American Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2018
1,564 Interview Reviews

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

I applied back at the end of November and was invited to interview in December 20, 2017. I studied the questions online to know what to expect and practiced over and over again. I thought the interview went well but then was sent a email TBNT. I did have a nose piercing but had clear retainer in for interview. I am wondering how that works if your culture and religious beliefs make it where you will never qualify for a flight attendant because it goes against their policy? There is no way to even discuss this with them as it is a VI so how do you go any further? Just wondering if someone witb a little insight from AA can answer the question so I know not to even continue in the future if it will never be excepted? I work as a nurse and all I had to do was give information regarding my beliefs and I was able to wear at work so just wondering if the same thing applies?

Interview Questions

• American Airlines has a strict no visible tattoos/piercing policy....are you able to adhere to the policy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (San Diego, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online with American Airlines and completed the personality assessment. I was notified that there were many applicants so it would take a lot of time to process the application and hear back. About 4 weeks later, I received the invite to complete the online interview. This is a one-way interview where they ask you 6 questions and you record your answers. They ask the question twice, give you one minute to prepare your answer, then you hit record and you have three minutes to answer. The questions were fairly straight forward but you have to really show your passion! Express your enthusiasm and desire to be a part of this program. I completed this video interview about 5 days ago and have yet to hear back about the F2F. I will update as I hear back!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you have dealt with a difficult customer and the steps you took to resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

Submitted application online on December 27th,
    Online Assessment December 28th
    VI Email January 12th
    VI Completed January 16th

Waiting on a ftf offer hopefully!! Glassdoor was an absolute life savor, study the interview questions on here as well as YouTube videos on how to complete a successful video interview. No as hard as I thought, don't stress too much.

Interview Questions

• 1. Name a time you received great customer service
      2. Tell me about a time you had to help a customer who was upset
      3. What excites you about moving to a new city after training?
      4. What drew you to apply to American Airlines as a flight attendant?
      5. Walk me through your recent work experience and tell me how it prepared you to pursue a career as a flight attendant
      6. Can you adhere to the no tattoos, multiple piercing and colored hair policy?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines in January 2017.

Interview

I applied back in October 2017 and received an email about completing a video interview in January of 2018. I was given five days to complete the interview. I am now waiting for the next step in the process

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about relocating immediately following training?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

My whole process only took about one and a half months. I applied the first week of December, got the email for video interview one week after that, got the email for face to face one week after that. Got the email to attend a face to face on December 7th and Had my face to face on January 11th. I received a CJO on the spot on January 11th. YAY! The entire interview process was pretty easy, so it seemed. The first part of the interview you are all in one room with the rest of the people interviewing, make sure you chat it up with a few people prior to going in to the room because it makes you all feel more comfortable when you are sitting in there talking. There will be a flight attendant in the room with you to give you a presentation about the CEO and what not. So, the first part of the interview is an ice breaker called "who's who" during this you and your group will draw a big circle on one piece of paper with three lines inside of it on those three lines your group will discuss and find three things you all have in common. On the outside of that circle you will all write one thing that only you know about yourself. After this the groups will get up in front of the room and present it to the rest of the candidates. Make sure you are on your toes because the scouts are judging you the entire time, during the discussion of the "who's who" and actually from the time you walked in that room. So after you present the rest of the groups will have to discuss among their tables to try and guess which fact belongs to which person. A little hint, try to make your fact something related to flight attendant. For Instance, I wrote "I am studying to be a nurse" some people wrote "I have two dogs" or "I like cars" that's not bad but I think it helps. Moving on, the next part of the interview they call out groups of 7-9 (depending on the amount of candidates) to go to another room. Once you're in this room they are going to ask you three questions. Two questions are the same for everyone, and the last question is completely random. The last question is on a little flash card and you can't look at it until it is your turn to go. Now while you are in this part of the interview it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you follow the directions they are telling you. Like for instance, the scouts will tell you EXACTLY how to present your answers, what I mean is they will tell you "keep your answer under 30 seconds" or "don't take too long" Some people were giving these suuuuper long drawn out answers and they don't like that AT ALL. they have to try and write down things you are saying quickly, as they have 8 other people to listen to. This is where a lot of people blew it. Another thing they might tell you is "stand up, state your name, state your question number, and give your answer." I literally almost forgot to stand up and probably would have messed it all up. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, this is your last chance to shine! After this group interview concludes they will walk you back to the same room everyone started in, allowing you the chance to get snacks and use the restroom as well. During this time you will get another presentation from the flight attendant they have there and will get to ask the flight attendant any questions you have about the experience or just anything you want to ask. While this is taking place the scouts are in another room pretty much deciding who they are going to hire. After they are done with that, then they will start calling everyone out of the room one by one. They tell you that they are just going to confirm contact information and be in contact within two weeks, however right now they are so busy that they are hiring on the spot. So, they walk you out one by one and what they are actually doing is either walking you back to the shuttle to leave, or walking you to another room to do a one on one interview. If you make it to the one on one interview then that pretty much means you made it, just answer all of the questions they ask you honestly. Like if you have tattoos, they don't care about tattoos as long as they can be covered, but they will ask and it's best just to let them know "I have tattoos, but none of them are in places where they can't be covered ." After this, they will give you a paper to make sure your reading voice is up to par for announcements on the air craft. You will take your drug test, you will get finger printed, you will do the reach test (super easy) on the spot. So be ready! I hope my experience helped you in some way, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I will make a Facebook page named "AA Trainee Interview Questions"

