American Bureau of Shipping Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Bureau of Shipping Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping.

Interview

Extremely lengthy, Interviewers were not honest about the details of the position. I was told details about the position that pertained only to the "favorites" that already worked there. Intimidation tactics were used which made for a very uncomfortable interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with Storyline before?   1 Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I had an interview with the agency, then a phone interview with the company, then interviewed with the immediate supervisor before being interviewed by department head. Pleasant, conversational. Was warned by the recruiter and the immediate supervisor that the department head could be difficult, but did not find him so. I brought sample work to show, which seemed to impress them. I inserted humor where possible and kept it light but businesslike.

Interview Questions

• If I could make a commitment that day if they made an offer.   1 Answer
    • Wanted to know about experience with problem clients (internal) at previous jobs and how did I solve the issue.   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping.

Interview

Get response after submit resume in couple of weeks. The process is efficient. overall good experience. the offer could wait couple of weeks to finalize. offer is less competitive.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

It is my first job interview, great experience, and I got the offer.
    I presented my research work from the school. The panel asked several technical questions after lessening to my presentation. They have advanced knowledge of my specialty, so I get know this is a good place for me to be trained.

Interview Questions

• The panel asked several technical questions after lessening to my presentation.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping (Ann Arbor, MI) in March 2014.

Interview

Since I won the scholarship provided by ABS, I just got a simple phone interview. It was simple and just go over my resume and make confirmation about my previous experience. And then they will do background check with previous companies.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in November 2013.

Interview

I received an American Bureau of Shipping scholarship, and got an email to invite me to apply for their summer internship program the next semester. I applied online through the website attached. I got an offer without going through any interview process. I believe the website for scholarship program is different from general application website.

Aspire Rotational Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping (Houston, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Interview consisted of 4 behavioral rounds with different heads of the department. There was very little technical questions involved. The objective was to basically judge my communication and team skills as the position involved lot of interactions with different groups within the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you stepped up to lead a team   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping in July 2013.

Interview

I received a phone call from a staffing agency that found my resume on Monster. I met with a manager in the next few days. The interview was very informal which made me feel more at ease. It lasted about 30 minutes with other co-workers present.

Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping.

Interview

The interview process will be different for each department.
    I was interviewed by the department director and two Managing Principal Engineers. There was only one interview, which was followed by an offer.
    The three men asked several questions that were border-line inappropriate; particularly regarding my marital status, intention to have children and where I "am from".
    There were also questions about why I would want to work at ABS, and I was given a real guilt trip about committing to the company "for life."
    The interviewers kept stressing that the good work (ensuring the safety of vessels) that ABS employees are responsible for makes up for the lower pay.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any family here or kids in school that will keep you in the area?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The compensation offered was considerably lower than what I expected, and what is normal in the area for my background. I countered with details and negotiated a slightly higher salary.

Marine Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Bureau of Shipping (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

I never had an interview. I got hired through an agency. The recruiter asked me a few easy questions. Then a few months later i got an email with the job offer to start work. He asked if i was willing to work overseas and where i could work. He asked when i was available to start.

Interview Questions

• Are you available to start in may?   1 Answer