American Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,339 Interview Reviews

2.8

1,339 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online took assessment test online one week later received email for a video interview. Taking my video interview today. Any advice from anyone who has gone through the process?!

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First off I am not sure I would have done as well as I did on the interview if it were not for Glassdoor. It was a great resource for studying and knowing what to expect. I hope I am able to help a few others along the way!

I submitted my application August 14th and received an invitation to do the video interview on August 31st. I had 5 days to complete the interview and I did mine on September 4th. Use those days to prepare! In my video interview I was asked these questions: 1) What excites you most about moving to a new city after training? 2)Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation. 3) Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort. 4) What was your best customer service experience? 5) Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles? You have 1 minute between questions and 3 minutes to respond to each question. For the video interview, be sure to dress just as you would for a face to face interview. Also remember to look at the camera and not yourself (as you will be able to see yourself on the screen during the interview).

On September 27th I received an invitation to schedule my face to face interview, which was on October 7th in Dallas. I arrived about an hour early and sat with others interviewing for the position. I do not think there were any "hidden recruiters" watching us, but it was nice to get to know everyone because you will be spending lots of time with them that day! We were taken into a room with tables set up and 8 chairs were at each table. We had a worksheet to do and a very short writing assignment (nothing scary or intimidating - just common sense). After everyone arrived, we watched a video about American Airlines and then went into the group activity. Each table had to write down 3 things that everyone at the table had in common and then 1 unique thing about each individual. One spokesperson for the group presented it to the room, but everyone did stand up front and say there name. The rest of the room had to guess which characteristic belonged to which person. During the group activity, recruiters were writing notes on their clipboards. We were then split up into different groups for a group interview. All of us were asked the same two questions: 1) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. 2) Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer. Then we each chose a card and were not able to look at it until we were ready to stand up and read the question. Everyone had a different question. I was asked to tell them about my most recent travel experience. After the group interview, we watched a presentation about the job (what they do, hours, pay, benefits, etc.) and then asked any questions if we had them. Then everyone was called out of the room one by one. We were told that they were calling us out to confirm our contact information and that we would find out within two weeks if they wanted us or not. Now I can only speak on my particular experience and I did not talk with anyone else to know what happens if they did not get a job offer. I was called into the room and answered some questions one on one with a recruiter (none of these questions were confirming my contact information by the way). I was then taken to do a reach test, sit in the jump seat, fill out paperwork for a background check, and I was fingerprinted. I received my CJO 5 days later on October 12th!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city after training?   3 Answers
    • Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort.   1 Answer
    • What was your best customer service experience?   3 Answers
    • Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your most recent travel experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process really opened my eyes to the world of aviation and transportation. During interview, you were seated at a table of 6-8 people. Get to know these people because they are your future classmates, coworkers, froends and foes. Recruiters are watching and taking notes as they observe how you interact and listen to your peers. Games are played with the intent to observe how well you relate to others and the world in general. Each interview session has a host that will guide you through the interview and answer any questions you have. Once the recruiters have observed you in a big crowd, the will hold smaller interviews with groups of 8 people. If they decide they want you, you will be called, in no particular order, from the big room to have finger prints done and an additional one-on-one interview will be held.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time where you had to take the initiative and how it worked out.   13 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Disclaimer: I am still waiting to hear back for a CJO (Job Offer) or a TBNT (Thanks But No Thanks) letter. However I did make it to the Face-to-Face and did the reach test/was fingerprinted.

Video Interview:
    For the video interview, they will email you saying you have 5 days to complete your interview. This is done through an application (for your computer or phone). An automated voice will ask you a question and you will have to answer within the time limit. If you finish before the time limit, you are able to click the next button, otherwise it continues itself and cuts you off. Take the advice of others on glassdoor, dress similar to a flight attendant. Females: I wore a white shirt with a black blazer and my hair in a bun. Simple with no jewelry. I did a light layer of red lipstick. Males: I hear it's best to be clean shaven, wear a button up, blazer if you feel the need. If you have multiple piercings, keep it to one set (one in each ear) and remove any other ones.

Important: Review questions on here that people got in their Video Interview. I gathered all possible questions here and studied. Every question that I was given in the video interview, I had an answer for because I knew it was coming.

Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5): See Below

Preparing for Face-to-Face Interview:
    Congrats! You've made it. You should get an email stating that you have passed the Video Interview. You may be getting multiple emails so be patient but also don't be afraid to email the Talent Advisor. You will get an email or call; they will be asking for information so they can prepare your flight out. You will get an option between two days out of the week (these dates will be about 2 weeks out from when you receive the email). You can pick whether you want to fly in the same day of your interview or the day before. They will do their best to fly you out same day if that's what you ask. However, if your flight will arrive too close to the interview time then they will ask if they can fly you before (This happened to me). You must pay for your hotel and find transportation to the interview if you choose to go the day before.

ACTUAL Face-To-Face:
    Whew. We are here.
    If your location is the same as mine; your interview will be located at the Training & Conference center. They did not state the building. I asked a security guard and mine was held in the Falcon building. You enter a room, two people will be there to greet you. Someone behind a desk, signing you in (Remember! Bring a passport and ID - or passport receipt and ID) and a beautiful Flight Attendant who will act as the host. You will be asked to sit at the front-most tables that are closest to the screen. There are about 8 people to a table. An opening introduction is made by the host and the recruiters (about 6) come in and introduce themselves.

You will play the game Who's Who? It's really easy and how to play doesn't really matter so I'll skip that. The important thing to note is that the recruiters are walking around and observing you working together. They are taking notes! So just be aware. Then there is a break (about 10 mins) where you can use the restroom and snack on the food provided. Then you will be called by a recruiter for the group interview. They call 8 of you randomly and lead you into a separate room. Another person you haven't seen will be there.

Group Interview: You will be asked about 3 questions.
    -1) Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be a FA?
    -2) When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
    -3) Random Question, drawn from a pile of cards.

Important: They want you to keep it short! Do not ramble. Provide an answer to the question - do your best to circle it back to customer service. Stay composed. This interview process is more based on how you act than the actual questions itself (which are very few).

You will go back to the room for a presentation on salary, benefits, day in the life, etc. They tell you that at a later day you will be finger printed and possibly given a job offer. They will say after the presentation everyone will be called out one-on-one to review resumes and ask a few more questions.

As others have stated, it's a lie that you get fingerprinted on another day. Some went home and others (like myself) were taken to a separate room after the one-on-one to fill out info for a background check, do a reach test and get finger printed.

You will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I went to the F2F on the 3rd and am still waiting to hear back. hope I helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant?   3 Answers
    • --Possible Random Questions:
      ~~~How would you interact with others? What's a quality a FA should have? What was your last travel experience? What does customer service mean to you? Positive role model? What are your hobbies? Last Facebook post? What do you know about AA? What company comes to mind when you think of great customer service? Importance of the uniform?   1 Answer
    • Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5):
      1. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      2. What was your best/worst customer service experience?
      3. What can you bring to the company?
      4. Can you adhere to the no piercing, tattoo, or extreme hair policy?
      5. What is the importance of the uniform?
      6. Tell me about a hard situation you had to adapt to?
      7. What do you forsee the challenges of being a flight attendant?
      8. How did your last job help you prepare to be a flight attendant?
      etc. etc. review glassdoor! :)   1 Answer

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I needed to share a review, but I am only at the very beginning of the process. I applied on 05/16, got an assessment to do a few hours later and now, I'm waiting to see if I passed it to do the video interview.

Is there anyone that could share a timeline? I've seen many posts but I was wondering if there's anyone else that just applied too! Thank you!

Interview Questions

• It was mainly situationals and behavioral questions.   121 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

This is the 4th airline I am applying for and it was been the easiest video interview, but also the longest wait time between applying and getting an email for a video interview. I only just finished the interview today so I have not been called for a face to face yet, but Im hoping!

I first applied for American Airlines through the website on May 16th, got an email to complete the assessment the next day, and was invited to the video interview about 18 days after applying, on June 3rd.

