American Express Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.8

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Interview

I had a bunch of phone interviews and onsite interviews with the team ,lot of questions about my previous experience and jobs were the primary focus . A lot of technical questions related to my job role

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in February 2016.

Interview

Had 3 rounds of interviews with about 3 people each. Each interview is scheduled for 30 minutes at a time. You have to be sure to sell yourself in a short period of time. The process is long. You have to be very patient, which can be difficult. They really vet their candidates to make sure you will fit in. Not only about skills, personality is important too. HR was in contact the entire time. Good communication.

Interview Questions

• Why American Express?

Tell me a time when...(be ready for situational questions)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I went through 4 separate rounds:

1) phone screening with HR;
    2) hiring manager and senior person in the team;
    3) another senior person based in different location
    4) two senior persons in internal business partner and again with HR and hiring manager

All the above process took 3 weeks but for the following 2 weeks no feedback. On the day exactly two weeks since the last interview, I contacted HR to ask about any update. HR asked me my best time for phone call and I responded with two options. Unfortunately, they never called me.

I was wondering if it is common for an employer never to give an update after a long interview processes. It might be relatively fair to get no response after online application or initial phone-screening interview only but my situation is having gone through 4 rounds of interview and presumably I am one of finalists. But they never called me even after arranging phone call day/time with me. I waited the entire afternoon that day for them to call or email me on any update because they said they will call me on the day they are supposed to reach out to me.

Anyone experienced the same thing?

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

multi step, several interviews, HR, hiring manager, other team members, well organized, orderly - enjoyed process, limited tour of facility, waited for response, took a bit longer than expected but received contact, professional...........................................

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

Contact by Amex through campus recruiting, process took about 2 months from Nov, 2014 to early Jan, 2015. Several rounds of phone interview with behavioral and technical questions, a full day onsite interview with 4-5 sessions on solving technical questions, project presentation and leadership interview.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Varies by group, most are 4-5 30min interviews with various peers or leaders to get your honest responses. What you should say varies by group so reach out to individuals before hand to truly understand the culture.

Interview Questions

• What is an opportunity area.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

I received a call from the Recruiter who actually works for AllegisTalent2, not American Express. I found him to be extremely cocky on the phone and way too casual. The best way I can describe the conversation... he spoke to me like I was a buddy hanging out with him at a bar or in a frat house. Odd. Anyway, my resume was forwarded to the Hiring Manager. I had a phone screen with the Hiring Manager. Subsequently, I followed up with the Recruiter 2x and never heard back from him.

Amex has such a great reputation. But I must say that after speak to the Recruiter, who represents Amex, I was a bit turned off.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions regarding work history and experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

after a few phoners, brought in one day to meet three people in a row, successively higher up. the highest up one was really just a formality. the opinion of the others was what mattered.

Interview Questions

• example of thinking outside the box to solve a problem   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview was with a panel of leaders and behavioral based questions were used. The core competencies of the job was the main focus of the interview. The leadership team excellent with explaining the interview process including timeline and next steps. It was a good experience..

Interview Questions

• How are you described as a leader? Provide an example of how you have managed conflict with your peers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Good discussion.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

the interview process was good. it was a phone screen. They asked a lot of interesting questions. The company is a good company. The role was a challenging role. They followed up with another interview.