American Express Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017
1,287 Interview Reviews

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter for an interview. Recruiter screening was an hour long interview. A couple of weeks after was contacted for a follow-up interview with the hiring manager. That was another hour long interview - went through my qualifications, the role responsibilities, and then behavioral interview questions

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager reviewed the role; went through my qualifications and then asked 4 behavioral questions   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

American Express uses the Situation - Action - Outcome model where they ask you to tell about a time that .... and your answer needs to be in the format Describe the Situation, What Action did You Take, What was the Outcome?

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a direct report who was not meeting expectations?   Answer Question

Business Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Miami, FL).

Interview

Asking questions to see if I can last a conversation. SIMPLE. Have a cold call before. Do I see myself doing my job. What have you done in the last job?

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Two back-to-back interviews with both behavioural and case interview questions. The behavioural ones are ok/easy, but those case interview questions are definitely harder. You have to know AMEX's products well enough to answer those questions. Also, I feel like they really care about anything relates to integrity. Be prepared to answer questions that "tell me about a time you betray your moral conducts" or something similar to that.

Interview Questions

• How do you drive up the revenue we can get from supermarkets?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

There were two rounds. One on campus interview and one Superday at the office in NYC. The first was two 30 minute interviews and the superday was two 45 minute interviews. Each of the interviews required me to answer both behavioral and hypothetical case questions. The case questions were very vague and really served to show how I thought not necessarily the quality of my answers. The best way to prepare for the interview is to know your resume front and back and how each experience would make you a good candidate for the job youre going out for. Also, I would do a lot of research about the company. Know how they use big data, the closed loop system, and the purpose of coffee chats. I would also know a few programs they do outside of their core business model like their 1:1 model and small business saturdays. The more you show you know about the company the better you will look!

Interview Questions

• We are introducing a new corporate card for the healthcare industry. How would you gage the success of the card and how would you know whether or not to implement this campaign into the market.   Answer Question
    • We are having trouble having customers use their Amex cards at supermarkets. How would you have card holders make more purchasers there?   Answer Question
    • What is a time you've an encountered an unethical decision or have done something unethical and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • How does your experience prove you deserve a job at American Express   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my salary.

Collections Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

First I applied online for the customer care position, which is a process in and of itself. You have to take fake phone calls, then theres a typing assessment, followed by a math and logical assessment. Was then contacted for a virtual interview but before the day was over I was contacted to schedule a phone interview. The following day I completed both the phone and virtual interview, and was told I'd have an answer in two days. I felt confident about the phone interview but not about the virtual one. They give you 3 mins during the virtual interview to answer a question that only takes 30 seconds, so I left feeling that I hadn't said as much as I could have. Two days later there was a hurricane so I wasn't sure if that was why I hadn't yet received a call or email, so I emailed the guy I had the phone interview with and he said to give it a week, and that they’d be in touch. He called me himself to give me the details of the meet and greet three days from then. At the meet and greet the security guard told me there would be 7 people, but I guess only 6 showed up. We didn’t start until 30 minutes past the invited time (Noon.) We were led to a room with a large rectangular table where we all sat down, and 5 interviewers cam and sat down in chairs across from us. They each asked a question, repeated the question, then chose one of us by random until we had all answered said question. 5 questions total, and this took an hour and 15 minutes to complete. We were told at the end of the interview we’d have a call by 4, at 4:30 I received a call asking if I’d be interested in a collection specialist position based on my past experience. I said yes and accepted another group interview for a few days later. This group interview was different and worked like speed dating, where we were never supposed to sit next to the same person twice, but not everyone showed up. Instead we sat at a random table and for every round we moved to the right. There were 5 hiring managers and they each asked a different question, and I didn’t feel they really pretained to the job. They told us at the end we would hear back in 24-48 hours, but the woman who escorted us out said not to be worried if we didn’t hear back tomorrow. I heard back the following day with an offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

After applying, you may or may not be called to request an interview. If you are called, it is just to as a prelude. It is not the actual interview. The first call is just to ask a few questions and determine if they want to proceed with the interview process. A few preliminary questions are asked and you are advised that if you are scheduled for a second interview that they use the STAR method of interviewing. If you get the second interview, it is very intense, with many questions and scenarios. After that interview, if they want to hire you, then they will be back in touch with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an interaction with an irate caller and how you handled the call.   1 Answer

Software Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

They asked a lot of Java questions and some behavioral questions. Know how to write basic Java classes and some design patterns. Hackerrank type questions weren't really focused on.

They seem to really like asking open ended questions. Keep in mind you don't have to give the right answer but the right thought process. You can give random numbers and even if it's right it's meaningless.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter. Did phone nterview and then was invited to a group nterview with about 12 other applicants. This was different for me but I also enjoyed it because of the competition

Industrial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Met them at the University Career Fair. Got an on campus interview. Then, they called me back for the second interview in their offices, and now I'm waiting to hear back. The interview was fair, first they ask the traditional questions, and then they moved to behavioral and situational questions. I was also asked to solve a math problem and walked them through. Last, they asked about Excel experience and Q&AS.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What motivates you?
      Tell me about a time you've improve something?
      Tell me about a time you had a lot of stress?
      1 Answer