American City Business Journals Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American City Business Journals Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American City Business Journals in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted my related professional resume to a job posting on a job board. Heard back from the director of the Advertising department in less than 72 hours. Scheduled a phone interview first. Had an in-person interview with local publisher President about a week later and also met with other AE's currently on the team. Had another over the phone interview with publisher President AFTER an over the phone interview with a third party interviewer. Met in-person and was offered the position. Received offer. (NOTE: I was re-locating to the hiring city within a few weeks so interviewing process took 3+ weeks to get to offer).

Advertising Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (Charlotte, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

long and multiple steps with various stages (online submission, phone interview, skype interview, in person interviews with various senior executives). They were most interested in how the chosen candidate would fit into the existing team structure

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (Charlotte, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Starts with phone interview with recruiter, they ask basic questions to feel out who you are. Then there is a second phone interview with a manager who is going to get more into the nitty gritty of what the job entails. You're then asked to learn a little bit about the journal. Lastly you do a mock sales call with a different manager to give a very basic pitch for the business journal. Then you proceed to a round of face to face interviews with the management team.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle a large call volume per day, as in upwards of 100 phone calls?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Lengthy process to interview with ACBJ. Had numerous interviews, and some were with local management while others were with corporate. The personality test that is provided is also a long process, and was a little exhausting, but it is part of the process.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite part about selling?   1 Answer

Associate Editor Interview

Interview

A series of phone calls and in-person interviews: first with managing editor, then with both EIC and ME, then with publisher and deputy ME, then with a third-party personality-testing service that asks open-ended questions, then with corporate. Can be stretched out.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (Charlotte, NC) in April 2014.

Interview

Had an in person, introductory interview with the hiring manager. Was advised that a followup, technical interview with the team would be next, some time in the following couple weeks. A day or two later I sent a follow up email and said I was looking forward to the next meeting. Lots of communication up until the interview to confirm that I wasn't going to miss the appointment. After the interview none. I never heard from them again. No response to my followup email; no second interview. About a month later I noticed the job posting had been removed from the careers section of their web page, presumably it had been filled.

Interview Questions

• Very casual interview, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (Dayton, OH).

Interview

I applied for a job at Dayton Business Journal and went through three interviews, meeting three different people in the process. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were a bit too easy. No typical interview questions were asked, and actually some personal questions were asked. I was made to think that I was a top candidate, as I was one of two making it to the final interview. One person who interviewed me told me upfront that he felt if I invested my time in coming down to talk to them, that they owed me a response either way. After the 3rd interview, I was told they would make a decision that week. I never heard back. The last interviewer actually responded to my thank you email, saying it was nice to meet me and they would get back to me end of week. About a week later I emailed her again to follow up. She did not respond. I noticed they re-posted this job on a job board. Feeling quite challenged for an answer, I called their office several times and no one answered. I decided to reapply, and as soon as I did, within hours I received an email stating they chose another applicant. I am very disappointed in the time I invested and the lack of professionalism from this company that is so involved in our community.

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American City Business Journals.

Interview

The interview process at ACBJ can be long, as it works hard to find the right people to fit into its organization. I had a brief phone interview plus three somewhat long in-person interviews. You also will be asked to take a Kenexa interview so they can see if you fit the mold of successful ACBJ employees.

MARKET SUPPORT ANALYST Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (Charlotte, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Met with the Hiring Manager, HR Manager and VP. They asked a lot of questions and I got offered the job right away. It was a great company to work for with the best benefits. Compensation was entry level at best but good team environment

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5yrs   1 Answer

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American City Business Journals (San Antonio, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was very thorough. There was an initial screening interview, then after several weeks of waiting for a new senior executive to join the company, we had a second interview. It was disappointing to be left to wait in the lobby for twenty minutes. That should have been a red flag. As it turned out, the hiring manager is late for every appointment, even with customers.

Interview Questions

• The hiring manager didn't ask any thought-provoking questions; softballs. The senior executive askes me to describe would I would do in the first 4 weeks of employment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would encourage a candidate to study the potential of the assigned business categories. I was assigned low value categories on the assumption there would be equity across sales positions. Bad assumption.