American Express Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2017

3.2

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (Lafayette, LA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied in early September 2017, this is literally my 3rd time applying. A week after applying, I was invited to take the skills level test. About 3 days later, I was called by a recruiter who then schedule a 45 minute preliminary interview with her the next day. The interview was intense with a lot of scenario based questioning. She also called 15 minutes LATER than the agreed upon interview time which I felt was very unprofessional. Approximately a week later, I participated in a panel style interview with about 6 other candidates. This interview was weird to say the least. We all gave a brief intro of ourselves, and then moved around to different hiring managers as if we were competing for the position. A week later, I received an email stating I would be moved to the final round of interviewing. For this interview I spoke one on with an American Express customer service manager. He seemed to be impressed with me, and told me I answered all of the questions well but appeared to be a bit nervous. Four days after the interview, I received a weird email stating because I claimed on my application that I was not eligible to work in the U.S, I would not be considered for the position?? I have been a U.S. citizen all of my life, and have NEVER indicated that I was not. I do believe that American Express has racist hiring managers. They are looking for that certain demographic that I proudly do not fit. I thank God that I will be graduating from college in 2 months. I hope to never have to be degraded again by scam companies offering employment based on ethnicity ever again! P.S. I have over 15 years of customer service experience, and a Bachelor's degree.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to overcome a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Okay process. Different. Switching rooms online was bit much but it was ok. You were answering questions with other people on the line with you. Be prepared to follow the star method. If you don't know, learn it because you will need it

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview

Normal interview questions .Using the five star method. First there was the initial phone screen.Then interview with recruiter.The last stage was was interview with hiring manager. I enjoyed the experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to adapt to change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2016.

Interview

First you do a virtual interview. If they like what they see, then the recruiter will schedule a phone interview with you. The interview was pretty basic. Customer service scenarios, take me through a situation "where you...", etc. My interview was going great and the recruiter was even asking if I'd be available to come in for a meet and greet with managers - then she said she quickly wanted to review my call metrics. Although I had outstanding call quality and call metrics in some previous roles, it had been several years since I'd been in those positions and I did not know the cold, hard call metric numbers. I felt the interview "go south" as soon as I was unable to provide them. My advice to anyone interviewing in the future - know your call metrics! ALL of them. This company is driven by the call metrics more than the call quality (the fact that I'd won 2 national awards for call excellence in the financial services industry did not impress without the call metrics). Hope this helps.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Express (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was seamless. There are several competency examinations to pick best candidates. Parts of the exams were timed and special attention was paid to ethical and moral standards and codes of conduct.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Atlanta, GA) in December 2015.

Interview

It took about four weeks to actually get an interview. After applying over and over again. I finally get picked to go to the next step. Must do an assessment in order to be hired

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Greensboro, NC).

Interview

There were 3 total interviews one phone/two face to face the 3rd was about 1hr long. Most of the questions were basic why do you want to work at American Express? How would you be an asset to the company?

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

Took a hour plus test before I could get an interview. Had a phone interview after passing the test. Went to a round Robin interview and was hired. There is a lengthy background check as well

Interview Questions

• To role play that a customera son was calling in to pay his sick father's bill   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Initial contact took about 2 months from when I first applied. Job offered was a different position than originally posted. I reapplied for the position that was available and was interviewed twice within one week.
    Following week I was interviewed again. Questions were relating to my work history, ways that problems may have been solved in the past, etc. I felt the interviews were thorough and brought out the best and worst parts of my work history.
    The interview process to background check are very thorough. This worked for me because I am responsible and worked with customers directly for a long time.

Interview Questions

• Summarized: Describe a scenario where you implemented a new policy or procedure with a company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

Very intense but friendly. They expect you to research the star method for answering their questions. That is how the questions have to be answered for them to consider you so make sure you study hard on them. They expect you to research that and their questions.

Interview Questions

• When have I had to use my service skills in a difficult situation with an upset person.   Answer Question