American Equity Mortgage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.2

Mortgage Originator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

3 phones screens, preceded by an 59 minute test that asked questions like: Would you rather be liked or be a friend? Would you rather be a good worker or a friend? If you had a friend would you have him apply? totally ridicoulous. Then the first interview was 15 minutes late, lasted an hour and spent the last 10 minutes rattling off your compensation plan. 30K and you have to pay them back for licensing which is $1400. although after confirming the testing center saw that it was $1200.hmmmm Then one more 15 minute screening then an in person.
    Met with branch head...sounded like a lot of "get er done" deals with people livin on the edge.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage.

Interview

The questions were easy enough but the process was long, I had to do 5 interviews and the sixth was a cultural fit interview with the branch manager. The process started with the talent acquisition manager this is where they get a fill for your background and talent for the position. If this goes well you will have the opportunity to speak with the area sales manager who will dig deeper into your experience and mindset, ( how would you handle this situation... what is the best way to set this up....)

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, why do you think this company is a good fit for you,...   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was straight forward, you have three options to choose from when it comes to salary, choices you will make are dependent on your situation coming into the company. Some people come with experience and a book of business some are new and need a salary to get started, it depends on you.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2016.

Interview

Had one small phone interview with an HR recruiter and a second one with the HR hiring manager. The phone interview was very well structured, informing me off all the duties my job would consist. Met with him two days later and it went smoothly.

Mortgage Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2016.

Interview

4 interviews, 3 were on the phone, 1 in person. They go over the culture and environment and ask a lot of questions. Typical interview. It was a very easy interview, but they made it sound like I wa going to work for a great company for above average pay.

Interview Questions

• They asked what drives me to succeed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Saint Louis, MO) in November 2015.

Interview

Personality Quiz, then on the phone interviews with the Sales Directors. Then you meet face to face and get to see what you will be doing. They want to make sure you understand what the job entails.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2015.

Interview

It started out with a phone screen which led to an in-person interview with the VP of Marketing. That was followed by a call with the VP of Sales as my role works closely with him. Lastly, I was invited back to meet the CEO, Deanna Daughhetee, in person. Once I completed that, I was offered the job later on the same day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

In the phone screen I gave a range. When offered the job, they came right in the middle. I was offered a role at another company that came in at the very top, but felt AEM was a better fit so I asked if they would match the offer and they did.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

They just want to hear that you're driven and money hungry. If you speak well and are confident you will have a great shot. You interview on the 12th floor in a nice office and see employees dressed well. It's only an illusion of success. Everyone working there makes 30K a year.

Interview Questions

• Provide examples of challenges you've faced and overcame along with production numbers of sales in the past.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

Licensed Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Brookfield, WI) in July 2013.

Interview

Alot of exaggerated promises about making 50-60K a year. You are only given a meak salary of 12.00/hr with overblown promises on making six figures a year if you do well.
    You will most likely only meet with the current branch manager for the interview - then have to go 3-4 weeks studying for the MLS license - so you wont even have a chance to start realy working till your 2nd or 3rd month.

Interview Questions

• You are then placed in a small office where the atmosphere is like that of a boiler room. You are expected to make between 90-100 calls a day and take at least 2 applications - or be leary of being fired. I cant tell you how many people have come in and out of that company...its rediculous.   Answer Question

because of all the negative reviews about the company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2013.

Interview

Branch manager called me about the position and asked about little bit more about the experience related to the position.Then called for an face to face interview at the Indianapolis office. After the interview he wanted to run my back ground check including credit score. I authorized them assuming I will be hired for the position.After that I had a 3H walk around.Finally after a weeks had an interview with VP and learned that they moved forward with another candidate after several attempts.

Interview Questions

• There is no specific questions. Mostly general questions related the field.   1 Answer

Loan Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Equity Mortgage in August 2012.

Interview

One in person interview and one phone interview.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Just be rah rah. That's what they want. They want young inexperienced easily impressionable types.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.