American Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017
1,417 Interview Reviews

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I first applied for American on around May 16th, 2017. It's my 4th or 5th time applying for a flight attendant job and I used all of my past experiences as well as interview questions that were specific to American from Glassdoor, plus some youtube videos and online articles. The flight attendant position is not an easy one to get and it was clear to see who in the group had prepared for what the career entails and who hadn't. If you are not passionate, and if you haven't done your research on the career and on the specific company, you won't get it. I posted a review on here a while ago but it was unfinished and through another account I think, but I'll quickly sum up the steps in the interview process. The first step is actually applying for the job. I went through their website online- make sure to have a good resume for a flight attendant (customer service experiences especially- anything about safety is also a plus). The next day I got a link to the online assessment- just a quick test with a few personality questions and situational questions. I didn't receive my invitation for a video interview until June 1st- over 2 weeks after initially applying. I don't remember all of the questions anymore, but generally they ask about customer service experience, why the flight attendant career is right for you, why American, plus if you're able to adhere to the no tattoo policy, etc. The customer service/diversity aspects are the most important things to American so if you want to be prepared, just think of every possible costumer service story- your best and worst qualities, how you treat difficult customers, how to give someone a good experience, etc. For the video interview, dress as if you are going to a face to face. (Business attire- dress like you are already a flight attendant- red lipstick for ladies- neutral colored nail polish- neat hair- etc.) Have a very professional background, I had a world map on the wall behind me in my room. There were about 6 questions and you look at your face on the screen as you can read along with the questions as they come up- they are read out loud by a voice as well. You have I think maybe 30 seconds-a minute to read each question and prepare, and then something like 3 minutes to record each answer. It's nerve wracking at first but everyone who I've talked to at face to face interview felt their video interview was awful- but it got them through. As long as you look professional and give good enough answers you should make it. I felt it was my best video interview yet (the 4th one I had done) and so I was surprised when I wasn't responded to for 2 months. I got a phonemail from an unknown number on probably July 28th, and it was a man inviting me to a face to face interview on August 15th in Dallas. Living in New York, I would have to fly to Dallas. The flight itinerary and face to face details emails were sent to me a little over a week later and the flights were paid for and everything. The interview itself was 12:30-4:30 but for me the day started at 3am getting up to get ready for the airport, and ended at almost midnight when my flight finally landed. The face to face is a long day, consists of a few presentations and group activities and interviews. It's all very simple and common sense if you actually study and prepare by knowing about what they're looking for. There were maybe 50 people there and it seemed like there were a good amount of us who got a final short face to face interview at the end with a reach test, sitting in the jump seat and copying the passport- but there were also a good amount who didn't do any of that. I hear it's a good sign to do a reach test and all that, and it seems like it would be, so I'm hoping I'll get a CJO before this weekend! They say they'll let you know within 2 weeks, I really hope it's within 2 days!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Name your most valuable customer service skill   1 Answer
    • Why American Airlines, and not any other airline?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

The interview process is really a waiting game. I applied on May 17th. I was offered a video interview on June 15th and completed it on June 19th. I have not heard anything yet about a ftf but my application status is still in progress. You have to be patient throughout the process. The video interview is only 5 questions. Make sure you have a stable internet connection and a plain background. Dress the part of a flight attendant (white blouse, black blazer, red lips, and low bun) and do your research on the company. The questions can be found on several posts from glass door. I also watched several Youtube videos on video interviews. I am saying yes I was made an offer because I want to continue to remain positive.

Interview Questions

• 1. What excites you most about moving to a new city?
      2. Most memorable customer service experience.
      3. Are you able to adhere to policies about tattoos, piercings, and hair?
      4. Why do you want to be a flight attendant with American Airlines?
      5. I can't remember the fifth question but it was listed on glassdoor   3 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Two interviewers simultaneously interviewed 6 potential candidates. Each question was asked of the interviewees and individually answered. Making it more challenging for the 1st interviewee while the others listened to the answer and pondered their own response.

Interview Questions

Interview

There is a group phone interview. A week after the phone interview you will then have a group interview. Once you have been selected you receive an email as well as a phone call.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Application

Interview

I submitted my application around May 18th. I received an email on June 14th and was invited to move to the next step and complete the video interview. Yesterday, August 18, I received a phone call from a recruiter who advised I passed the video interview and was invited to a face to face interview next week.

Interview Questions

• Describe your last travel experience.   8 Answers

Trainee Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

Interview

First, let me tell you. The interview process is smooth. So relax and take a deep breath.
    Now that you've taken a deep breath, I will tell you more.

