American Cancer Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.8

279 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR followed by in-person interview with hiring manager. Submitted plan for 30/60/90 days following in-person interview. HR reached out and offered position with salary.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want this position   1 Answer

Cancer Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted two days later for an phone interview. After the phone interview I was asked to take a technology assessment and a typing test. Both were pretty basic and easy. They are looking to make sure you can type more than 50wpm and the technology test is not timed but they the lady that interview me said people tend to finish in 10-15 minutes. I think there were close to 40 multiple choice questions on the test. After I passed both of those, I was contacted for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of me touring the building, shadowing someone already in the position, and then a Skype interview with the hiring manager. The questions were mainly situational and they expect you to use the STAR format when answering. They contacted me 4 days after my onsite interview with a job offer. Everyone I interacted with was extremely helpful, professional, and kind.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to ask difficult questions to a customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had a lot going on and how did you handle it   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work from home? Why do you want to work for the ACS?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to learn a new database, how long did it take you to be comfortable with it   Answer Question
    • How do you prefer to communicate with people   Answer Question
    • Do you prefer to work as a team or individually   Answer Question

Community Manager - Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online with Indeed. Received an email two days later requesting a phone interview. The interview was brief, 30 minutes, but seemed to go well. We discussed some challenges of the job - long hours, evenings and weekends, plus a good bit of driving/traveling in the community. Overall it was a good interview, she skipped the cliche questions and asked about my experience and how it relates to this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give an example of when I worked in a metric driven environment.   1 Answer

Income Development Specialist Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a lower level employee reading interview questions over the phone. It totally a FORM type interview and not one where they truly wanted to get the best out of the candidate. I reviewed many of the basic customer service interview questions but was surprised by some of the more basic ones that threw me off guard. The person interviewing needed a specific answer and if you didn't have one, you were forced to answer so she could check off a box.

Interview Questions

• What internet browser to you use?   Answer Question
    • How do you notify your employer when you are sick?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Phone interview with questions relating to job description and talked about details of the position including travel and working odd hours. The interview was set up after I was contacted by email.

Community Manager Role Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied for the Community Manager role earlier this year. About a couple days later a recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a phone interview. The following week I had the phone interview with the recruiter. The recruiter answered all my question. Shortly after the phone interview I made it to the next round of in-person interview. The second interview went extremely well. I was told by the staff that they would make a decision and pick their top 2 candidates would be asked to do a final interview in-person. I didn't hear for THREE weeks that I made it to next round. I was told in the pervious interview that it was going to be an in-person interview, but it was changed to a phone interview. I thought it was strange it was going to be a phone interview for their final round of interviews. The lady who did the phone interview was kind and answered all my question. Although at the end of the interview I was told to come in for ANOTHER Interview in person.I gladly accepted although something did not sit well with me that the fact they needed to interview for the fourth time. I went in for the fourth interview and I got mix signs. I just knew by the end of it that they did not know what they were doing.
    . At the end of the interview I asked when I would be hearing back or what their time-line was. Both the interviewers awkwardly looked at each other and said they were not sure what their time line was. At that moment I knew right then and there they had no idea what they were going and I was being dragged along. The next day I found out I did not get the interview from two separate sources. I received a voice mail saying they decided to not fill the position. Shortly after I got an e-mail saying they decided to go with other candidates. It was TWO different reasonings. Shortly after I called the recruited to clarify on why I didn't get it, because I got two separate messages. The reason I am writing this review is for others to learn from my experience. If you have a bad feeling about a company while you are interviewing with them- listen to it. I was very disappointed how the American Cancer society handled the interviewed process. They were inconsistent and not communicative through out the whole interview process. This was a two month long process.

Cancer Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX).

Interview

1. Apply online
    2. Short conversation over the phone with recruiter
    3. Computer skills assessment
    4. 1.5 hour onsite interview and shadowing of current front line staff
    -- Interview is heavy with situational questions. Know the STAR method and be well prepared with many professional anecdotes to use with your answers.

Interview Questions

• When's a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time you handled an escalated issue independently.   Answer Question

Coordinator Community Events Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position online, a few days later a rep from HR contacted me to set up a phone screening. The phone screen took place 4 days later (there was a holiday in the middle of the week) and lasted 30 minutes. Next, the hiring manager contacted me, about a week later, and set up an in person interview with herself and another manager. I was called back the next day and ask to come in for a second interview the following day.

State Grassroots Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (San Antonio, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Central HR department conducts initial phone screen interview and then makes recommendations to hiring manager. Hiring manager selects candidates for second round interviews. The flaws in this process: The ACS does not clearly define timeframe for next steps, candidates receive no further word from ACS regarding their progress and HR department does not respond to follow-up efforts.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

It took about ten days to get the initial interview from the recruiter. It was very conversational based and relaxed. Described the position very well and excited me about the position. I've moved on to the next interview (phone with a senior community manager)

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate volunteers?   1 Answer