American Cancer Society LIFE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Cancer Society LIFE Interview Questions

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Community Manager-Relay for Life Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2016.

Interview

I suppose it was easy. I applied online and 2 weeks later I got a call from HR saying they wanted to conduct a phone interview to tell me more about the job and get some info about me. They also sent an email with youtube links showing their Relay for Life events.

My phone interview was pretty straight forward, an HR Recruiter conducted it, just told me what the Community manager did, asked me if I was okay working certain hours, traveling a lot 3x out of the week, cold calling, if I had any fundraising experience, expected salary range, etc those kind of things.

After the interview, I was told they would forward my info to the Hiring Manager, but was alerted the next day I didn't make it to the next round(which would've been an in person interview).

I' am thankful they didn't leave me hanging in the dark hence why I gave them a positive interview.
    I think its so rude if one can dedicate 30mins filling out online forms, making cover letters, and not hear a peep if they failed or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe your fund raising experience and how much money did you raise?
      How would you handle two volunteers that got into it because each wanted to do their own thing?
      How many volunteers did you manage?
      How would you go about creating a fund raising event? (I thought I didn't have to do event planning..)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Lengthy but it felt like once I was in, I could move around. Two phone interviews and one in-person interview. The interview felt informal as it was the end of the day on a Friday. It wasn't the most professional interview I've had. Managers aren't really trained with proper supervisory techniques and don't necessarily know how to interview for candidates.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I could handle travel. The role is like a sales rep position without the perks.   Answer Question

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied and was emailed to set up a time for a phone interview. We agreed on a time, and the woman didn't call. So I called about twenty minutes after the schedueld time. She had written down the time wrong. And asked for a minute to get herself together and then we could speak. The "interview" consisted of her robotically asking me form questions. It was a really long phone interview with a lot of repetitive questions that were all personality based.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult volunteer?   1 Answer

Community Manager, Relay for Life - Youth (Lehigh Valley) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Bethlehem, PA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via phone call few days after applying, and set up a phone interview. The interview was very poorly done. You could tell the lady was reading off of a script the entire time. It was very stiff and very unpersonable. It didn't make me feel like this was a company I would want to work with. She would ask a question, I would answer and then there were these long pauses after because she had to type out my responses, and she never said one word that wasn't on her "script". The interview felt very impersonal and really turned me off.

Interview Questions

• How are you able to handle different tasks at the same time?   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted about a week to set up interview after applying online. First interview was with the hiring manager by skype because I am overseas. Told at the end of the interview I would be contacted by HR to set up a second interview. Second interview was within a few days with HR and also took place by skype. Was told to expect to hear from them the following week.

Interview Questions

• Situation type questions. Second interview is 30 preset questions that they cannot rephrase but only repeat.   Answer Question

Relay for Life Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

A very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The interviewer was very passionate about her role in the organization and gave a lot of background information on the company. I was told immediately that I would be moving on to the second round of interviews and the entire hiring process timeline.

Interview Questions

• Why the American Cancer Society?
      What experience do you have managing volunteers?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

The hiring process was very efficient.
    1) Completed Online application
    2) Received an email to arrange a phone interview
    3) Completed phone interview
    4) Received phone call within 2 days to arrange in person interview for the following week
    5) In person interview
    6) Received job offer within 2 days

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult volunteer.   Answer Question

Community Manager, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was given an online survey to take the morning after I filled out an application (applied at midnight, received email at 8:30am). It was a long list of situational questions; all with plausible answers which shows they're looking for a specific personality. I heard back from a hiring manager by 3pm that afternoon to set up a phone interview for the following week. The phone interview lasted about an hour. The first quarter was her explaining the position, the following quarter was questions about myself and my fundraising experience, and the last half was situational questions with free-response answers. Quite honestly this was quite difficult but I must have done well because the regional manager called me to set up an in-person interview a few hours later. The in-person interview mirrored the phone interview but it was much more relaxed and only involved a few questions. Overall, it went great until I told her I would be studying for my Master's degree at the same time and would have to miss 6 days out of the 12-month calendar for class. I knew it probably wouldn't be received extremely well to begin with (what employer really wants to hire someone who already knows they'll miss 6 days?!), but I look forward to her response either way! I think it was a great experience, especially for my first job interview.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied online and about 3 weeks later I received a request to set up a phone interview. The interview was with someone in HR that did not work at the location I was interviewing for. She gave me more information about the position and asked me a few questions like when I would be available to start, my ability to work evenings and weekends, and other questions specific to being able to fulfill basic job responsibilities. I applied for a position that was out of state and she told me that they don't like to hire people that aren't from the area that the position is in and that I would be better off applying in my own state. She then asked me if I was ready to begin the scripted questions. She read these questions like a robot to the extent that they were difficult to understand because her inflection didn't make sense. It was like listening to Siri. They were all what would you do if... questions that were specific to circumstances you might face in the position. Some were very easy, while others were more difficult because there wasn't enough information in the question to make a judgment call. After the scripted questions I was able to ask any questions I had and told that I would hear back whether I moved forward or not. I got a generic email a week later saying that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this position?
      Why the ACS?
      Tell me about your experience working with volunteers.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied online, received an email the next day asking me to complete a questionnaire, within 4 hours had another email asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted over an hour, the person interviewing me sounded like a robot and read off the wrong prompt for the first 30 minutes of the interview because she was confused about what position I even applied for. Very impersonal, after the interview I was no longer interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions based off of finances, which were not mentioned in anything I had researched about the job prior to the interview   Answer Question