American Councils for International Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Councils for International Education Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2017

2.5

Screening Panelist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education.

Interview

I applied on the recommendation of someone I know, and was contacted for a phone interview shortly thereafter. I've worked in international education for several years and wanted something part-time for extra money. I was contacted for a short phone interview.

1. My interviewer asked me what times I'd be available, and scheduled me for a completely different time without even addressing that. I could make that time, so I didn't bring it up, but I found this odd.

2. My interviewer was late. I emailed her to see if we were still on, and she then called, but she was 10 minutes late.

3. The interview itself was easy, rather in-depth for a part-time position but nothing unusual. What was quite odd is that she didn't ask me if I had questions at the end, as is standard in interviews - I had to bring this up myself, as I did have questions.

4. She then told me she'd contact my references. All of my references were contacted within the day and all replied - two work at my full-time job so I know they filled out the form and I let them know in advance so it was no surprise. I highly doubt they sabotaged me for no reason, haha.

5. Nothing. I haven't heard a thing from my interviewer, even after following up with her.

Now, I've had interviews where I did not receive an offer, I think we all have. But I found it quite odd that they would bother my references with no intention to make an offer. Even on interviews where I did not receive an offer, my interviewer has kindly followed up and let me know as such - it's never fun to hear but I always appreciate it.

I am a little confused as to why they would even contact my references with no intention to make an offer. I truly don't think my references said anything negative as I work with them and I contacted them in advance to give them an out. Even if they had, a rejection email if you know you aren't hiring someone is standard. I do recruiting and hiring in my full-time job and I would never treat a candidate as unprofessionally as I was treated.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle multi-tasking?   1 Answer

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within about a week to come in for an in person interview with two people who would be my direct managers. The interview lasted about an hour and a half; the managers asked thoughtful questions, and seemed to want to ensure that I would be a good personality fit for their team. I was told that they would be checking references the following week for their top candidate, and that I could expect a decision by the following Friday. I heard back from HR with an offer within a day or two of the expected date.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a coworker that you didn't get along with, and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Screening Panelist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education in August 2017.

Interview

Submitted online application. Was contacted within a couple of days for a phone interview with the Program Assistant. The interview lasted about half an hour and was easy, accept for the fact that it was over the phone and sometimes it was hard to hear the questions.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in the position and what my experience was.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The interview was conducted on Skype and included two supervisors who asked thought-provoking questions which tested your wit and judgment. The interviewees did not dress formally and were pretty casual and humorous. The interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

It was completely unprofessional. I had no idea when the interview would be taking place or whether it would take longer than expected. Overall, I got through it because it was very easy and I could sweet talk the interviewers

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC).

Interview

I have never been through a more unprofessional interview than this one. The interviewer ended up being about 10 minutes late, but then continued throughout the entire length of the interview to remind me that we had to stick to a time schedule. They were constantly checking the time to see how much time was left. Two of the interviewers continued to bicker with each other throughout the interview which not only took away time from the "strict schedule" but showed a lack of professionalism making me question the work ethic of their employees. Questions were easy but for the interviewer continued to interrupt between each question before I had the opportunity to give my full response. I feel sorry for the person that they ended up hiring that has to work with them.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC).

Interview

Had two in-person interviews with the senior program manager at the American Coucils office. Questions included sharing my background and experience, capacity to problem solve and overcome challenges, and strengths and weaknesses. Was also asked to talk through how I would address a student case study. Staff was very genial and open to talking about the position and work culture.

Interview Questions

• Which community stakeholders would you engage in student communities?   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

I heard back initially from the organization for an interview, and one was set up in a reasonable amount of time. The initial interview was a one-on-one discussion with the program/hiring manager and lasted for well over an hour. Following that interview, I did not hear anything (even after a thank you follow-up). I then was contacted exactly a month later for a second interview, after I had written the position off (due to not hearing). I returned for a second interview to meet the rest of the team, as well as one of the organization's directors. I again sent follow up thank you notes and just never heard from the organization ever again. I have no doubt that the work that this organization does is meaningful (which was my reason to apply in the first place), but this was the most unprofessional interview process I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for American Councils?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

After submitting my application through the online system, I was contacted a week later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for a week after the initial email contact. Three staff from American Councils for International Education interviewed me, and they all took turns asking me questions. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes. I was told I would find out the results about 1 month after the interview, but I didn't hear back until about 2 months after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the position?   Answer Question
    • What experiences do you have in your current or previous jobs that have prepared you for the position you are applying for?   Answer Question
    • What is a challenge that you have faced, and how have you handled it?   Answer Question
    • What type of communicator are you, and do you work best in a group setting or as an individual?   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be the biggest challenge of the job?   Answer Question

Summer Resident Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Application was submitted online. Phone interview with all staff involved with administering the language programs. There was a troubleshooting essay question to complete about 2 weeks after. Following correspondence was electronically.