American Cancer Society Relay for Life Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Cancer Society Relay for Life Manager Interview Questions

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Lengthy but it felt like once I was in, I could move around. Two phone interviews and one in-person interview. The interview felt informal as it was the end of the day on a Friday. It wasn't the most professional interview I've had. Managers aren't really trained with proper supervisory techniques and don't necessarily know how to interview for candidates.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I could handle travel. The role is like a sales rep position without the perks.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Cancer Society

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied and was emailed to set up a time for a phone interview. We agreed on a time, and the woman didn't call. So I called about twenty minutes after the schedueld time. She had written down the time wrong. And asked for a minute to get herself together and then we could speak. The "interview" consisted of her robotically asking me form questions. It was a really long phone interview with a lot of repetitive questions that were all personality based.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult volunteer?   1 Answer

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Quick response to resume, began with a phone interview and online personal assessment, Within 2 weeks I was contacted for a 2nd interview. Every person I spoke to seemed to genuinely care about the comapny and seeking a person with the same passion.

Interview Questions

• Many scenario type questions: If you had to handle an volunteer that.... What would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society (Sacramento, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted for a phone interview, than a face-to-face interview. Soon after, they offered me the position I am currently holding.

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2009.

Interview

Hiring process was done via the phone and then in person.

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Interview

A lot of red tape

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they don't negotiate

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2012.

Interview

You can ONLY apply through their website. If you go to a local office, they will accept your resume and direct you to the website to apply, but your resume will not be passed on. If you know a current employee, they can recommend you, but special treatment will not be given. They will keep an eye out for your application, but you will be selected for an interview based on the same criteria as other applicants.
    The first round is a phone interview with a recruiter. They will ask questions to clarify things on your resume or get more details about certain experience as well as why you are leaving your current job. They will also ask about willingness to travel and unusual/long hours. If you answer that you aren't flexible or don't want to work too many nights or weekends, you won't hear back. You will also be asked to complete a long online personality test to judge your compatibility with the position. The test is one used very frequently by hiring managers and unless you are rather dense, it's pretty easy to figure out which answers will behoove you.
    After that round you will be brought in to an in person interview with the hiring manager and another supervisor. ACS uses the STAR interview system which is broken in to sections. The first section is background. Things like, "Tell us about your biggest failure or weakness." This is a good opportunity to talk about overcoming a difficulty (never say you have no weakness or failures) For the second section they will talk about you as you relate to the job. Be prepared to answer questions like, "Tell us about a time you had a conflict at work and how it was resolved" or "Describe a time you were overwhelmed at work. How did you handle this?" The third section is very job specific. Why you are interested, what do you hope to get from the job, how long you would like to stay, etc. They will give you an opportunity to ask questions. The last section is brief and mostly about what you want from your future. Where do you see yourself in five years, what is your dream job. This is when they will ask about salary expectations.
    For certain positions (specifically, Relay positions) you will be asked a lot about your willingness to work long and unusual hours (nights, weekends, short notice) and the same rules apply as the phone interview - be flexible or you're out. They also talk a lot about "follow-through" and "accountability." Your answers to those questions are very important.

Interview Questions

• I was very familiar with the STAR system, but if you are not the questions may catch you off guard. A quick internet search will return dozens of sample STAR questions so you understand what types of answers to prepare.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a verbal offer over the phone from the recruiter who performed my phone interview. I accepted the offer as-is (I had discussed salary requirements in the interviews and the offer was satisfactory). I was told that the offer was conditional based on the results of my background check and that they would contact me when it was complete. The recruiter asked if I intended to accept pending the clear background check and I told her yes. We discussed my possible start date and she told me she would contact me with the results. Within a few days I received my hard copy offer and accepted.
    I did not negotiate my package, however I did negotiate my start date (I needed to start later than they requested) and they were relatively accommodating. My offer was amended to reflect the new date.