American Express Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 4, 2016

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a video call. The interview concentrated on basics in Java, Spring, Angular JS, webservices and Javascript. Concepts like serialization, list vs set vs map, thread, bean scopes, endpoint(ws), frameworks used to implement SOAP, REST in JAX-WS, JAX-RS, IOC, etc.

Interview Questions

• Difference between Volatile and transient   Answer Question
  • why do you synchronize method.   Answer Question
  • Program. Write a code for following.
    for string=1462 calculate from right most to left in this manner 2+(6*2)+4+(1*2) [where every II, Iv, vi, .. should be multiplied by 2 and the sum should be divided by10 if quotient is 0 then print true otherwise false
    1462=2+(6*2)+4+(1*2) = 20%10=0 (true)
    1764526=6+(2*2)+5+(4*2)+6+(7*2)+1=44%10!=0(false)
    Answer Question
  • difference between BigDecimal and BigInt   Answer Question
  • Difference between DepthFirstSearch and Breath First Search   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2015.

Interview

American Express has a unique interview process in that the first interview is conducted as an automated video conference. You receive an email with a link to the video conference web site. At the time of your choosing you click on the link to start the interview process. You can do this any time day or night. You must have a web cam and microphone in order to do this. You should pay attention to what the web cam will see, as well as the lighting and setup. You can see what the web cam sees.

The interview questions are pre-arranged and consist of technical questions related to the position, which you answer by multiple choice or by typing, and general tell-me-about-yourself questions that you answer while being recorded by the web cam. Each question is timed. Your interview is stored and may be shared with other hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• They asked various technical questions related to the position. IE, for a Java position they ask technical Java questions. Some were trivial while others were a bit challenging.

The other questions were general things such as "Describe an obstacle you had to overcome and how you overcame it."
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Contacted by recruiter for this position. Had an initial talk with Recruiter on phone.
    2. Interview Coordinator emailed me about the technical interview on phone
    3. Went thru technical interview and the interviewer said on spot that he will recommend me for further rounds
    4. They called me for onsite interview at Phoenix, AZ
    5. Recruiter told me that there can one round or two rounds based on interview panel. Later I figured that based on the performance in the first round, they will perform second round. If the first round do no go well, they will not waste time in second round. They might just skip it.
    6. They sent me flight tickets and made arrangements for my travel from airport to AMEX campus.
    7. Arrived at campus in time and interviewers arrived on time
    8. First round: Cognitive Skills: Two interviewers came: They will ask you 2 questions. First one is an open ended question testing your thinking capability. Your thought process matters than the result for this question. Second one will be a project problem to be solved. They will give you a problem statement. You are expected to ask questions to understand their system and approach a solution.
    I did perform great (at least as per me) in this round.
    9. Second Round: Behavioural & Resume Walk thru round:Another two interviewers came in and first two left: Based on your performance on first round, they will continue this round. They will ask you lot of questions on various situations. I observed that they will ask you regular expected behavioural questions in a twisted way. So, questions might sound new to you but they are all same expected questions.
    I think I did well in this interview too. They said I will get to know the results in 3-4 working days.
    Got email from AMEX in 4 days saying that I'm not selected for this position. I thought I did well in all rounds of interviews but may be I'm missing something which they were specifically looking for this role. Its hard to guess the reason for rejection when you performed good.

Interview Questions

• Behavioural Round: It is really difficult to guess whether you performed good in this round as your answers might be interpreted in different ways by different interviewers. There are no perfect answers. Do your best and leave the rest to your luck.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2011.

Interview

Recruiter contacted,
    Phone interview,
    In House interview.

Interview Questions

• There was an analytical round, i was surprised to have open ended questions which seems little weird and the expectations to answer these questions in a certain way.
      I would recommend going over questions like How many balls a sedan car can fit ?
      How many ice-creams are sold in US?? Then there are questions on System problems just ask them to give proper design and proper problem statements before answering or giving any answers to the panel. But really weird process.
      2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

Face to face technical round.
    It began an hour late, even when it was scheduled on a working day.

The guy did not had enough time to have a look at my resume beforehand. He asked me for a copy and started reading through it.
    It looked like he was forced and send on an uninteresting task, as he kept yawning.

The line of questioning was at random. I was asked to write the code starting from scratch including things like public class Test.
    And while I was writing the code, he was flipping through his phone, yawning and staring at the ceiling.

Interview Questions

• Write program to find second highest number from a list, without using sorting.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (Hyderabad (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

process is very simple , we will just make a call to you and you should respond to our call and you should give correct answers for the questions which we ask. thats all interview results will be said on the spot itself.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express in February 2010.

Interview

the recruitment process started with an hour long ppt of amex. After that a written test was taken which comprised of aptitude questions. the level of questions were easy to medium. Ample time of around 2 min per question was given to solve the paper. After that a 1:1 interview was done, which consisted of general HR questions and puzzles. then a gd round was conducted among the shortlisted students and final offers were made.