American Chemical Society Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 15, 2017

2.9

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Washington, DC).

Interview

About a month after submitting the application, HR called me to set up an interview. After the initial phone interview with the hiring manager, I heard back 10 days later. This time, they wanted to fly me out to Washington, DC for an in-person interview. About a week later, I flew to DC the night before the interview. They housed me in a great hotel next to to the company building. The following morning, I met with six people (four in person and two via phone). Each interview lasted ~30 minutes and it went very fast. After the final interview, I left for the airport to go back home. It was about 20 days later when I was asked to interview with a couple of editors and I heard back after that about 10 days later. The job offer took a little while to get; however, I discussed this multiple other employees at ACS and many of them were involved in the interview process for 4-6 months. I feel really fortunate that my interview went smoothly and quickly.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work outside of the lab?   Answer Question
    • Give me a specific example of how you handled a difficult situation in your current workplace.   Answer Question
    • What do you want to do after this? What are your ultimate goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

For me, there wasn't a strong desire to negotiate and cover the process out longer because the hiring manager offered me the exact salary I requested in the beginning. This was higher than what I originally expected to receive, so I only negotiated moving costs. The company was amazing in covering everything with the move, even costs that I occurred from moving out early from my previous apartment.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

30 minute phone interview with 2 contracting employees (I don't think they were part of HR). They were very focused on understanding how my past experience related to the role they were trying to fill. I didn't have the past experience they were looking for, so I did not continue in the interview/job application process.

Interviewers were polite. I was informed of their decision not to proceed within a few days of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Very focused on past experience and how it relates to the job opening. Not behavioral in nature.   Answer Question

Web Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Instead of a phone screen, the HR contact sent a lengthy email of questions for me to answer. These were standard interview questions, such as asking about my background, how my skills relate to the position, what I'm looking for in my next job, what kind of job environment I prefer, etc. I got confirmation of my answers the next day, but it was radio silence for about two weeks. I received another email asking if I could come in for an in-person interview, which I set up. They were looking to hire pretty quickly and I interviewed on a Tuesday. They asked for my references as well since they really liked my resume, and said they would get back to me by that Friday. I followed up several times for an update and they kept saying by the following Friday they would have an answer. Three Fridays later I emailed again and almost a second after I received an email "apologizing" for me not receiving any notification but the job had been given to someone else.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience working with content management systems?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Chemical Society.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and then 3 months and 3 interviews later, received an offer. First interview with the hiring manager/HR, then fit interviews with other individuals that work closely with the needed position.

Interview Questions

• If you had a $100,000 marketing budget, how would you spend it?   Answer Question

Recruitment Advertising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by one on one and finalyl a panel interview. Staff was nice and pleasant in person however it was the worst experience I have ever had in terms of post interview communication. After a couple of weeks I had to follow up via phone to see where the process was. I finally sent them an email explaining that i was pursuing another opportunity. Several days later I finally received an email stating they had gone with another candidate. This was one month after my final interview. Horrible communication and lack of consideration for a candidate. After taking time off of work to come in for two interviews, one should expect more from a professional organization.

Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Stockton, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview took place via telephone. This was because the company was prescreening many candidates to fill up the positions and they were short on time. The person conducting the interview was the person in charge of the program, so she knew exactly what kinds of people she was temporarily employing.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with any of the equipment that will be used in the setting of this workforce?   1 Answer

Peer Review Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online for the position, and was contacted almost a full two months later asking me to come in for an interview. The initial portion of the interview involved meeting with an HR person for about 30 mins where they explained the benefits and process. This was helpful, but confusing as it occurred before the initial interview with the relevant department. The department interview was about an hour long, pretty standard. I did have a second interview, and I think its common to have up to 3 interviews before an offer is made

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals? Do you have a big picture outlook?   1 Answer

Associate Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American Chemical Society.

Interview

Hiring process was straightforward and professionally handled. They made the interview process pleasant and made their decision quickly. I interviewed with the person who was to be my boss and with her boss, and they took me around the office to meet a random smattering of other folks. The interview was most about getting to know each other, it didn't feel at all like an exam. That's probably because a collegial and friendly work environment is prioritized, and I wouldn't have gotten the interview if they weren't pretty sure I was qualified to do the work.

Interview Questions

• Not unexpected exactly, but they asked if I was detail oriented and meant it. Every employer asks that question, but usually it's just a filler/screening question like "have you every been convicted of a crime."   Answer Question

Negotiation

This was a bit icky. They made me "negotiate" for a benefit that's given automatically to all employees in my work group, and as a result I made less effort to negotiate on other parts of the compensation. I feel that I got duped and am concerned that it will effect my salary history for years to come. Management later apologized for that (it may have been HR's doing), but hasn't done anything to redress it.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Washington, DC).

Interview

couple phone calls and 2 in person interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Chemical Society (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

Interview was less than an hour with 2 different PMs. One PM was instrumental in questioning me on real world experience. The other PM was asking questions more so to almost entertain his knowledge rather than to gain knowledge of what i knew.