American Express Finance Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Finance Manager Interview Questions

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got an interview with HR for a phone screen. Process took about a week. Very smooth and accommodating. Basic background questions about current and prior work experiences. Asked if I am comfortable with the salary range of the position. HR person said they will get back to me within a week for next steps. Interview time was about 20 minutes. I asked a few questions about the role in specific and also the advancement opportunity within the company which was answered to my expectation.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Manager Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Very informal. Typical phone screenings with HR. I was brought onsite for 2 face-to-face interviews with the hiring manager and a team member, that seemed to go very well. I was invited to meet with 2 members of their leadership team, but due to a freeze on hiring external candidates (due to reorganization activities), all activities were abandoned abruptly.

Overall, the early stages of the interview process, as well as the actual interviews themselves, were very pleasant. One major negative is that recruitment and the leadership at American Express lack communication and are not aligned with each other (at least that's how it seems outwardly). This role should have never been posted for external candidates with a looming reorganization on the horizon. Shame on American Express for not aligning their recruitment team to the dynamics of the business, and consequently, wasting my time.

Interview Questions

• What are some key variables you would use to segment consumers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position through my MBA career services listing. They accepted my resume and invited me for an on-campus interview. I interviewed with 2 people on campus and then was invited for a full day final round of interviews in New York. The day started with breakfast and then we had a series of meetings with 3 or 4 different interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What niche do you think that American Express fits into in the overall market and what steps do you think the company should take to maintain that position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

The first interview with the hiring manager was purely behavior, essentially walking through my resume and prior experiences. After a few days I was called back to meet the area VP. This meeting was basically more of the same, but involved a couple of light case questions. I received an offer about a week afterwards. The best advice is to remain flexible as if your are a good candidate, but not a fit for that specific role, your resume may be passed along to another team with a similar opening.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you working with financial systems and are you willing to learn how to use new ones?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Human Resources contacted me to discuss my background and salary requirement. Interviewed with two people. One my current leader, another a business partner.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any question difficult to answer. It was mostly about my past experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

This was very straight forward, interviewed with the person who would be my boss, a Director. And two VPs. They asked behavioral questions and also some technical ones, about Finance and about the industry. Everything as expected. I was surprised that I didn't have to interview with HR, which I liked because sometimes I feel that HR just adds a bunch of bureaucracy to interview processes.

Interview Questions

• Description of experience.
      P&L component and analysis.
      Talk about past work challenges and how I solved them.
      Talk about past projects in the financial industry.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Different interview styles - 1) Technical - excel, powerpoint, charts ; 2) Relationships - build and maintain relationships; 3) Communication - can you communicate well to leaders

Interview Questions

• What is your development for the last couple of years and what have you done to address it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

An offer was made and I accepted. No negotiations

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Campus recruitment - brief and meet in October when they short list candidates for interview. 2 back to back interviews in January ( both interviews are behavioral and situational plus a mini case related to card industry finance.

Interview Questions

• If marketing came up to you looking for a budget for an A&P plan, what factors would you consider befOre advising them   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in December 2008.

Interview

Met with a peer within the team and then with the director of the group.
    Subsequently met with the VP who had some concerns that I had previously been at a higher level in the company.
    Interviews were not too tough, focussed on some leadership as well as some technical questions. Did not talk about future or where I wanted to be moving forward.
    Needed to convince why the role was right for me.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a situation where you have had to deal with a problem with a lack of information. What did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little flexibility in negotiation of offer.
    Some verbal agreements were even later omitted.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2008.

Interview

2 rounds interview. First one with the hiring leader and a peer; second one with the VP.

Interview Questions

• Expect questions that demonstrate you understand the company's business models; P&L drivers. Being able to explain the company's business strategy is key to stand out, e.g. what is the P&L driver?   1 Answer