American College of Surgeons Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2017

3.1

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

This was one of the strangest interviews I've had. The HR person proceeded to tell me she believed I was overqualified for the position based on the last job on my resume(then why did she contact me, at all?), that the "Coordinator" role was more of an entry level "Assistant role" (why not call it that in the advertisement then?) and that if I was looking for room for growth, that there "really was no room for growth", a bizarre comment as there is almost always some room for growth unless the company has widespread layoffs. She came across as difficult and bullying. She asked "Why are you a good fit for this job?" (a question I rarely get any more, because it's designed to make the candidate "beg" for the job). She also asked, "Why didn't you use your last job as a reference?"(none of her business who I use as references--very unprofessional). For people out there who are new to interviewing, don't put up with this type of interview! HR interviewers should be polite, respectful, and appropriate at all times. Having this person represent the ACS and their HR department, is only hurting the ACS. It makes me concerned as well, that their current employees may be receiving really poor services from HR.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position online and received an email about 3 weeks later from the HR Assistant to schedule a phone interview with the HR Manager.

The phone interview was about 20 minutes long and was your typical phone screen. I will note that the manager asked about every job on my CV (usually, they just ask about the most recent). I was told that they would be in touch with next steps in the next few days but within an hour of the phone screen, I received an email from the hiring manager stating that they wanted to set up an interview for the next day or the day after. I couldn't meet so soon so we arranged a time for the following week. The interview went well--it was pretty straight forward--in fact, I knew that they wanted to setup a second interview. The second interview was a week later--I met with two Medical Doctors for about 30 minutes each. That interview went well but I did have reservations. I was told that they wanted to grow the position since it was relatively new. I was told that they had hired someone previously but it didn't work out (the person was a great fit culture wise but not work wise). However, I found out that there was another person that they hired that didn't work out as well. I was concerned about that because the position is barely three years old. Also, I felt like the overwhelming majority of the time I would be a travel agent. I didn't know how they could grow it. During this time, I received an email from the HR Assistant requesting my references. I didn't want to give references until I spoke with the hiring manager ( I only want to involve reference when I'm absolutely sure). I did speak with the hiring manager--she explained that the other person was a temp to hire who didn't fit within their work culture. Also, she explained that when they wrote the position, they knew that helping with extensive travel would be the basics but that they saw the position growing. I was satisfied and gave the HR Assistant my references. The process was moving along until I submitting the references. I didn't hear anything for a week and a half. after submitting references. I didn't have a good feeling but I was confused because they asked for my references. I did eventually get a 'Thanks but no thanks' letter. This was the type of letter you would receive when no one contacted you for any type of interview. I was angry, not because I didn't get the job (I think more now that I would have been a glorified travel agent), I was angry because the way in which they told me. They should have picked up the phone (I was too far along in the process). Also, there was no need to waste the time of my references if they were not serious. I sent a rather curt email and the HR manager called me the next day. It was explained that they contact the references for multiple candidates. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, they didn't actually call the references, they instead sent emails with questions. I spoke to one of my references and she said that she was surprised that the request was in that manner. She also went on to say that she thought it was amateur and unprofessional. I concur. If this is happening now, it's just as well that I don't work there.

Lastly, their online application is archaic--time for an upgrade.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you had to make a difficult decision and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

American College of Surgeons Response

Jul 7, 2017 – Senior Manager, Human Resources

We want to thank you for taking the time to give us additional feedback. We are disappointed that your interview experience with the American College of Surgeons did not meet and exceed your... More

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I contacted the recruiter via LinkedIn and scheduled a phone interview a few days later. The phone screening was about 40 minutes and consisted of walking through my resume and discussing my career experience. It was probably a bad sign that one of the first questions was “Would you be willing to take a pay cut?” The salary ($75-$82k) is far below the Chicago market comps for the required level of experience, supervisory responsibilities, and frequent travel/nights/weekends. The recruiter did not seem to have a good understanding of the position or expectations of the hiring manager and was unable to answer any of my questions. I was informed that the hiring process would consist of two phone interviews and three rounds of in-person interviews onsite at the Chicago office. Are they trying to find the right candidate or simply someone who is able to spend months enduring round after round of interviews? No wonder job postings are lingering on their site for six months or longer! Finally, I agree with the other reviewers that the online application system is extremely outdated. Proceed with caution.

