American Cancer Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Cancer Society Interview Questions

Updated Nov 29, 2017

2.8

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

The interview itself was standard. It began with a phone screen which was followed with an interview with the hiring manager. The final interview was to be a face to face with other team members. The initial two interviews went well and the HR person invited me to a final interview. After early communication with the HR department regarding times, the communication stopped from the HR department stopped. There was no follow-up, no update on my application, no closure on whether the position was filled or closed.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application online and 1 week later I received an email from HR to set up an interview. The first interview was with an HR recruiter through Skype and we went over my resume, job description, experience with customer service and tech software, and some questions about experiences related to the job. After the screening interview, I had to take a typing test and a multiple choice test about basic technology and internet related questions. The passing rate is 50 wpm for the typing test, I believe. The next week I had an interview with the hiring manager, who explained the role further. The second interview was all based on the STAR behavioral questions format, and was about 40 minutes to an hour long. The hiring manager and the HR recruiter were really friendly and supportive during the interview, and were happy to answer questions I had for them.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with difficult individuals in your previous experiences?   Answer Question
    • How do you remain calm in a stressed situation?   Answer Question

Income Development Specialist Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a lower level employee reading interview questions over the phone. It totally a FORM type interview and not one where they truly wanted to get the best out of the candidate. I reviewed many of the basic customer service interview questions but was surprised by some of the more basic ones that threw me off guard. The person interviewing needed a specific answer and if you didn't have one, you were forced to answer so she could check off a box.

Interview Questions

• What internet browser to you use?   Answer Question
    • How do you notify your employer when you are sick?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR followed by in-person interview with hiring manager. Submitted plan for 30/60/90 days following in-person interview. HR reached out and offered position with salary.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want this position   1 Answer

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Columbus, OH) in January 2016.

Interview

You interview with a recruiter over the phone and then you do a phone interview with the person who will be your manager. If that goes well they will have you shadow an employee and do a final interview after you shadow the employee.

Interview Questions

• My manager asked me more about customer service skills than anything very technical   1 Answer

Cancer Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted two days later for an phone interview. After the phone interview I was asked to take a technology assessment and a typing test. Both were pretty basic and easy. They are looking to make sure you can type more than 50wpm and the technology test is not timed but they the lady that interview me said people tend to finish in 10-15 minutes. I think there were close to 40 multiple choice questions on the test. After I passed both of those, I was contacted for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of me touring the building, shadowing someone already in the position, and then a Skype interview with the hiring manager. The questions were mainly situational and they expect you to use the STAR format when answering. They contacted me 4 days after my onsite interview with a job offer. Everyone I interacted with was extremely helpful, professional, and kind.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to ask difficult questions to a customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had a lot going on and how did you handle it   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work from home? Why do you want to work for the ACS?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to learn a new database, how long did it take you to be comfortable with it   Answer Question
    • How do you prefer to communicate with people   Answer Question
    • Do you prefer to work as a team or individually   Answer Question

Community Manager - Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

It was painfully drawn out. I interviewed with a recruiter in June but didn't hear back from the hiring manager until September. They said that they lost the application though apparently did well in my screening interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic scenario questions. Many questions on nonprofit development and community engagement.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Owensboro, KY) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone screen and in person interviews. The phone screens and interviews were over a 3-month period. Often I had to follow-up about the process. During the in person interviews, there were scripted questions. A job description was provided but a requested budget was not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have had to deal with a difficult personality   Answer Question

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Fort Worth, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Fast and informal. I was told I would have 3 interviews, got a phone call that skipped one of them and then was asked the same questions in my in person.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for a non profit?   1 Answer

Community Manager - Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online with Indeed. Received an email two days later requesting a phone interview. The interview was brief, 30 minutes, but seemed to go well. We discussed some challenges of the job - long hours, evenings and weekends, plus a good bit of driving/traveling in the community. Overall it was a good interview, she skipped the cliche questions and asked about my experience and how it relates to this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give an example of when I worked in a metric driven environment.   1 Answer