do some research about video questions. Prepare your answer for it , recommend to use storytelling method to answer questions. You may need to really think about why you want to be a flight attendant, with WHY+Personal background+why you want to go with AA
    3.Smile and being polite, answering with confidence face. try to have one point that really attract their attention.

F2F
    -Dress exactly like a flight attendant. suit, black tight, blue scarf ( I personal think if you can wear a scarf that will be a great bonus that you may looking professional and prepared. When onsite , I wore one scarf, meanwhile I noticed barely people wear it, so I think it will be a bonus showing to recruiter that I really prepared.good sign.
    -Interview Process
    1.Teamwork. It's a fun game . really take it easy. I recommend to sit on the tables close to the front ( where the host is presenting PPT). Recruiters are around to observing at this moment. Please show them that you are active, love to participant with table mates. when there's a short time to do the group presentation, please speak with smile face, confidence , clear words and straight standing post)
    2. Group interview. This is a time you have to keep in mind. You will be reviewed and observed by 2 recruiters in a panel. Their judgement will 80% to 100% to decide if you will go for the final 1on1 talk. Trust me! Because I see that they already decide to have you selected or not after the group panel. SO NOW. It's your time to show your professions about customer service and your motivation for them to decide if you can handle this FA position. PLEASE make your answer CLEAR, TARGET, AND SIMPLE BUT WITH A THESIS. This is how i made my answer.There's a girl she is trying to say she has tons of customer service across different fields and years. However this is really meaningless to me when you try to tell recruiters you have working for years but no focus. SO don't to demonstrate that you have tons of customer service and skills without any specific focus. QUESTION for you in this panel interview is : YOU really need to think about an answer that let them remember you but don't be so exaggerate. OR your demonstrate your attitude for serving people and how you can be flexible if you are a FA. do story telling is a good way.
    3. After the panel, when people were calling out for sending to shuttle or another 1on1 . There is a sign that i summarize. if the person calling you out is the recruiter who didn't show up in the former interview process. THEN you have 99% to go for 1on1 and get the CJO. IF you get send to shuttle directly, then you lost.

I hope my experience help everyone who are still in the game.
    Please always be prepared, confinement ,plus. really think and oral practice WHY YOU WANT TO BE A FA WITH AA.
    Offers for those who got prepared! You got this, if not this time ,next time then.

Interview Questions

• tell us a situation you have a challenging customer   2 Answers