American Bar Association Program Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Program Assistant

American Bar Association Program Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at American Bar Association

Program Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

I applied online and a woman in HR reached out to me via email to schedule an introductory phone call. We set the call for a specific date and time and when it came to that date and time she never called me. I then called her and she told me she had me scheduled for the next day even though I had documented evidence it was for that day. We had our phone call the next day and it was lovely and she asked me to come in almost the next day for an in-person interview. I met with a very nice man, and we had a great interview and conversation. Come two weeks later, I reach out to the woman in HR again to see how the process is going and she tells me they're still interviewing and that I should expect to hear from them soon. Never heard anything. I don't even mind that I didn't get the job but at least send out a generic email telling me so. It's only common courtesy.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Bar Association

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Bar Association in May 2010.

Interview

Pretty Painless interview process, initial interview with HR and then hiring manager. Second interview and testing from hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Set ranges for salaries, experience put me on high end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

I got an email in the middle of the week (Wednesday) as if I could do a phone interview that week. Arranged to do one the next day. After a very brief standard phone interview (about 10 minutes) arranged to have an in-person interview the following Monday. The interview I feel went well and was with 4 other people. They asked pretty standard questions such as my strengths, asked for examples of my work, how can apply my experience to this position, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

I first had a brief phone interview with HR based in Chicago. I was then scheduled an in person interview.

I began the interview process with a 1:1 on a Monday. I met with one lawyer who seemed very professional and knowledgeable. She asked me general questions about my experience, specific tasks that I had done that would apply to the job and asked me what I hoped to gain from the position. She also asked me about my newsletter skills, web design skills, and writing skills. Very informative and pleasant interview. She informed me that it would be a position that needed to be held for at least 2 years. She told me she would let me know by the end of the following week.

I received a call from the HR person based in Chicago on Tuesday, asking for another interview with the two other lawyers that I would be supporting. I came in the next day on Wednesday, and again, I was asked questions about my experience, specific programs that I had worked on, what strategies I could contribute to their work etc. I brought in examples of flyers that I had done for events which they appreciated and kept. They said they would be in touch by the end of the week (Thursday/Friday).

On Thursday at 2:30pm, the HR lady in Chicago informed me that they wanted to offer me the position, and that I needed to get back to them the following day, Friday, by noon. Seeing as I was given less than 24 hours to make a decision, I attempted to ask for a week extension to make this important decision. I was denied, even when I asked the weekend to decide, and again pressured to make a decision. I told the lady that I would get back to her the following day by noon as originally planned.

She then called at 5:30pm and informed me that after a conversation with the first lawyer, that they decided to rescind the offer. I had no background check, no nasty e-mails exchanged, nothing that I could think of that would cause them to rescind an offer in less than 5 hours. I can only guess hat it was my hesitation to make such an important decision in less than 24 hours. I have come away from this experience with an extremely negative impression of HR and the hiring lawyers of ABA.

I only tell my story to caution potential applicants of the unprofessional and rude behavior. I do not know what made them change their mind in such a short amount of time, but if this is how an employer treats their potential employees, I am not sure that I would want to work in such a hostile environment.

Interview Questions

• What about your internships that you did not enjoy?   1 Answer

HR/lawyers handled job offer in an unprofessional way, representing ABA in a negative light.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

I was contacted for an in-person interview about a week after I had applied. I went into the office and met with two of the people who would serve as my supervisors. One of them repeatedly asked me about my political views and continued to do so despite my deflections. This seemed unrelated to my professional goals and a bit unwarranted. I was contacted two weeks afterwards to meet with a senior member of the staff and they contacted all of my references. One of the interviewers had interviewed someone else with my resume the day before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online in March 2017. I heard back within a week and scheduled a phone interview, which lasted roughly half an hour. I then interviewed twice in person, with both interviews lasting more than an hour long. In my final interview, I felt the conversation was professional, yet pleasant and conversational. However, the end of the interview took a sharp right turn, as I was asked to speak to another individual in management that I was not scheduled (or told) I would be speaking with, and therefore felt wholly unprepared to have a substantive conversation with this individual. I felt I had a really strong interview all the way up until this point, but when you throw an entry level candidate a curveball of speaking to a senior staffer they did not know they would be speaking to, who then asks only two, very difficult questions, you are setting them up to have a really poor interview experience. Three weeks later, I have not heard back from HR, so I assume I did not get the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with Inner recruiter/HR went very well. The interview process took a little over an hour in person and I thought, went very well. Spoke with two different people about the position and had the opportunity to ask questions. It was very conversational, yet professional. Everything was going well, said they would follow up.. Fast forward three months later. I still hadn't heard a word. One more month goes by and randomly I received a form email from the company stating that they had gone in a different direction. I had clearly assumed that by now. Just do not leave potential applicants hanging like that. I believe that every company should let someone know, either way, within a month.

Interview Questions

• My strengths and weakness
      A time when I had to handle a difficult situation at work and how I coped with it.   Answer Question