American Express Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Express Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

The process itself was not engaging and it felt like the interviewer was out to get you and stump you with questions. The interviewer lacked personality and often times gave very lackluster responses to questions. When asked about diversity and inclusion practices, he gave a weak response that I probably could have obtained by researching online.

Interview Questions

• Implement a method for the nth Fibonacci number both recursively and not recursively.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

On campus interview and flown out to Pheonix for Super Days. The Super Days included about 77 candidates of which they made offers to 20 of. Overall I thought it was a good interview process but the coding questions were a little unreasonable given the time contstraints

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Two interviews back to back, it had behavioral and technical parts in both. Each part took about thirty minutes, so it took an hour overall. For the behavioral they want to know your greatest challenge and how you overcame it. Like other places they want to know how much you know about their company.

Interview Questions

• Overloading vs overriding, hashmaps (tinyurl), find the error in a snippet of a code, 2 & 4 = ?...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Applied through university and heard back within a week. Did a phone interview with a simple Java class coding question in an online editor and then was asked a lot of domain specific questions.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express in October 2016.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter at the career fair and was offered an interview the next week. 2 30 min interviews. Both were pretty much technical. People who passed the first round would to do a group coding challenge.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Express in October 2016.

Interview

Had two interviews with two different engineers. The interviewers are really nice. A little bit behavioral in the beginning and we jumped into coding part. The coding part was not hard at all. Just make sure you review basic Java stuffs before you go in.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express in October 2016.

Interview

Talked to tech recruiters at their booth at Grace Hopper about my background and interests and was referred to a more senior tech recruiter. He asked me a little about OOP and my background, and scheduled me for an interview later that day. That interview was pretty basic (mostly string manipulation and some OOP stuff). Did well so got another interview immediately following that. That interviewer asked a bit more about database stuff (which I didn't know as much about), as well as a brain teaser. Received a call for an offer the next week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

Dropped off resume at career fair, had two 30 minute on campus interviews (pretty straightforward, first year Java based (OOP, interfaces etc), experience off your resume). Got flown for on-site interview (Super Days) a couple of weeks after in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Interview had a coding challenge that composed of one person (hackerrank, linked lists and trees), and a team portion with four other interviewers (building front end website) and one technical interview. Approximately 20 people interviewing, unsure of how many got offers. Got asked about singletons which I was not familiar with

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the minute and hour hand at 12:00pm   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Meet with the recruiter on campus, got an interview the next week. The questions were fairly easy, but all about Java and SQL, which I didn't know about (Java nor SQL were on my resume).

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

Very long interview process. I applied in the beginning of January and didn't get the offer until the end of March.
    Back to back interview on the same day

Campus interview 1 - technical, no coding 30 minutes
    Campus interview 2 - purely technical, ran out of time, coded/talked 30 minutes
    Skype interview - purely technical 1 hr
    On Site - non technical at all which surprised me. Yours might be different be warned.

The onsite was in NY, 1 hr tour, 1 hr with director but mine was 20 minutes but in the end, they ran out of positions in the NY office and only offered me the Phoenix position. Such a turn around. Needed to follow up a lot with the recruiters which makes me feel like I was a back burner choice.

Interview Questions

• Campus interview 1 - traveling salesman problem
      Campus interview 2 - knapsack, sql, basic alg
      Skype interview - a lot of java concepts. Like diff between string and String buffer. Like I had to read up on common java concepts which helped so much. Some coding questions, but it was simple algorithm things. Also SQL, html, web programming, javascript. Be prepared, it might not be simple.
      On Site - no coding at all, thought I did good as a person, coding is not everything, but guess they chose someone else and relocated me for the Phoenix position.
      Answer Question