American Cancer Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 28, 2017

2.8

Program Manager, Mission Delivery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Mishawaka, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

An personally-known employee advised me to apply online and set me up with an initial interview. After applying online, I received a phone call with two weeks to schedule the first interview. The first interview was a 40-minute phone conversation with a recruiter (Senior Manager) from a NY location. The interview went very well and was in touch by email of the available times for a second phone interview with a recruiting office in Chicago. This phone interview went very well and was told I would be contacted two days later to schedule the panel discussion with local recruiters and other managers. I never received this notification. I emailed the 2nd recruiter and did not get any response back. I contacted the local ACS office and was directed to the Chicago office to leave a message for the Chicago recruiter to contact me to give me an answer of what was going on. Again, zero response. I asked the employee who referred me to the positions and was told to reapply online because the application was not yet received -- which was very odd to me given I had proof of completion and sent it. It was not until 3 months later that I received a response from a different person regarding that other candidates were selected for the position. It baffled my mind on why the process did not move forward after such a promising interview with the Senior Director in Chicago. It was very unprofessional the way this was handled. If you're not initially interested in moving forward, just let the candidate know immediately instead of dragging it on for MONTHS.

Interview Questions

• What experience have you had managing volunteers for large events?   1 Answer

Education & Implementation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Five step process beginning with a phone interview, then a video interview, next a department interview (one on one), followed by a 200 question psych question personality exam, then a small group interview (3 people) and finally a large panel interview (15 people) done round robin style after the candidate gives a 20 minute presentation and turns in a lengthy report to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Do a 20 minute presentation on traveling on a budget, and do assessment of evaluation forms from a previous presentation looking for margin of error and average criterion. Write a report shedding insight to the findings of such figures.   1 Answer

Marketing and Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

When I first got the call after I applied, they said the first interview would be over the phone - so we set up a time/day to do so. First phone interview went well (lasted about 15-20 minutes), said they would like to continue interview in person.
    Went in for second interview, first in person - went well, everyone was nice, he introduced me to most of the employees, and showed me where my potential office might be (I felt really good about getting the job!)
    Called me back the next day to say they wanted to do another in person interview with the area director who would be in town. Went in for THIRD interview, everything went well - lots of questions about what kind of person I am, and wanted every detail of all sales experience I had.
    Called me back a couple days later saying they wanted to do another interview, this time with several people in the office. By this time, I was really losing patience - either you want me or you don't!
    Went in for FOURTH interview, went well. Same questions, just asked differently just like I felt how the other interviews went.
    Call back a few days later, saying a different area director was in town and wanted to meet me. Went in and met with her, things went well - pretty short interview, and I don't blame her I'm not sure what other info anyone could squeeze out of me.
    Called me back a couple days later and did what was basically another phone interview. I didn't even care about the job anymore by this point, I felt like I was in an horrible relationship and I couldn't break up with the person or something.
    Called me back again a couple days later and finally said that they didn't think I was right for the job because I didn't have enough sales experience. I nearly had a nuclear meltdown - I told them from the beginning I barely had any sales experience so I'm not sure what they were doing wasting their time and my time by doing SIX interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me many times what I would do if one of the cancer patients/survivors started clinging to me and wanting to be my friend or be able to call me personally.   1 Answer

Community Manager Role Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied for the Community Manager role earlier this year. About a couple days later a recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a phone interview. The following week I had the phone interview with the recruiter. The recruiter answered all my question. Shortly after the phone interview I made it to the next round of in-person interview. The second interview went extremely well. I was told by the staff that they would make a decision and pick their top 2 candidates would be asked to do a final interview in-person. I didn't hear for THREE weeks that I made it to next round. I was told in the pervious interview that it was going to be an in-person interview, but it was changed to a phone interview. I thought it was strange it was going to be a phone interview for their final round of interviews. The lady who did the phone interview was kind and answered all my question. Although at the end of the interview I was told to come in for ANOTHER Interview in person.I gladly accepted although something did not sit well with me that the fact they needed to interview for the fourth time. I went in for the fourth interview and I got mix signs. I just knew by the end of it that they did not know what they were doing.
    . At the end of the interview I asked when I would be hearing back or what their time-line was. Both the interviewers awkwardly looked at each other and said they were not sure what their time line was. At that moment I knew right then and there they had no idea what they were going and I was being dragged along. The next day I found out I did not get the interview from two separate sources. I received a voice mail saying they decided to not fill the position. Shortly after I got an e-mail saying they decided to go with other candidates. It was TWO different reasonings. Shortly after I called the recruited to clarify on why I didn't get it, because I got two separate messages. The reason I am writing this review is for others to learn from my experience. If you have a bad feeling about a company while you are interviewing with them- listen to it. I was very disappointed how the American Cancer society handled the interviewed process. They were inconsistent and not communicative through out the whole interview process. This was a two month long process.

Cancer Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX).

Interview

1. Apply online
    2. Short conversation over the phone with recruiter
    3. Computer skills assessment
    4. 1.5 hour onsite interview and shadowing of current front line staff
    -- Interview is heavy with situational questions. Know the STAR method and be well prepared with many professional anecdotes to use with your answers.

Interview Questions

• When's a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time you handled an escalated issue independently.   Answer Question

Cancer Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

3-week long process. Typing test. Phone interview. And face to face interview with a mid-level employee. The phone interview and face to face interview utilize the STAR (situation, task, action, response) method and are pretty difficult interviews.

Interview Questions

• Name a time something good came from something you suggested or created?   1 Answer
    • Explain what experience you have with using a database and two computer screens at once?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Tampa, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

Very comprehensive, controlled, on time and professional. Multi stage over 4 months. Felt a little like overkill but I thought they did a good job of presenting exactly what the job was and how I would be evaluated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to deliver difficult information to another person or group. How did you go about it?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Great let me ask as many questions as needed. Kind of difficult wanted specific stories to back up answers to questions they asked. Very supportive company and really helps with anything you need. My overall experience was great very positive environment.

Community Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Denver, CO).

Interview

The interview was long - it lasted a full hour. The questions were abstract and many of them were situational questions that seemed completely unrelated to the position. Many of the questions were also open-ended, prompting you to give an examples of how you respond to different instances. It was extremely vague and some of the questions were unclear.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

first was a phone interview, next was an in person interview with the local manager, the top 2 candidates from the in person interviews then go to the final phone interview

Interview Questions

• they like to ask questions regarding situations...."Name a time when...." Be sure to know your strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question