I was hired by United back in September, before they realized I wouldn't be turning 21 for another 6 months. I also went to a face to face interview for jetBlue and almost got the job, and did a video and phone interview with Virgin America, so by the time I did the interview with American I felt pretty seasoned and prepared. That being said, I thought the video interview was relatively easy. To prepare I skimmed a few pages of the interviews here on Glassdoor and I wrote out each question that people said they had been asked, on a document on my computer. I wound up with around 19 questions, and I typed out all of my answers just to make sure I'd have something to say.
    On top of knowing what you're going to say, I DEFINITELY recommend researching the company a lot (all of this studying helps helps with the face to face if you get it as well). Know how long the company has been around, important achievements, hubs, fleet size, number of destinations, values, etc. If you know all of this it will be easy to casually throw a few facts into each of your questions so that they know you are serious about the career and you researched it. I have also been watching every flight attendant video I could find online for years, so make sure you watch flight attendant vloggers or tips on youtube if you're not sure exactly what they looking for or how you should act.

Another tip is to dress as if you are already a flight attendant. It's okay if you can't afford a $100 blazer, or if you don't have access to a dress suit yet, but make sure you at least wear a very dressy shirt with minimal accessories, neat pulled back hair, and only one piercing in each ear (no visible tattoos or colored nail polish!!) If you do have your "uniform" already (this should include a white button up shirt, black blazer, black pencil skirt, etc. if you are a girl- this is similar to what you should wear at a face to face interview and what you would wear on the job) then definitely wear it!! If you are a girl red lipstick is always a plus too. No crazy makeup, as long as your complexion looks clear enough and your hair is neat.

The video interview itself consists of six pretty straightforward questions, and each time you can read along and there is also a man's voice reading the question out loud twice. Then you'll have 60 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to record your response. You'll also have the opportunity to test the video and sound, so don't worry!

Anyway, I have not yet gone to the face to face but will definitely try to review that as well after I go. (Confidence is key, so tell yourself you'll get it!!)

Good luck to everyone and if you don't get it on your first try don't worry! I got my first airline only to get it taken away for being too young, then I didn't get my next two airlines, and now this is my 4th and hopefully i'll get it! Just be patient and learn from your mistakes.

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city?   Answer Question
    • Can you adhere to the policy of no tattoos/piercings?   Answer Question
    • Explain your previous work experience and how it prepares you for being a flight attendant.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you dealt with a customer who was upset.   Answer Question
    • Name a memorable time you experienced good customer service.   1 Answer
    • Why American Airlines?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

The application for the position opened on May 15 and I submitted my application on 5/22. Within 2 hours I received the online assessment which I filled out and submitted the next morning. 2 weeks later on June 5 I received the invitation for the video interview which I completed this morning (6/9). The process was fairly simply but I also prepared ahead of time - the questions that I found here on glassdoor were predictive of the questions that they were going to ask. Now I'm waiting to hear whether or not I get a face to face which I've read can take anywhere from 2-3 months.

For the interview I made sure I looked like a flight attendant (white shirt, black blazer, red lipstick, hair pulled back) which I've heard is very important.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to apply for the position of flight attendant with American Airlines.   Answer Question
    • How has your recent work experience helped to prepare you for a career as a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a memorable customer service experience.   Answer Question
    • How have you dealt with a customer that was upset?   Answer Question
    • What excited you about the possibility of moving to a new city after training?   Answer Question
    • Can you adhere to the policy on tattoos (cannot be visible), facial , second , and upper ear piercings   2 Answers

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

After about a month of being in the application process I have received my F2F! So excited! It is on July 26th in Dallas Texas! It is a fly in and fly out interview. Does anybody else have this interview date too?! Would love to chat about it if so!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city?   5 Answers

Interview

Applied around May and got an email a day later filling out a survey. Ended up doing the video interview 5 days later. Now its 6/12/17 and they called to come to their HQ for a f2f interview! So excited!

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with not having any body tattoos or out of the ordinary hair color/style as well as body piercings.   29 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I applied online for the bilingual trainee flight attendant position around May 18th 2017 and received the online assessment the following day and the video interview invitation about 4 days after applying.
    Still waiting on the results but I'll have to mark "no" for the job offer question as Glassdoor doesn't understand that I just want to submit the questions of the video interview, not the whole process at this point.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you received a memorable customer service   2 Answers
    • Can you adhere to the dress code policy regarding tattoos, piercings?   2 Answers
    • What will be the most exciting part about moving to a new city right after training?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your recent work history and customer service experience and how it can help to be a flight attendant for AA   Answer Question