American Express Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 3, 2017

2.8

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

No technical questions asked in both on-campus interview and on-site interview.
Basically, they went through resume. And ask questions about your experience.
It seems to me that they prefer people with good communication skills.
You have the chance to ask current employees about their roles in American express in the super day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I met with American Express representatives at a school career fair, and scheduled an interview with them the next day. This first round of interviews consisted of 30 minutes of resume review and logic questions, and another 30 minutes of writing programs on paper. It was absurdly easy. Basic intro class stuff. The second interview I had with them was at a "Super Day." That was a 5 hour event of an individual interview (similar format to the first interview), an online coding assessment, and an online group coding assessment (in a group of 4-5). The coding assessments were much harder, and possibly harder than any technical interview I had ever done.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I Interviewed for a Software Engineering Internship position. I talked to American Express at my university's career fair then scheduled to interview with them on campus a few days later. On campus interview was very easy (Do you know java, how do you make a class...) with a few logical questions. I was next asked to visit their 'Super Day' at the Phoenix Office. The Super Day event was much more difficult than any of the previous interviews and was pretty disorganized. There was a coding challenge which required dynamic programming (which no one completed in 30 minutes), additionally there was a 1 on 1 interview where the interviewer seemed bored out of their mind (similar easy java questions to on campus interview). Lastly there was a 'Team Hackerrank' where you and a random team of a few other people (also interviewing for the intern SWE position) with a question full of typos (Index starting at 0 at one line, starting at 1 on another, impossible to tell which was correct...), very few teams even understood the problem and my team's moderator actually got extremely upset at us. And yet they gave me an offer... Weird process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express (Austin, TX).

Interview

Applied via university career fair. Had on campus interview, and spoke with two interviewers. One technical and one behavioral. The questions were basic questions about java and sql, but there were also cognitive questions that were pretty tricky. After that, the behavioral questions came and the whole interview process took about an hour an a half.

Interview Questions

• How many times does the minute hand and the hour hand touch each other in one day?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in February 2016.

Interview

Went to career fair and got interview the next day on campus. Interview was split into two 30 minute sections. First was asking more logic questions, seeing how you think, as well as your knowledge of Java. Second was asking more behavioral questions like about teamwork, things on your resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied through my school career fair and got an interview for the next day. Fast process and nice people, overall a good experience and a lot of logic questions rather than programming questions

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express (Tempe, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

The first interview consisted of an on-campus 90 minute sitdown with two developers. The first half was comprised of behavioral questions, and the second was technical. After this, I was invited to the Scottsdale office for another 90 minute interview, which was largely the same process. It was a fairly routine pool of questions on either end of the spectrum, and nothing came as a surprise. I have my suspicions that the last interviewer of the second day was intentionally hostile to gauge how well prospective interns handle pressure in a work environment.

Interview Questions

• (NP-complete question listing several items and their corresponding weights) You want to know the best way to fill a backpack. How many of each item i with weight w should be added to best fill the space?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

Very friendly.. Some technical questions like data structures... The first half of the interview was behavioural.. And the second half was technical.. Each were about 45 mins long.. Fairly straight forward questions

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume at campus career fair. There are two round interviews. First one is on campus, second one is on site. Both one have the same format. You will interview with two person back to back. Each person will talk to you about 30-40 mins with both behavior question and technical question. They are friendly and the question is not very difficult. They have a sheet, basically they ask you questions following that sheet. I did well in the first round, so I was selected for the second round on site interview. I was asked for some specific question about Java which I did not know. I think it is the main reason why I did not get the offer. Overall, it is a nice experience. If you prepare well, I think you can make it.

Interview Questions

• Some specific question about Java. They are not difficult, but I just did bot know.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Career services sent out a link to apply. Went to their office visit. Signed up for virtual coffee chat and got advice from the person for the interview process. Highly recommended for those outside AmEx's recruiting schools to follow up with someone who works at the business unit you want to intern at.