American Council on Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Council on Education Interview Questions

2.6

Web Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Council on Education (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I had a brief phone interview with a woman (maybe 30 minutes). She seemed pretty postie and receptive to my qualifications & answers. I was told I would get a decision by the end of the week. At the end of the week she emailed me saying she had an additional candidate to interview and would let me know my status the following Monday. The following Monday she told me by Thursday she would let me know, then never heard from her even after trying to follow up.

Interview Questions

• What experience I had with content management system, specifically Madgex, Wordpress and Sharepoint.   Answer Question

Web Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Council on Education (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I sent in my resume and a cover letter via their website after I saw the listing on LinkedIn. I got a call the next day from the supervisor of the position because she was impressed with my resume and I had all the qualifications to fit the position. After talking to her, I was offered an in-person interview. I read up about ACE in advance, and also read the generally negative reviews on Glassdoor, so I kept that in mind to ask about during the interview.

During the in-person interview, I spoke with the supervisor of the position, a potential coworker, the heads of Marketing, Membership & Communications, and the VP who oversaw all of those positions. From everyone except the direct supervisor and the coworker, I got the general feeling that no one knew what the web content manager position was for or what I would be doing. When I asked questions about the work/life balance and how people liked working at ACE, I received varied answers; one person seemed almost angry that I had the gall to ask, and replied that it was a "professional" environment where they didn't "dress up for Halloween." I'm not really sure where that came from but the answers raised some red flags for me. Also, it felt like they were angry that I was not showing enough reverence to their prestigious organization (I was reminded that it was prestigious by more than one person). That said, the potential supervisor was very welcoming and helpful, so I put those thoughts to the side since I would mostly be working with her.

After my in-person interview, they followed up with my references. Here's where it gets kind of weird. They called my first reference and asked her about my maturity level. I suppose I came off as flippant by asking about their work environment? I also look a lot younger than I am. After they talked to my first reference, they stood up my second reference and never returned any of her phone calls or emails.

I tried to reach them by phone and email, but got radio silence until a month later, when they let me know I was no longer being considered for the position. At that point I wouldn't have taken the position anyway, given the behavior of their HR department toward my second reference and their unwillingness to respond to me in a timely manner.

It seems like it would not have been a good fit due to their reaction to my personality, anyway, so we both came out on top.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle feedback from and interactions with multiple departments and types of employees?   Answer Question
    • What's the best way to create a working online community for ACE?   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Council on Education (Washington, DC).

Interview

After an initial discussion with a representative from human resources department, there was one phone call interview with the supervisor for the position, and then I was invited for an in-person interview, which included meeting with several groups of individuals.

Senior Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Council on Education (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I had two back-to-back interviews. One interview was with the team that I would be hired into. The second interview was with the organization's leadership. The first interview was very direct and the questions were relevant to the job description. The interview likely lasted about 45 minutes. The leadership interview was very short, about 5-10 minutes and it seemed just to be a final confirmation that I fit the bill.

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate a salary increase. Originally they offered me $70,000/year. I requested $72,000 and they came back within the same day to accept my counteroffer.

Graduate Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Council on Education (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an email back requesting a phone interview. When I interviewed, I was introduced to the a majority of the Center for which I was applying (AVP, Senior Policy Analyst included). The entire process took about 2-3 weeks. I really appreciated the fact that the interview was a conversation about higher education as opposed to a grilling type interrogation.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Council on Education.

Interview

The HR staff handled the communication and set up prior to the first interview. The first interview was with a fairly large panel, about 8 people from different teams and units the successful applicant would deal with. The panel was organized, clearly had prepared and assigned questions, also allowed for follow on.
    Second interview was with supervisor and next level up, a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• Understanding full context for a position in the testing field without prior test development/deployment experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR staff was terrific, looking out for my interests (recommended at least a week between jobs, even though hiring office wanted immediate start). She was absolutely right, a week provided time enough to start the new job fully fresh and energized.

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Council on Education (Reston, VA) in January 2012.

Interview

it took about half a day and I talked with nearly everyone in the company. Seriously. Everybody. Which was good and also kind of weird. There were two interviews about a week apart.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Council on Education in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview scheduled by HR through email. Search committee with 5 people on phone for one hour interview. HR and search committee were very friendly. However, I was disappointed that I did not receive a "thanks, but no thanks letter." I even followed up with an email but did not hear back from them. So, after several days then weeks, I assumed that I did not get the job, which is fine. However, it is not very professional to leave a candidate hanging.

Interview Questions

• Regarding your entrepreneurial side, describe any initiatives where you took the lead role and created something from the beginning.   Answer Question