American Express Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017
1,282 Interview Reviews

1. Featured Interview

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in January 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview, followed by an in person by the hiring manager. Then a 2nd interview with the hiring manager & the final interview with the Director. The entire process took about six weeks.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about American Express & why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Overall it was very manageable. During the in-person interview, I met with 3 interviewers and then a bunch of other team members just to get to know each other. It wasn't too intense, but I still felt like they gave me a chance to really prove that I deserved the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in HR?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

Met the recruiter at a Career Fair and signed up for an interview the next day.
    The interview was 30 min behavioral and 30 min technical.
    Made it through that and got a fly out to the Super Day.

4 hour long process at the fly out
    - Behavioral 1 on 1 for an hour
    - 1 coding challenge on Hacker Ranks alone for an hour
    - 1 coding question in a group of 4-6 people with a more difficult question for an hour
    - Then for the rest of the time you walk around their facility

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview began with a walk through of my CV. This was followed by general competancy questions. This was followed by a presentation of analysis completed in a previous role. I guess they were looking to get a sense of each candidates analytical skills. Finally, it finished with questions for the interviewers.

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

The process took forever! I applied online on early December in additional to an internal referral. I got a quick reply from the HR/Recruiter (with AMEX use an external agency), the recruiter did a quick 10-min interview about my background and the basic info. A week later, I got another call from a different recruiter, asked me the same basic questions. A week later, got a phone interview scheduled with the hiring manager. No status or anything after the phone interview. Totally thought I bombed it. With the holidays, I gave it a couple weeks before hearing back. Never heard back, i followed up with the recruiter, was told the hiring leader is on PTO, waiting for her to return. Two weeks went by, nothing. Then another two weeks went by, finally got an email from ANOTHER recruiter (third recruiter), asking my availability for 2.5 hours in-person interview in the NYC office. Told her my availability, never hear back, had to follow up again. Finally got the interviews scheduled, traveled all the way to NYC (WITH NO REIMBURSEMENT OF TRAVEL). Thought the interviews went okay, mostly behavior questions, people were nice to talk with.

A week went by, didn't hear anything. I got an offer from another company, but i wanted this position because it sounds interesting based on the description. Followed up with the hiring leader, NO REPLY. Followed up with one other person. NO REPLY. Finally days later, I got a message from AMEX saying "Your application has been cancelled, and your position will not be filled at this time."

Please work on the communication! I wasted more than TWO months on this one position, working with three HR people, went through 2.5HR interviews, had the most patience and positivity, BUT GOT A HUGE RUDE REJECTION EMAIL IN RETURN. It seems they didn't want to hire anyone in the first place, should have communicated to me and not wasted my time.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process took almost one month. I was referred by a friend. First I got a email the HR wanted to interview me on the next day, but she disappeared the next day. Later on she contacted me again and we talked about 5 minutes on the phone. Two weeks later I was informed to have an on-site interview with the senior manager and the director. Senior manager asked me some technical things, and the director asked behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Had two separate phone interviews on the same day both with associates. Both were mainly behavioral questions with only one or two technical questions. Overall not to difficult and the interviews were very polite but just did not fit the frims culture

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I had 4 rounds of interviews during the recruitment process. Competency based questions - why Amex? Why now? Key strengths and weaknesses for the candidate. I also did 2 case interviews that involved the card industry.

Interview Questions

• Why would you choose to work for Amex and what makes Amex different from Visa and Mastercard?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

4 rounds of interview including a HR screening. Case study and general competency questions. Important to know the culture of the company and the 3 party model and how Amex is different from Visa and Mastercard and other issuers. Important to know why you want to work at Amex and why the culture is right for you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for American Express and how will you add value in your role   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American Express (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

It was smooth. There were two rounds. Both were similar. I had no technical round to my surprise.
    Just case study that too for 10 minutes to see the approach of work and behavioral questions.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at American Express (New Delhi (India)) in January 2017.

Interview

Telephonic - 2 Rounds (Manager and Director) in the Risk Team
    It was more related the prior work experience and basic statistical techniques like Linear Regression, Logistic Regression. Also, a case study and few puzzles were asked.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself, Give a detailed explanation of the past projects, etc   Answer Question