American Express Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated May 6, 2017

3.1

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview

Normal interview questions .Using the five star method. First there was the initial phone screen.Then interview with recruiter.The last stage was was interview with hiring manager. I enjoyed the experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to adapt to change.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2016.

Interview

First you do a virtual interview. If they like what they see, then the recruiter will schedule a phone interview with you. The interview was pretty basic. Customer service scenarios, take me through a situation "where you...", etc. My interview was going great and the recruiter was even asking if I'd be available to come in for a meet and greet with managers - then she said she quickly wanted to review my call metrics. Although I had outstanding call quality and call metrics in some previous roles, it had been several years since I'd been in those positions and I did not know the cold, hard call metric numbers. I felt the interview "go south" as soon as I was unable to provide them. My advice to anyone interviewing in the future - know your call metrics! ALL of them. This company is driven by the call metrics more than the call quality (the fact that I'd won 2 national awards for call excellence in the financial services industry did not impress without the call metrics). Hope this helps.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Express (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was seamless. There are several competency examinations to pick best candidates. Parts of the exams were timed and special attention was paid to ethical and moral standards and codes of conduct.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Atlanta, GA) in December 2015.

Interview

It took about four weeks to actually get an interview. After applying over and over again. I finally get picked to go to the next step. Must do an assessment in order to be hired

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Greensboro, NC).

Interview

There were 3 total interviews one phone/two face to face the 3rd was about 1hr long. Most of the questions were basic why do you want to work at American Express? How would you be an asset to the company?

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

Took a hour plus test before I could get an interview. Had a phone interview after passing the test. Went to a round Robin interview and was hired. There is a lengthy background check as well

Interview Questions

• To role play that a customera son was calling in to pay his sick father's bill   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Initial contact took about 2 months from when I first applied. Job offered was a different position than originally posted. I reapplied for the position that was available and was interviewed twice within one week.
    Following week I was interviewed again. Questions were relating to my work history, ways that problems may have been solved in the past, etc. I felt the interviews were thorough and brought out the best and worst parts of my work history.
    The interview process to background check are very thorough. This worked for me because I am responsible and worked with customers directly for a long time.

Interview Questions

• Summarized: Describe a scenario where you implemented a new policy or procedure with a company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

Very intense but friendly. They expect you to research the star method for answering their questions. That is how the questions have to be answered for them to consider you so make sure you study hard on them. They expect you to research that and their questions.

Interview Questions

• When have I had to use my service skills in a difficult situation with an upset person.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by phone to setup a phone interview for the following day

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in February 2013.

Interview

I filled out an application on the American Express website and uploaded my resume... Once you fill out the application you are going to be prompted to take an assessment. You'll receive an email confirming that your application was received. If you don't past the assessment i believe you'll also receive an email saying that you were not considered for the position. Then you'll either receive an email or phone call to set up a time for a telephone interview with an HR recruiter. My phone interview lasted around 30 mins. Be prepared to speak about your prior work history. Question:Tell me more about each position and why you moved on or wish to do so and if we were to call your prior place of employment what would they rate you from a 1-10 and why. Another question was What made you apply for this specific position? She asked me I think like 5 or six behavioral type of questions. Some of the questions were: Tell me about a time you provided extraordinary customer service? Describe a time when you displayed creativity in solving a problem or improving a process? If you pass the phone interview, the hr recruiter will set you up for a face to face interview. I recommend that you dress to impress... In this interview you meet with the hiring manager. The hiring manger is going to asked you the same type of questions, make sure you answer the questions using the star method... Google it, if you are unfamiliar with the method. After the interview with the hiring manager, you meet with the director briefly. They told me it can take up two weeks for a decision. I actually received my job offer on my way back home from the interview. If you don't get the job, they will send you an email advising you that they decided to go with other candidates. If anyone has any additional questions, comment on my post and i'll try to get back. Make sure that you also asked questions during the interviews... Sound upbeat and energized... Thank god i did not have a group panel type of interview, I hate those interviews. It is a possibility that when you go in for your face to face that it will be a group panel style of interview. Good-luck.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you used your communication skills to influence someone’s decision? Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone to see things your way?   3 Answers

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, I was very satisfied with the offer. i believe the minimum you are started off with is $15.76. Every city or state might be different, I'm in Florida. However, if you have experience the rate will increase. I was started off at almost $18.00 an hour.