American Express Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

2.7

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Had an HR Phone Interview round. Followed by an in-person interview for about 2 hours for a technical and behavioural round. I feel like the company looks more for the technical skills vs soft skills. Anyone can acquire technical skills but it is hard to acquire soft skills, that describes the person you are and how would you fit in a team/company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

The process itself was not engaging and it felt like the interviewer was out to get you and stump you with questions. The interviewer lacked personality and often times gave very lackluster responses to questions. When asked about diversity and inclusion practices, he gave a weak response that I probably could have obtained by researching online.

Interview Questions

• Implement a method for the nth Fibonacci number both recursively and not recursively.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

On campus interview and flown out to Pheonix for Super Days. The Super Days included about 77 candidates of which they made offers to 20 of. Overall I thought it was a good interview process but the coding questions were a little unreasonable given the time contstraints

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

Very easy 30 minute phone interview. A few weeks later they flew me out to Phoenix for an onsite. The company building looks very nice. The onsite interview process is pretty easy as well. They ask you weird brain twister type problems for some reason which is a little archaic for modern tech companies (i.e how many jellybeans fit in a school bus). There is also a group coding interview where a group of 4-5 applicants solve a moderate difficulty Hackerrank problem. My recruiter was extremely condescending and rude so she made the experience stressful and negative. When you get an offer, you have to accept it within a week - no questions asked. Also their starting salary is much lower than most other companies (mostly because Phoenix has such low cost of living).

Interview Questions

• How many jelly beans can fit in a bus?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Two interviews back to back, it had behavioral and technical parts in both. Each part took about thirty minutes, so it took an hour overall. For the behavioral they want to know your greatest challenge and how you overcame it. Like other places they want to know how much you know about their company.

Interview Questions

• Overloading vs overriding, hashmaps (tinyurl), find the error in a snippet of a code, 2 & 4 = ?...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Applied through university and heard back within a week. Did a phone interview with a simple Java class coding question in an online editor and then was asked a lot of domain specific questions.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express in October 2016.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter at the career fair and was offered an interview the next week. 2 30 min interviews. Both were pretty much technical. People who passed the first round would to do a group coding challenge.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Express in October 2016.

Interview

Had two interviews with two different engineers. The interviewers are really nice. A little bit behavioral in the beginning and we jumped into coding part. The coding part was not hard at all. Just make sure you review basic Java stuffs before you go in.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express in October 2016.

Interview

Talked to tech recruiters at their booth at Grace Hopper about my background and interests and was referred to a more senior tech recruiter. He asked me a little about OOP and my background, and scheduled me for an interview later that day. That interview was pretty basic (mostly string manipulation and some OOP stuff). Did well so got another interview immediately following that. That interviewer asked a bit more about database stuff (which I didn't know as much about), as well as a brain teaser. Received a call for an offer the next week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

Dropped off resume at career fair, had two 30 minute on campus interviews (pretty straightforward, first year Java based (OOP, interfaces etc), experience off your resume). Got flown for on-site interview (Super Days) a couple of weeks after in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Interview had a coding challenge that composed of one person (hackerrank, linked lists and trees), and a team portion with four other interviewers (building front end website) and one technical interview. Approximately 20 people interviewing, unsure of how many got offers. Got asked about singletons which I was not familiar with

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the minute and hour hand at 12:00pm   Answer Question