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant with AA   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you experienced a difficult customer   1 Answer
    • What qualities do you think our customers like best in a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Why are uniforms important?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you received great service   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port of Spain, Saint George (Trinidad and Tobago)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Airlines (Port of Spain, Saint George (Trinidad and Tobago)) in November 2016.

Interview

I went through the first interview which was short. Basically to get a view of me and to know if they'd like to proceed with the interview process. I think because i am still a student, they were hesitant in hiring me. You are required to travel for this position which is a good oportunity.

Interview Questions

• They were concerned about me attending school and working at the same time.   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

During the video interview I was unable to retake the second question and I screwed up MASSIVELY and didn’t sweat it because I thought I could go back and re-record the answer. I couldn’t and it sent my answers! :( does anyone know wether they legit watch every single answer on the video interviews or maybe just watch first answer and say yes or no?

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

First things first: Relax. There's no need to be nervous as long as you've prepared.

I applied online and received an invite to do the video interview about a month later. Now, I had previously done it with another airlines company, so I didn't feel as anxious and finished quickly. It's important to look the part. Girls, wear your hair up in a donut bun, minimal makeup, and red lipstick. I wore a black dress with a black blazer and a pair of pearl earrings.

Ten days later, I received an invite to the F2F interview in Dallas/Ft.Worth. Make sure to keep in contact with your recruiter. They're very helpful, accommodating, and will answer any questions you have.

Same thing as the VI, make sure you dress the part. This time, with a complete look. Wear nude nylons if you can with a pair of black short heels. Wear a watch. Everyone at this interview dressed very professional, very business like.

I arrived at the interview two minutes before it started. Luckily, they were still checking everyone in. You'll be seated at a table with seven others. I think there were 32 people at this afternoon interview session. Bring your passport and updated resume! That is how they will check you in.

Once everyone was checked in, we did an ice-breaker called "Who's Who." The recruiters will be walking around to see how everyone works as a team. Your table group will have to go up in front of others and present, speaking one by one. It's actually a really fun game. Don't be nervous, really. Everyone's nice. All the recruiters are nice. They've been in your shoes before, so they do their best to make you feel comfortable.

There was an intermission before the video/ppt presentation. The presentation is a brief explanation of the company, job description, bases, benefits, etc. If you have questions, you can ask the presenter. Personally, I didn't ask any.

