American Airlines Revenue Management Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Airlines Revenue Management Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2017

2.9

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was an Excel case study sent by email with a time frame of 45 mins to send back completed. Didn't do too well, but got called a week later for a 2nd interview via phone for 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Why American?   Answer Question
  • You are in a garage sale, you're selling your TV for 100 and your neighbor is selling the exact same TV for 50, what should you do?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for American Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The process took six weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in February 2017. 1st step was a case study, next a phone screen, then in person. The in-person consisted of 3 45min one on one interviews. They asked a few brain teasers, alot of airline/revenue management related questions. They also asked a few questions to see your thought process. If your preparing for an interview with them know why you want to work with American and about revenue management. I would also look at other interviews from different airlines, because the questions are very similar.

Also, don't get discouraged if you don't get hired by an Airline for Revenue Management. Keep trying it's very competitive and took me 6 months to get an offer. Good Luck

Interview Questions

• Sell me your pen.

Tell me a time you did something for someone and you didn't expect anything in return.

Why American?

If you were CEO of American how would you improve American Airlines day 1?
      20 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

positive interview. 3 back to back interviews. Each 30-40 min. One Director and two managers. many small cases question and behavior questions. People are very friendly and kind. A pricing case I remember. And review your econ before this interview. There are demand and supply analysis in this interview. Just be relaxed and well prepared. Check the AA website carefully and know the reason why you choose revenue management and american airline

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I visited American at my University's career fair and dropped my resume then applied online. I was contacted a few weeks later to schedule an initial 20-30 minute phone screen. I was asked basic questions (What I knew about American, what surprised me the most about American, how they differ from competitors, what I know about the airline industry, and challenges it faces along with specific challenges American faces, and some ticket pricing questions). This phone screen was immediately followed up by having to compete a price fare case question via an excel doc. I had 45 minutes to complete it and had to email it back.

Then I was moved on to the final rounds on campus, but had a scheduling conflict so was flown out to their HQ a few weeks later. There were 3 45 minute interviews with Senior Analysts/Directors. They were very nice and welcoming. This was a mix of behavioral questions, questions about my resume, and more questions about general airline pricing questions. If you have knowledge on the airline industry and how and why tickets are priced the way they are you should be fine.

This site helped a lot in preparing. Also I looked at the same interview questions on glassdoor for other airlines as all of them ask pretty similar questions for the RM position.

I heard back the next day and was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Why are flights overbooked?
      What factors would you consider when entering a new route structure?
      etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview was conducted by an employee who is working in this department. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. About half of questions are related to technical questions, while the other half are about your own experience. I think it is necessary to prepare elevator speech, knowledge about statistic and understanding about the whole Airline industry. Because when you make a decision, like open a new route, it requires a lot to consider.

Interview Questions

• What is adjusted R square?   1 Answer
    • How will you open a new airline?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone interview was pretty straightforward, going over your resume and why American, only lasted about 30 minutes. Out of state people they flew out the night before and put in a hotel. In person was 3 one on ones and a case. The case is fairly easy, RM related followed by a memo to the manager describing your assumptions. One on ones are a mix of behavioral, a few brain teasers, and aviation questions OR questions that don't seem to relate to RM but actually do. The people were pretty hard to read and kind of tough but very nice and answered all my questions. They flew everyone out after the interview. I had one of the best HR experiences I've ever had in terms of speed, communication, friendliness and how comfortable she made me feel.

Interview Questions

• Non-aviation question that actually pertains to RM: If you had a gym, what would you consider before buying a more expensive piece of land for it?   Answer Question
    • Aviation: How would X impact the fares of X route -- there are a lot of these questions so if you don't have aviation knowledge of pricing and competition it can be difficult.   Answer Question
    • Behavioral: Tell us about a time you worked with someone who took all the credit?
      What do you enjoy doing the most?

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in November 2015.

Interview

Two rounds of interview. The first round was a 30-min phone interview with a manager, asked some questions about the resume and a few scenario questions. The second was on site: one 30-min interview with the VP and another one with a senior manager. The VP asked about your experience and a brain teaser, the senior manager asked more case scenario questions and one simple excel question.