So, basically how it works is:

1) You submit an online application when the window opens for the Flight Attendant position. Typically the window to apply opens 2-5 times a year. (This all depends on operational need to fill the position, by the way.) From there, you will create a profile and this is what you will use to check on your application as well as the e-mail address you use when you apply. Whether you apply for English speaker or a language position you will do the interview with everyone. It is all the same position. You will get tested for your language skills if you are offered the position. Anyway, you will upload your resumé and cover letter to the website and fill out a little bit of information, like where you want to be based and you better put anywhere.... because sorry to tell you that you go where they need you to be based. You should also put that you're willing to travel 100% of the time, Understand before applying that this position requires you to work nights, weekends and holidays.

2) If the recruiters or "computer" like your resumé and cover letter, they will send you an assessment. It can take anywhere from 2 hours to 3 months to get this assessment. Basically, it is a test to see your personality and what you do in certain situations. Just be honest and don't take too long to answer.

3) Video interview is next, again this is contingent if you pass the personality and what would you do in this scenario test. This can take anywhere from a day to months to get too, so just keep checking your e-mail. They only give you 3-5 days to complete it. You can literally study the questions for the interview on Glassdoor. If you find yourself stressing out for your own interview then sorry to say but you've done that to yourself. Study, study, study.... prepare, prepare, prepare. Practice recording your answers and watch them, review them and make your answers better. Please don't say you love to travel. You have three minutes to answer each question. Just make sure you will answer what they ask you and do not ramble on. Answer the question, smile, smile, smile. Make sure you look into the camera and not at yourself. Again, I can't stress enough. Follow directions and answer what they are asking you.

4) F2F Face to face interview is next. So if you passed the video interview you should either get a call or e-mail from Talent Acquisition. The recruiters will help you get a date and a flight itinerary. Typically you will fly in the same day for your interview. Just prepare yourself for a long day. The interview takes 1-5 hours. You will get to the training center and wait in the lobby until the recruiters come to get you. If you see other candidates there talk to them and make friends. It makes the day much easier to get through. Anyway, once you get called in by the recruiters you will all go into a room where there are about 5-6 tables. You will sit there with 5-6 people at a table. The host will go over some stuff about AA and then you will all do a group activity together. Recruiters will come in and watch how you interact. You play a fun game called Who's Who? After all that theres a little break, and you get separated to do a group interview. There are about 4-6 people in the group interview and you will do that in a separate room. Then you will come back to the original room and they will do a presentation on the company and what it's like to work with American. At the end of the presentation you will have an opportunity to ask any questions to the host. From there the recruiters will call you out one by one. You may or may not get a one on one interview. Sometimes they hire on the spot and other times they do not. If you get called for the one on one you may do a few tests after to see if you fit in the jump seat and if you can reach the fire extinguisher in the overhead bin. They may or may not take a copy of your passport, take your finger prints, drug test etc. I think it just depends on time if they do it all in one day. I have had some friends get the job offer the same day and others get it 2-3 weeks after so don't worry.

** Make sure you have a passport, or proof that you've applied for one **
    ** Don't be too pushy **
    ** Be respectful and humble, shine when it is your turn **
    ** Speak clearly **

Just to give you an idea my timeline was

Initial application May 2017
    Assessment June 2017
    Video Interview July 2017
    F2F August 2017
    CJO September 2017

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant for American Airlines?   Answer Question
    • What excites you most about moving to a new city?   Answer Question
    • If you could sit next to anyone on a flight for 12 hours who would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent travel experience.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

Took the assessment on June 14th . Received video interview July 28th. Took interview 5 days later and still waiting to hear back! Put I accepted because when they call me for a face to face I'll accept! Speak it into existence!!!!

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

Applied online in early June 2017. Took an online assessment 6/18/17. Invited to continue the process with a video interview on 8/4/17. Still waiting to hear back on the video interview. Questions were not difficult - there were 5 or 6 of them. In the video interview, the question appears and is read to you, then you have like 60 seconds (if I'm rembering correctly) to think of what you will say then it begins recording you. You click stop once you complete your response and it moves on to the next question. Video interview is not with a live person. Dress professioanly and have an appropriate background!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant for American Airlines?   Answer Question
    • Describe a memorable customer service experience.   Answer Question
    • How has your past experience prepared you for this job?   Answer Question
    • Are you able to meet appearance standards (no crazy hair or visibile tattoo)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY).

Interview

Exact questions mentioned here. Study these forums and you'll be fine. Don't think I have an offer as I was not fingerprinted or drug tested but the process was listed here. Very helpful.

Interview Questions

• What do you think our customers value in a flight attendant?   Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

After about a month of being in the application process I have received my F2F! So excited! It is on July 26th in Dallas Texas! It is a fly in and fly out interview. Does anybody else have this interview date too?! Would love to chat about it if so!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city?   6 Answers