American Apparel Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 8, 2017

1.8

198 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Apparel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I sent in an application online and came in to turn in my resume in person. I got an on the spot interview in the front of the store. After the interview I was told by the store manager that she would gladly have me on the team! I told her I can start whenever haha, it takes about 3 days for the paperwork to go through.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Apparel

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American Apparel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was scouted at college, had a former classmate submit a photo of me to HR and I received an interview within a week. The interview was easy, the questions were about my experience in sales and apparel

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not difficult, sales associate questions that were easy to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Apparel (New York, NY).

Interview

Someone spoke with me asked me a few questions on my job history. My availability. Asked why I wanted to work for the company, what music and magazines I enjoyed. The interview process took all of 5 mins, they asked if I could take a photo for reference and I was offered the position on the spot. The next day I came in to fill out my paperwork and background check

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (Paramus, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online over the summer and brought in both a resume and cover letter to the location at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ at the beginning of October because I knew they would be looking to hire for the holiday season. I called about a week later on a Monday and spoke to the manager who at first told me they were already looking at two people to fill their open positions, but after I told her I had brought in a resume the week before she replied "oh the one with the cover letter? Oh yeah, I was going to call you sometime before I left today.…" This made me feel hopeful that she had already been impressed, and she told me that we'd be scheduling an interview later in the week for the following week. I called back that Thursday to schedule the interview for the following Tuesday and the manager thanked me for calling back. That next Tuesday I came in 15 minutes early dressed like I was about to be photographed for their online catalog in their latest styles. I met the recently hired keyholder who conducted the interview with me after seeing that the manager was busy. The interview was casual; I brought a copy of my resume and I felt very confident. She complimented me on my knowledge on the company and noted my outfit, even telling me that she "liked me already!" At the end she told me I should definitely be hearing back from the manager. I felt really good when I left, as this had been my second time applying at the location. However, within the next two weeks I received no call. I did call back a week later to talk to the manager and ask if she had any questions for me being that I didn't get to meet her when I came in for my interview and to show her how serious I was about the job. She told me that it was up to the district manager to make the hiring decision at this point and that she didn't want to waste my time. I found this very interesting and was a bit let down after not receiving at least a call back to discuss availability.

However, being an actual customer of the company and this specific location for several years now, I did realize how the specific location staff is mostly comprised of people of Asian background. The keyholder I interviewed with was the only staff member in the store I had seen in a while that wasn't of Asian descent. I am not Asian, though I remember her telling me that I was definitely a "contender" for the position, which I would have confidently agreed with. Taking this all into consideration, I'm made to feel like the district hiring team is racially biased, and I am sure that is not what the company and overall brand would want.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at American Apparel (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very simple, very non invasive and directed at assessing how well you'd fit in within the sales team, and overall company culture. The manager sat me down asked how I felt about the store, retail, and the company message.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to the team?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

Open call at a specific location in NYC, the line was long. Dress "American Apparel" like. Be enthusiastic but not too overly happy. The interview in one on one usually with the Manager or Assistant manager.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

very laid back. talked about brand.Everything made in the US. talked about what is expected as a sales associate and what my role would be in the store. What Dove expected of all his employees and wanted.

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Apparel (Annapolis, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

It was so informal! So easy and no one except for me (as far as I could tell) was there for the open call so we talked for a while. It was very relaxed and you eill get the job if you can hold a conversation and have a bubble, open, positive personality. But, mainly be yourself and brush up on ur AA history.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

Apply online and if they think you'd represent their brand well, then they'r e likely to call you in for an interview. I recommend attaching those photos showing off your personal style. Wear American Apparel-esq clothing. Nothing too fancy. One-on-one Interview was no more than five minutes with simple questions read from a a paper. Really quick and painless with a really chill manager. Remember to relax and answer the questions really well. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• Why American Apparel?
      Tell me what you know about American Apparel?
      Why is customer service important to you?
      Describe American Apparel's style.
      Describe you personal Style   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Apparel (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online by uploading pictures of myself, my style, and included my resume. Asked to interview at the melrose location although I was applying to a different store. Went inside and the employees were all nice and even complimented my outfit, (plaid skirt, high knee black socks, black long sleeve). Read about their whole no makeup thing so wore very minimal makeup. Was asked to wait by the fitting rooms, and then was guided to interviewers office for questions. She was very nice but I felt like I was being judged. Overall the interview was kind of awkward. Shook her hand and left. Called the original store I was applying to about a week later to check status of interview and was yelled at, definitely made me not want to shop here again.