Interview Questions

• If you have 9 identical golf balls, but one of them is heavier. You only one balance, how many times you need to weigh it to find out the heavier ball.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

There are three 30min back-to-back interviews;
    They are mostly behavioral and resume related, with a few airline related cases nested in each one of the interview. Also include a few brainteasers and basic probability questions.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral:
      What makes you stand out of your peer interviewees for this position?
      What are you most proud of in your life?
      Describe a time when you needed to make a decision real quick while assuming big risk.
      Describe a time when you defended your ideas against your supervisors/managers.
      Describe a time you decided to make a big change in your life, and how did you deal with the coming challenges.
      Why did you come to MSBA program?
      Lots of resume related.

Brainteasers:
      3 candies. 1 heavier. You want to pick the heavier one using a balance. How many times do you need to weigh?
      [The answer really is once… They just don’t want you to over think…]
      You have 1 seat left to sell 4 days before the plane takes off. There is a 90% possibility that a leisure customer will show up and you can sell the ticket for $1000; 50% possibility that a business customer will show up and you can sell the ticket for $2000. How much will you price it? We base a lot of our strategies on these kind of expectation calculations. Under what circumstances will this approach stop holding anymore?
      [Again, do not overthink =-=]

Cases:
      Southwest recently launched a lot of new routes through their new hub in Lovefield, Dallas and we want to see how it affected our business. We have pretty good consumer data both before and after the launch. What would you like to look into?

[I got this problem from one interviewer and threw it to another interviewer who had worked for AA for 17 years. Below are what came to her top-of-mind.]

Basically, we want to see what market they went into. We can divide the market into non-stop network and flow network, and study the change in mkt. share, change in mkt. size, and change in profitability.

We have a route from Austin to Dallas and charge them $200 round trip. Now a new airline enters the market, and price the same trip for $150. Do we want to match the price?
      [ For this problem, do note that airlines distinguish their products not only by amenities, foods, etc., but also by TIME STRUCTURE, like the frequency of flights, time of the flights, seats availability at different time..]

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through university career service and met the recruiters (which are managers instead of HR people) at school career fair. Got a e-mail two weeks later to do a on campus interview with a follow up math/stat test.
    Two week after that got a call from AA that I am moving on to the final round and they are flying me down to HDQ do a final round interview.
    They flied me in super early in the morning and a host for us take care of us all day. Then met all other candidates and hosts with the Director and then head to lunch which is awesome Mexican.
    Later afternoon, 3 back-to-back interview with managers and team leads.

They fly us back to school later that day.

Interview Questions

• How many phone numbers are currently active?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate due to I really like AA and I am happy with what they offer.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Fort Worth, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume through campus recruiting and got a call a few weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes, included mostly behavioral questions and "walk me through your resume" and "what are you most proud of". The phone interview was followed by an email with a "test" with probability type questions and it had to be sent back within 30 minutes.

About a week later I got another call offering a second round interview at headquarters in Fort Worth. They scheduled me to fly out early in the morning and land at DFW by 8am where I was met by a host for the day who picked me up and brought me to the office. After getting visitors' badges, several other candidates and I had a brief meeting with a manager about the RM department, then we each had 3 back-to-back 45 minute interviews with different people. After all of the candidates finished their interviews, AA hosted a lunch for us at a Mexican restaurant with all of the hosts and a few managers. I was on a flight back home by 3pm. Other candidates from out of state were put up in hotels for the night before and also flew home after the lunch.

Interview Questions

• Prioritize these five situations according to which one you would want to deal with as soon as possible to the ones that could be dealt with later.
      a. Southwest offers 10% discount on all fares.
      b. United launches new route from Salt Lake City to *some city* in Montana.
      c. AirTran lowers fares for college students traveling to Florida in March.
      d. You're giving a presentation to your VP in 1 hour and haven't started preparing.
      e. United, AirTran, and Southwest all increase prices on fares for 3 different routes that AA also flies.
      2 Answers

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate during my verbal acceptance. I asked if the salary was flexible and the hiring manager said that "HR gives us this number to offer candidates". Former employee also told me that the pay structure was firm. Might try to negotiate again when signing written offer.