American College of Surgeons Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2017

3.1

Congressional Lobbyist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process was relatively extensive. I went in on 2 occasions and met with three individuals at various levels within the organization. The process of receiving a final decision was relatively long and the final decision was relayed through HR.

Interview Questions

• The extent of my relations with staff and members of the Senate.   Answer Question

Director, Convention and Meetings Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons in April 2015.

Interview

I didn't make it past the online application. I've stopped applying to places with horribly-designed job sites that quit unexpectedly and require me to spend more than 15 minutes in submitting an application. Just as HR plays a numbers game with applicants, I play a numbers game with companies. The more job submissions I can get it, the more interest I generate. Since most online submissions get screened by poorly configured computers, I don't bother with sites that waste my time or seem unprofessional. The American College of Surgeons site was both.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

American college of Surgeons refused to work through my agency, requiring me to apply directly on line. Their online application process is very bad. It is poorly written, and it took at least an hour for me to complete the same questions which my agency already had me answer, and which were on file and I had been thoroughly vetted by my agency.

Then I had a rambling 30 minute phone interview with HS. The woman again asked the SAME questions, and passed me on to the next step.

I heard from my agent that I had been passed on, and he scheduled with American college of Surgeons an in-person interview. This interview would take all afternoon in downtown Chicago.

I agreed to the meeting, which required me to book travel to Chicago at my expense, taking time off from my current job.

Then that same evening I received a form email from American college of Surgeons telling me I had been rejected by American college of Surgeons for the job and please do not attempt to contact them!

I called my agent immediately and he took a day basically asking them what happened?

After that my agent called and said "Oh, just a little mistake, ignore it."

Well, here I am, with four other real applications in play, with real companies who are being sincere with me, and who so far seem competent.

So I told my agent - "I've got at most twelve hours of business time every week to interview, and American college of Surgeons wants to talk with me directly, and they rejected me, so unless I hear, directly, from American college of Surgeons, from someone with some authority and competency, who can tell my why this mistake was made and why I should now trust them after screwing up such an easy task, I'm done with them.

I'm writing this negative review to warn any other competent, sincere, busy professionals to stay away from American college of Surgeons or agencies that represent them. Your time is precious, and there are plenty of competent firms out there. Don't waste your time on American college of Surgeons.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was brief and to the point. The interview scheduled a time via email and called promptly at that time. The interviewer was professional and the session lasted for approximately 30 minutes. I received an email a couple of weeks later informing me that another candidate had been selected.

Interview Questions

• What was a program that I had to create from scratch without guidance.   Answer Question

Clinical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter after submitting my application and resume online. I performed a telephone interview with the recruiter who asked standard interviewing questions and basic job requirement questions to assure I had the experience to fulfill those requirements. After a couple of weeks, I received a call and was asked to come for a face-to-face interview with the recruiter and then the manager followed by meeting some of the staff members of the department. Later I was asked to do a second and final interview. Days later the recruiter called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your employment background   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with Microsoft Excel?   1 Answer
    • Are you able to perform public speaking?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer I had been extended and did not attempt to negotiate. My start date needed to be adjusted, however, because they wanted me to start sooner, but I prefer to provide my past employer with adequate notice of intent to leave.

Membership Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was lengthy. Take great caution when considering and applying to any positions available in membership and the division of education. The hiring managers were rude, condescending, and did not ask relevant questions that were related to the role. The hiring team rushed through the entire interview (lasting about 25 minutes); the first half of conversation was them trying to figure out what position within membership I actually applied to and the second half of the interview encompassed the hiring leads side-stepping (in a condescending tone) relevant questions that I had - as the interviewee - in regards to the overall health of the division and the culture and climate of working in membership.

Interview Questions

• There was none. The interviewers were unorganized and cold, and at times, really unprofessional, taking questions that I asked of them in regards to the division, personal (getting defensive).   Answer Question

The overall hiring experience is lengthy and unorganized, with department heads reflecting an attitude of haughtiness when working with their employees. I picked up a bad taste in my mouth just talking to them, and overall felt this would be the true climate of this division.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough. The first part was a phone interview with HR. The representative was very knowledgeable about the company and position as well as friendly. The 2nd part was a face to face with managers of the department. They offered great detail about the role and upcoming challenges. The final stage was a face to face with chief of department.

Regulatory and Quality Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online. HR contacted for a phone interview. Complete phone interview within a few days. Called 3 days later for an in person interview. At the in person interview I met with the the two managers I would be working with. The first interview went well, she explained the position, her role and how this position would be of an assistance. The second manager came in. At first glance she seemed to have made up her mind about me. Throughout the interview she repeatedly asked the same question, without listening to my answer. Then when asked a question, she was rude. After meeting with her, she changed my perspective of this office. As a manager, you should be able to listen, and I could see from the interview I would not be able to work with her from her lack of attention to detail and to someone who would be working with her.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult. Questions asked were normal interview questions.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons.

Interview

Speaking with the talent manager was very relaxed and informative

Interview Questions

• There was nothing out of the ordinary on the phone interview- just be prepared for the basics. I found myself skipping around my resume a lot to find appropriate answers   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American College of Surgeons.

Interview

The interview process was a very basic process. Depending on the department you may have two or three different days that you have to come in for an interview. The first interview is with the Human Resources Department. The second on is with the department manager and the third is with the Administrator or Director of the department or division.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very simple!