Data Quality Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

First interview was a brief 30 minute phone screening with HR, second interview was also on the phone but with two managers for 1 hour, and third interview was in an person full day panel in Chicago at the headquarters.

Congressional Lobbyist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process was relatively extensive. I went in on 2 occasions and met with three individuals at various levels within the organization. The process of receiving a final decision was relatively long and the final decision was relayed through HR.

Interview Questions

• The extent of my relations with staff and members of the Senate.   Answer Question

Director, Convention and Meetings Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons in April 2015.

Interview

I didn't make it past the online application. I've stopped applying to places with horribly-designed job sites that quit unexpectedly and require me to spend more than 15 minutes in submitting an application. Just as HR plays a numbers game with applicants, I play a numbers game with companies. The more job submissions I can get it, the more interest I generate. Since most online submissions get screened by poorly configured computers, I don't bother with sites that waste my time or seem unprofessional. The American College of Surgeons site was both.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

American college of Surgeons refused to work through my agency, requiring me to apply directly on line. Their online application process is very bad. It is poorly written, and it took at least an hour for me to complete the same questions which my agency already had me answer, and which were on file and I had been thoroughly vetted by my agency.

Then I had a rambling 30 minute phone interview with HS. The woman again asked the SAME questions, and passed me on to the next step.

I heard from my agent that I had been passed on, and he scheduled with American college of Surgeons an in-person interview. This interview would take all afternoon in downtown Chicago.

I agreed to the meeting, which required me to book travel to Chicago at my expense, taking time off from my current job.

Then that same evening I received a form email from American college of Surgeons telling me I had been rejected by American college of Surgeons for the job and please do not attempt to contact them!

I called my agent immediately and he took a day basically asking them what happened?

After that my agent called and said "Oh, just a little mistake, ignore it."

Well, here I am, with four other real applications in play, with real companies who are being sincere with me, and who so far seem competent.

So I told my agent - "I've got at most twelve hours of business time every week to interview, and American college of Surgeons wants to talk with me directly, and they rejected me, so unless I hear, directly, from American college of Surgeons, from someone with some authority and competency, who can tell my why this mistake was made and why I should now trust them after screwing up such an easy task, I'm done with them.

I'm writing this negative review to warn any other competent, sincere, busy professionals to stay away from American college of Surgeons or agencies that represent them. Your time is precious, and there are plenty of competent firms out there. Don't waste your time on American college of Surgeons.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

It was long, intense but all in all still a pleasant interview. Very nice people. HR was extremely well coordinated and again...pleasant about the whole thing. Seemed that they had representation from all stakeholder areas to come in and meet the candidate.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was brief and to the point. The interview scheduled a time via email and called promptly at that time. The interviewer was professional and the session lasted for approximately 30 minutes. I received an email a couple of weeks later informing me that another candidate had been selected.

Interview Questions

• What was a program that I had to create from scratch without guidance.   Answer Question

Clinical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter after submitting my application and resume online. I performed a telephone interview with the recruiter who asked standard interviewing questions and basic job requirement questions to assure I had the experience to fulfill those requirements. After a couple of weeks, I received a call and was asked to come for a face-to-face interview with the recruiter and then the manager followed by meeting some of the staff members of the department. Later I was asked to do a second and final interview. Days later the recruiter called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your employment background   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with Microsoft Excel?   1 Answer
    • Are you able to perform public speaking?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer I had been extended and did not attempt to negotiate. My start date needed to be adjusted, however, because they wanted me to start sooner, but I prefer to provide my past employer with adequate notice of intent to leave.