After the video/ppt presentation and Q&A's, a recruiter will call in names for the group interview. The group interview will also have about seven to eight people. There are two recruiters, with one asking the questions. I have listed the first two questions down below. The first question was to be answered in the order from left to right. I was in the hot seat and had to answer first. The second question was answered in any order. I decided to go last. For the third question, we were each given a card. We couldn't look at the card till it was your turn to answer. There's no specific order, so I went second to last. You don't have to go too in depth with your answers. Keep it brief and think about the others that have to answer too. My last question was about the company and I answered in one sentence. Research about the company! This is very important. If you don't have much time to study, look at the inflight magazine on your way to the interview. It'll help! One thing I want to discuss is that for the second and third question, I don't think it matters when you go. I don't think the recruiters will put into consideration when you answered. It's your answer that counts.

We were taken back to the conference room and since we were the first one back, we were able to take a quick break. They have tons of refreshments! There's a lot of wait time and you're able to get a drink, grab a snack, or use the restroom. Make sure you ask one of the recruiters if it's not a designated intermission. I asked to get more water each time I left the room to be polite and to let them know that I'm out of the room in case a recruiter was looking for me.

They tell you during the presentation that a recruiter will call us one by one to go over your contact information as the final step. This is the time where you will either get sent to the shuttle to go back to the airport OR you'll have a one-on-one. If you end up getting the one-on-one, again, RELAX. They will go over your information and ask you several question. The recruiter is also very personable. I was caught off guard when the recruiter extended me the CJO. The same recruiter will guide you to a room to do the reach test, sit in a jump seat, finger printing, and urine test.

The most important tip is relax. Be yourself! Be friendly, open, and respectful.

For those who received a TBNT, don't be discouraged. I applied to two other mainline airline companies. I sent in the same resume and cover letter to all and received a TBNT. The first company I applied to, I went as far as the F2F and received a TBNT two weeks later. The second company, I applied and received a TBNT without doing the VI. If you did go to the F2F and got a TBNT, take it as a positive experience because now you know what to expect. Keep your head up and don't lose sight!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you want to become an American Airlines Flight Attendant (group)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with an irate customer (group)   Answer Question
    • Do you have tattoos or piercings? (one-on-one)   Answer Question
    • Do you speak another language (one-on-one)   Answer Question
    • What are some important skills a flight attendant should possess? (one-on-one)   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines in October 2017.

Interview

It was not that hard because I had prepared. Nevertheless, I did not get the offer even though I felt prepared. That is ok. There will be a next time with better luck.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I applied for bilingual flight attendant back in November some time and did an assessment test probably with a few days. Definitely within that week. Didn't get another response until January 9th to do my video interview. It says you have up to 5 days to complete and it's nice because they keep emailing you reminders to do it. I looked on Glassdoor and I found probably all the questions on here but I found some answers on other airlines FA interview questions not just for AA. I had to do the interview on my phone because my computer wasn't really taking the program correctly. On this app I didn't see any test questions opportunities only to test camera and sound. Once you hit start now it starts explaining how it will ask a question twice and then you get 1 minute to prepare. Something I forgot and wasn't completely unprepared for was to ANSWER IN THE OTHER LANGUAGE YOU MENTIONED YOU KNOW!!! I had seen it mentioned before but I forgot to practice that part. I was asked a total of 8 questions. On my 7th question it said to respond the next two question in the other language I was applying for. 6 questions out of 8 were answered in English and last two were in the other language I noted I speak fluently. I got an email saying it was submitted and now back to the waiting game. CJOs here we come!

Interview Questions

• What drew you to apply to American Airlines as a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your recent work experience and tell me how it has prepared you to peruse your career as a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you received memorable customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to help a customer who was upset   Answer Question
    • AA has several FA crew bases throughout the US. What excites you about the possibility of relocating to a new city immediately following training?   Answer Question
    • FAs should always present a professional image. You may not have tattoos, facial, multiple or upper ear piercings or extreme hair color or style. Are you able to adhere to this policy of selected? (Not just a yes or no answer it still required video response)   Answer Question
    • (Answer in language you noted you speak fluently if applying for multilingual position)
      Share with us a time you needed to use your language to assist in a customer service situation.   Answer Question
      Please tell me one of your most difficult team experiences and what you learned from it.   Answer Question