American Express Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.9

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screen – 2 weeks, In person - 4 weeks.

The next day following the in person interview I received a congratulations email with a note that I’d have a job offer by the end of the day, then the next day another saying I would get the offer by the end of the week, and then another saying it may take up to 2 weeks. It’s now been more than a month and I’ve not heard anything at all. Not even an email letting me know that the position was closed or that they changed their mind. All very unprofessional in my opinion, especially for such a large company with an automated hiring system.

Interview Questions

• General project management questions; how to handle requirements, relationships and budgets.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I was asked to give complete past project details and also provide and insight into my role specifically as a Project Manager. They also checked my inter personal, communication and presentation skills. After a detailed discussion on 3 rounds I was interviewed finally by the Director. Good experience overall.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Came into the company as a contractor. No formal interview process was required. Hiring process takes too long, it is very slow to set everything up. Login IDs and harware took even longer. Very inept.

Negotiation

Negotiated with my contracting company.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2013.

Interview

Had a phone screen first, then went for an onsite interview. met with the hiring director then with 2 VPs later that afternoon. questions were technical focused but very straight forward.

Interview Questions

• how did you use data to make decisions & Difficult challenge and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Express (Sunrise, FL) in September 2013.

Interview

I had 5 interviews... I have heard that this change depending of the group you are entering to.
    First and Second Interview: Recruiter
    Third Interview: Future Manager
    Fourth Interview: Two Directors in the group
    Fifth Interview: Vice President

Interview Questions

• Pretty much STAR questions...
      Tell me about a time when you found a problem, how you fixed it, what are the results?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Was informed of position thru networking. Three interviews. First and second interview were standard; part behavioral and technical. Third interview was with VP, which was more "meet & greet".

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview only. The position wasn't true project management, it was more of an analyst role in the Program Management Office for Global Business Travel. There were two interviews, each with a Director-level person. Very light conversation and not at all heavy on technical or Senior PM activities and duties.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in a PMO?   1 Answer
    • Describe some projects you've managed   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview process was a phone screening and then a panel interview with two other people. I think that my unwillingness to start right away was the downfall of my interview.

I do think that American Express is a great company and would like to have the ability to interview with them again.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

American Express outsourced external recruiting to a third-party. My interview process consisted of a phone screen, which was unscheduled. I didn't feel like she had enough technical knowledge about the position, skills and experience that she was looking for. My phone interview with the hiring manager and another manager was great. As a last step, I had an in-person interview, which was also a great experience.

Throughout the process, the recruiter repeatedly made admin/scheduling snafu, which should have been a red flag to me. Then, she tried to convince me to consider a more junior role for what she said to be "similar pay" (I found out later than the pay would have been much less and the benefit structure would have been anything but similar). The recruiter and another colleague of hers that I also interfaced with were very inconsistent in their communication (should have been another red flag). They both seemed equally confused when I asked them details about my benefits. I had to call a couple different numbers to find out about the 401k matching, bonus structure, and other benefits. Lastly, the recruiter flat out lied to me and said that my offer could not be raised any more due to it being somewhat in the higher end of the salary range for my band level. Later, I found out that my salary was in the lower end of the range. I would strongly suggest taking detailed notes throughout the process and to follow up with the hiring organization directly if you have questions.

Overall, the people at Amex itself seem to be very collaborative and competent. There's a great work-life balance. It seems to be a great company to work for if you are not concerned about banking top dollars but rather would like to explore different career options (lateral move is very encouraged), maintain an active life outside of work, and be happy at work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

American Express will ask you for specific dollar figure that you are looking for very early in the process. You should be prepared to provide a good estimate from your very first phone screen. You should ask very detailed questions about your compensation, benefits, position, and band level --- and take really good notes of this (record the conversation if you are having this conversation with the recruiter).

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express in January 2016.

Interview

4 rounds of interviews, phone, panel, standard competency related questions, SVP super friendly, great conversations throughout interviews. Decision made very quick, looking forward to start the new role, great company to work for

Interview Questions

• How to prioritise multiple requests at same time and what's the most effective method of communication   Answer Question