American Express Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

Process was very detailed and focused on many aspects of my career. Wanted multiple references.
Also met with multiple people on several occasions. I would say it is a worthwhile process, although it took several rounds to get through the process. I would suggest detailed preparation for the interviews.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

First Round: Digital interview, mostly behavioral, basic finance/accounting qs. Hear back in 2 weeks.
    Second Round: Super Day in office (3 weeks after first round), consisted of case study identifying business exposures and macroeconomic climate going forward

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you failed and how you fixed the problem.
      On the spot case study
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

Very straightforward: mostly fit and behavioral questions. Interviewers want to get to know you and your back ground. The interview typically takes half hour with four people for Financial Analyst and Senior Financial Analyst roles: two managers and two directors.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself in five years? Tell me about your background.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

Three person panel interview. Prior to that you sit on a room with the other candidates as you are monitored by an employee of the team. They kept moving us from room to room and asking personal questions about our athletic background, whether or not we were transplants and other small talk type questions. My recruiter didn't tell me this was a panel interview so be prepared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process was really good. After a leadership talk over breakfast, they segregated us into groups based on our specialization. There were two behavioral interviews for the financial analyst role. Questions ranged from standard behavioral questions about the company and the role to specific questions like card payment services and operations. The only blip was we weren't sure how and when to leave after the interviews. We just walked out of the building ourselves .

Interview Questions

• Describe the different kinds of financial analysis you have done   Answer Question
    • How do you evaluate the card payment/revenue model of American Express   Answer Question
    • What does leadership mean to you   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I was very far away, so all my interviews were done over the phone. I had two rounds with two 30 minute interviews for each round (2 managers, then 2 directors). The questions were somewhat challenging for students with no practical experience, which is a good thing! The interviews were over two or three weeks, but the entire process from applying online to getting notice of interview to interviewing to offer took about 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Pick a company. Tell us what you think their P&L looks like from a high level.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with 4 people separately, and received detailed questions about the position and was able to convey how I could help them succeed.

Interview Questions

• Are you a detail oriented type of person or a big picture type of person?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

First was contacted by HR for a phone interview. Then followed by an interview with the hiring manager. The second interview was with the director and VP.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had any hobbies.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The first time they called was to set up a phone interview a week later. The interview was about a half hour. After that, i waited on a scheduler, they set up an in person interview. Once there I met with the finance manager and team manager. They asked very few questions, more compliance questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I knew what an accrual was. It was so unexpected and considering it is the most common thing it threw me off.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2012.

Interview

Submit application online; vetted by HR; Receive call from HR; Recieve information for an in-person interview; Return for 2nd (both interviews are with STAR based questions); Formal background and drug test; Verbal extension for employment to discuss salary, etc.; Upon agreement a formal offer of employment is extended

Interview Questions

• 99% of questions are situational or STAR (I believe Situation, Task, Action, Response)   1 Answer