American Express Customer Care Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Customer Care Representative Interview Questions

2.6

Customer Care Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express in September 2015.

Interview

After I applied I had to do a visual interview, then I had a regular phone screening, which lead to a phone interview with a recruiter who then set up a physical interview. The recruiter didn't tell me who I was interviewing with so security didn't know who to contact. Director was late & didn't seem to want to be there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you defused an upset customer   Answer Question
  • There was role play where they requested that you act as though you were taking a phone call   Answer Question

When all was said & done I felt like I'd be starting at the bottom with a very difficult time to promote. I have ample experience. I wanted a job where I felt respected and valued. Amex is not that place. Like any call center, you are a number to fill their roster. Their background process is ridiculous & takes forever. They go through another company & it doesn't feel like anyone communicates with one another like they should.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, took a couple days, did a video interview then waited a few more days for a phone interview. Waited about a week or so to get an answer. The hiring process is pretty tedious and they take a while to get back to you since there are so many other candidates

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (West Valley City, UT) in September 2013.

Interview

Initially, there was an online application (very straight forward) and then an online assessment. You are require to complete the test/assessment before you submit the application. Although the test wasn't terribly difficult, there are certain sections I struggled with more than others (the math/logic test was moderately difficult and the personality questions were sometimes confusing). After submitting the application, I heard from someone at Amex within a few days. They scheduled a phone interview for the following day. The phone interview was about 25 minutes, consisted of very typical customer service experience questions, and at the end the interviewer (who was very kind) asked me if I could come in for an in person group interview the next week. The group interview was different, and kind of exciting. I was with 8 people, and after being introduced to 3 of the "team leaders", we were passed around (individually) between each of them and had a 10-15 minute interview. No part of the interview process took place with other candidates in the room, which was nice. Each team leader had different questions, and each one of them also asked that you provide them with a question or 2 of your own. I strongly recommend researching the company and the position you are applying for and writing down 6-7 good questions for them; things you actually are curious about or would like to understand better. After that (a 2 hour process in total), I recieved a call the next day with a verbal job offer. The background check and drug test process began the next week and and it took about a week and a half for everything to process and clear.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to succeed in your life?   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation - the offer I was given was very reasonable.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied online via americanexpress.com and took an hour long assessment which has multiple parts based on call scenarios, behavioral questions, and some arithmetic questions. The next day, I received a call to schedule a phone interview for the next day. I had the phone interview with a very pleasant young woman who asked many behavioral and experience based questions. I suggest you study the STAR method and jot down some examples ahead of time to prepare. A few hours after my phone interview, she called me back to schedule a face-to-face interview for the following day. She prepared me on how I should prepare and sent me the STAR method via email. I studied the company, their mission, what they stand for and strive for, and the position itself. They are such a wonderful company that i was very pleased to study about their history. My interview was with the Hiring Manager who asked me different behavioral questions and she was very polite as well. I received an offer right then and there and I was elated! Thank you American Express! I can't wait to be a part of the team. Good luck to all of you applying. Drug/Background/Education/Criminal test are the last step.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you planned a method or idea and it didn't work out the way you might have expected.   6 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation needed. I was more than pleased with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed about a month later by a recruiter. Had a phone interview. Was asked why wanted to work there and other behavioral questions. was called back the next day to set up and in person interview. She had told me to research the company website and learn something about the co. She had also said the questions would be similar to the ones she asked but they were all different aside from why do you want to work for us. Went in the next day for my interview. Interviewer was nice but not overly friendly. There were several behavioral interview questions. I don't know if its because I was a little nervous, but i found many of them to be a little difficult, at least with my work background. Make sure you ask questions at the end, doing your research helps with this.

Customer Care Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Be prepared for lots of role playing

Interview Questions

• The hardest part of my interview was that it took place during a halloween party - which means I was interviewed by someone dressed as a witch - very distracting   Answer Question

Negotiation

there wasn't one. I just took it. I needed a job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2013.

Interview

I got an e-mail from a recruiter, and scheduled a phone interview for the next day. The interviewer I spoke to was kind and courteous (I had pneumonia, and my voice was raspy -- she was understanding and sympathetic). She asked all of your usual BI questions, but when she asked if I had any questions she was unable to answer any of the ones I posed. As it turns out, she does not work for American Express, but a screening service.

Interview Questions

• It was most difficult to think of questions to ask after I found out she is not actually part of the company at all. It's a bit of a catch-22 because you can't just not have questions, but it seemed like all the information she had was readily availiable on their website. If you've done your research on the company you know as much as they do.   Answer Question

I got a promotion at my current employer.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2012.

Interview

Email sent to set up Phone interview, if that goes well Then you get an Interview with the hiring manager, if that goes well then you meet briefly with the Director of the Dept, then if that goes well you get a call within 23-72 hours with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Give a time where you had to complete a task that was difficult or challenging.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because the offer was unbeatable compared to other call centers.

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Plantation, FL) in July 2009.

Interview

Receive first interview over the phone, second interview is done on location after taking an assessment test. Then your job experience and qualifications are discussed and then your potential job description. Then you will discuss compensation. After this fact you will receive a job offer, and you may accept or decline.

Interview Questions

• The on-site assessment is pretty extensive.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy. They are willing to offer you what you're worth and they spare no expenses.

Anonymous Employee in Taylorsville, UT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Express (Taylorsville, UT) in April 2008.

Interview

The initial interview was with a very professional person, the people doing the 10 key test were very unprofessional. The assistant in the interview was someone who was just trying to get out of their job for an hour.

Interview Questions

• The questions were standard, what was your most difficult scenario and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, it was take it or leave it. They acted like they were better than anyone on the planet, which was a little disconcerting.